Best 3rd party CTF maps?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
C

CYBER PETE

I've got a 56k modem and can only download at about 4k a second.

In your opinion which custom CTF maps are a must have?

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
Only in my opinion:

CTF-Stronghold.
CTF-TwinValley.
CTF-CTF.
CTF-Deck16][ (yep someone converted the DM map to CTF hehe).
CTF-Decyberbridge.

bullet2.gif

My night is coloured headache grey. Don't wake me with so much.

el Gato

Has-Been
Jan 19, 2000
outside Raleigh NC
I'm a big fan of Killgore. Stronghold, Decyberbridge, and TwinValley are also good solid choices. And it seems like HallofGiants gets alot of time on servers, so that's another one to look for.

bullet2.gif

"All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." - J. Spicoli

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
I've heard good things about CTF-Diamond, but not played it yet.

Killgore <-- hard on the video card
TwinValley <-- not real pretty, but good design
HallofGiants <-- nice if you like low-grav
Orbital (orbital12?) <-- Love this one

bullet2.gif

Ain't found a waayy..to kill me yet...
nguid:167703

Bounca

Unemployed Loser
Jan 18, 2000
Visit site
Four in order of excellence:

Orbital (no question, big, placements great)
Decyberbridge (best asymetrical I've seen)
Twin Valley (lots o nook n' cranies)
Hall of Giants (unique award, get enough people and its a blast)

you want more huh...

Freespace (fun, but small)
Killgore (freeky, use that translocator)
Stronghold (good but sometimes buggy)

The overrated award goes to...

Arabian Nightmare (don't get it)

Frag on
--->el Gato /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

ty_Fortune

/~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gifDisclaimer: The Following Post is Fort's Opinion /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

I don't understand why everyone recommends CTF-Stronghold all the time. I mean, the level looks cool, the bases are really detailed. But the playability of it isn't that great at all.
-Theres a choke point between the two bases that makes it real easy for the other team to cut off the flag carrier(if they know what they're doing).
-Each base has a bunch of great sniping towers. But it is impractical to use them because all you can see from them is the mountain-side.
What would be a truly awsome level would be the CTF-Stronghold bases on the CTF-LavaGiant terrain. Or maybe the lava giant layout except even larger.
Despite the size of the Stronghold bases, the level still feels cramped.
I've yet to find a server where most of the people actually stayed when Stronghold came on. It's just not worth the download on a 56K in my opinon.

[This message has been edited by ty_Fortune (edited 01-21-2000).]

Mute

All you have to do is smile!
I think CTF-Stronghold is a very fun map... It takes a certain amount of team work (always the defining factor for me. If a map really rewards team work, I love it) and strategy, expecially for opening and closing the small gates at the appropriate times.

I don't believe that there really is such a choke hold. I assume you mean where the tunnel-bridge crosses over the ravine? Sure everyone has to pass through there, but to enforce that choke hold they also have to defend it. Which takes as much skill as holding the base because of the double-connectivity to that spot.

Anyway, my favorite 3rd party CTF maps, to this moment, are

CTF-Killgore
CTF-Stronghold
CTF-HallofGiants (If this counts as third party. Also, avoid this one on jumpmatch servers... talk about tedious...).

One that looks very promising that I haven't found on a server yet is CTF-2FortsinHell (i think that is the name). Mostly the same classic 2fort setup with some really nice changes, and nicely polished appearance.

-M-

[This message has been edited by mute (edited 01-21-2000).]

C

CYBER PETE

Thanks for the feed back I'll be sure to check all of them out. I have ORBITAL (my new favorite) and Twin Valley.

What ever happened to the map pack that the guys at EPIC were suppose to put out?

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Not out yet. They seem to be taking thier time.

Great. Let them. I've seen what happens when companies push products out the door (UO, U9:A, TA:K, C&C:TS, Cutthroats). I've seen what happens when companies take thier time (AOK, UT, Q3)

bullet2.gif

Ain't found a waayy..to kill me yet...
nguid:167703

Space Cruz

Dec 29, 1999
Baton Rouge, La, USA
Visit site
Rooster:

Diamond(sword)? I believe may be worth the download. I've only played it on my friend's lan setup and it looks really cool and has kickass redeemer usage potential.

Needless to say, it runs really well there; sort of like a Facing Worlds space deal, but with less sniper action (a good thing, IMHO)

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
Some CTF maps for a game off the beaten track:

CTF-UrbanReality: If you can stomach a large (7mb) d/l, you'll find that this map is pretty darn good. Red phone boxes, Underground (subway) stations and bases which double up as nightclubs. The design also kicks butt with lots of fraggin' in the streets and people's backyards.

CTF-Battlezone: Oh man, lots of strategy in this one. It's two bases with a WIDE open space in between, with a few walls and trenches scattered around. With a large amount of players (no less than 16) it can be really good with teams having to split into offence and defence and send out carefully planned attack waves.

CTF-Siberia][: This one takes place in a big Siberian base. There's plenty of places to show off your rocket and sniping skills, and the map is well designed too. I'd advise that you learn this map offline though as if you play it 'blind' online then you're gonna get lost.

CTF-Atari2600: Hehehehe you haven't PLAYED CTF until you've seen this one. It's basically a maze with two bases and steps either side. The nice thing about this map is that although the normal version is fine, playing it low-grav really turns everything on it's head. Flashback to the 80's! /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

Smooth like a rolo, cool like a polo. We commin' out wid da bad bwoy flow! Inside!

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I agree with Roosters picks...I haven't tried CTFSiberia yet...I loved DMSiberia in Unreal so it sounds promising. It seems like it would be really small.

bullet2.gif

Yes, I know I'm full of $I-IiT - but I'm inhuman dammit!

C

CYBER PETE

After checking out all of the maps listed above I'd have to say my favorite CTF custom maps are:

1) CTF-ORBITAL
2) CTF-TWIN VALLEY
3) CTF-DIAMOND

I really liked DECYBERIDGE but dam those bots are dumb as hell! I had them on adept and one of the bots took the other teams flag and then stood on one of the elevators for about 10 minutes! WTF! Come on people you've got to program the bots!

[This message has been edited by CYBER PETE (edited 01-22-2000).]

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I assume you're asking me whether or not I meant Tundra? If so...no. Siberia was originally a DMmap that Ebolt made for Unreal. Check it out at NaliCity. Actually just check out Siberia][ for UT...same thing.

bullet2.gif

Yes, I know I'm full of $I-IiT - but I'm inhuman dammit!