Networking Question

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jesco

Jul 7, 2001
Hamburg, Germany
forums.beyondunreal.com
Now this is a kinda tricky question.

A pal of mine and I live in a student's hostel which already has an ethernet network along with internet. However, it's a rather crappy 1 GB per month limit thing, so we decided to get ourselves DSL.

However, we our apartements are almost as far away from each other as possible, so the question is how to connect both our rooms to a single DSL line.

My ideas are:

1) Get a router and plug it into the ethernet-plug in my wall. Problem: Everybody in the house can now use that connection (NOT good).

2) Get a WLAN router and network card. Pro: Easy and just plain cool. Con: Roughly 5-7 15cm thick walls, the whole distance is about 40m.

3) A Linux PC as router, along with some sort of authentication.

My dream solution would be a DSL hardware router which allows you to enter specific MAC addresses which may use the connection and blocks all other addresses.

So, any hints?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Most routers offer the type of authentication you are talking about if you pay for them. The brand new ones from most mfrs. will let you turn on access control.