PDA

View Full Version : Issues with Jailbreak III - SP2 (GOLD) ?

Sexmachine
22nd Jul 2003, 08:06 AM
I am bugging the JB CoreDev team with collecting/posting reports of remaining issues/minor probs with Jailbreak III (SP2) at the moment. So if you know about something that does not work as expected, feel free to reply to this thread (try to add as much detail as possible to help us reproducing/hunting down the problem).

This is not to be mistaken as a promise for another version of JB3 (SP3) because right now there are no human resources left (while working on JB2003) to look into JB3 issues.

Trueblood
25th Jul 2003, 03:12 AM
I havent found a bug in ages! most of the things i find are to do with the map.
Have you thought much about the escaping from jail with llama thing i told you about? It did happen again, but from the other team :lol:

ZedMaestro
27th Jul 2003, 06:28 PM
Unfortunately, I have a few bug. It could be the map or it could be JB Gold, but I dont know.

Basically, I found that JB-Pharynx had an "assertion failed" error simply when i clicked on the map to vote for it, and that would be it. UT crashes back to the desktop, and I have to reconnect. Annying.

More recently, JB-Babylon has come under the same bug. I'm pretty sure that it was OK when JB-Pharynx wasnt, but now they are both broken.

It could be all these UTPure XX whatever thingies that have appeared, though i dunno, maybe maps just break with too much playing and old age ;) . However what I am pretty certain about is that these errors started after I installed the thired custom map pack. Maybe it could have slowly corrupted some files, or overwritten incorrectly some others. (I got the UMod version).

Also, a while ago now, I had a UTPure XX thingy deem that I was impure. How bout that eh ;) . It happened on JB-Furia or JB-Freya, one of em, first time around I think, though i dont think the map has anything to do with this. It prevented me from playing for more than about half an hour to 45mins at a time without having to reconnect. :( . Anyway, it hasnt happened since, so thats good...

I have reinstalled all the jailbreak stuff many times, but it still doesnt fix the problem.

So that you know without having to ask, the relevant details of what I have are:
P4
2Ghz
512Ram
64VideoRam
40GB HDD (13.8GB free atm)
UT version 436 (451 crashes UEd2)

I dunno, but anyway, once JB2003 is out I'm not very likely to place JB Gold, unless I hate JB2003 (ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE) or I really want to play some of the classics again. Although it would be nice to have em all working...

Sexmachine
29th Jul 2003, 05:12 AM
I have received a PM from DF-Jannel two days ago and I think it might fit in here well:

Hi, I'm the administrator of the Dutch-fighters server and have some problems with JB:

Sometimes after playing several JB-maps, people can't find our server. Not within unreal nor in qtracker. Even the webadmin doesn't work. The only way that people can connect is tru open location. When the server changes to anything other then JB, then everything is ok. Even when the server after that switches to JB.

One other problems is that we have sometimes critical errors when playing JB, but I think that that is caused by the map.

The last problem is that sometimes the sniperrifle doesn't shoot, the only thing to do is feighn death or throw the weapon and pick it up, after that the problem is solved.

Do you know a other solution for those problems ?
Greetz DF-Jannel

Mychaeel
29th Jul 2003, 05:47 AM
Web admin and/or the master server uplink not working is something I have previously heard unrelated to Jailbreak already; so I don't believe it's a Jailbreak-specific problem or anything we could do something about.

The Sniper Rifle issue is very strange, but somewhat reminds me of the UTPure issue we're seeing ourselves on Sexmachine's server (weapon functional, but not displayed until switched). Jailbreak doesn't do anything about Unreal Tournament's weapon code, so I wouldn't know where to start looking for a Jailbreak bug here.

Is that one of the servers running a "Sniper Arena" mutator?

Sexmachine
29th Jul 2003, 05:48 AM
@ZedMaestro:
Try to reinstall the afflicted maps and make sure you have enough HDD space left after the installation (on the drive your OS resides - should be C: and on the drive your UT is on) as this might be caused by some swapping issue. As noone else reported probs with Pharynx and Babylon after installing the CMP#3 I doubt it has anything to do with that (and NO, the JB maps do not age ... hehe).
UTPure is known to cause weird problems sometimes and if you're having constant problems with it, I can just give you the standard hint (taken from the UTPure forums): Clear the cache of UT (delete everything that's in the UT\Cache directory) and delete all UTPure related files in your UT\System directory (BP1HandlerXX.u, BP4HandlerXX.u, UTPureRCXX.u and UTPureRCXX.int) as it's best to let the servers send you the needed UTPure files (as long as you are not a MAC/LINUX user).

@DF_Jannel:
It is known that a JB server sometimes does not show up in the serverbrowser (and is unreachable via WebAdmin too) but usually this effect is gone immediately after a mapchange (switching from one JB map to another should do). Looks like this is the price we pay for having that 'fast' JB servertab.
The same goes for the UT crashes (I assume you are talking about the clientside 'GeneralProtectionFault' crashes). According to Wormbo, some maps seem to have a "garbage collecting problem" (e.g. JB-Community, JB-Darkarix and others with some mapping extravaganza) and it looks like there is nothing we can do about it.
The prob with the sniperrifle is another thing that may be caused by UTPure, as there are a lot of postings over at their forum (http://forums.utpure.com/) about similar issues somehow related to the sniper - take this one (http://forums.utpure.com/showthread.php?t=1294&highlight=sniper) as an example.

df-jannel
29th Jul 2003, 02:43 PM
I didn't mean the clientside ut crash, that also happends, but I mean the server self.
Here is a example of the crash from the serverlogfile.

DevNet: Client passed challenge
DevNet: Login request: JB-TheEye3.unr?Name=-=maikel=-?Class=BotPack.TMale1?Team=1?skin=CommandoSkins.cmdo?Face=CommandoSkins.Blake ?Voice=BotPack.VoiceMaleOne?Checksum=0c12583cc3296b8a0a133d52b1eea60d?game=Jailbreak.Jailbreak
Critical: AActor::TestCanSeeMe
Critical: AActor::PlayerCanSeeMe
Critical: UObject::ProcessEvent
Critical: (BulletBox JB-TheEye3.BulletBox45977, Function Engine.Inventory.Pickup.Timer)
Critical: AActor::Tick
Critical: TickAllActors
Critical: ULevel::Tick
Critical: (NetMode=1)
Critical: TickLevel
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
Critical: UpdateWorld
Critical: UServerCommandlet::Main
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Exiting.
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Uninitialized: Log file closed, 07/28/03 22:42:59

After that the server restart and start with our standard map.

Btw this happends to several JB maps!

Sexmachine
29th Jul 2003, 04:33 PM
Oh yeah - I do remember that one, as we have had a veeeeeeeery long thread about this error in our forums before the forumcrash (about 2 month ago) and I still do have this problem over at our server too ... sorry to say, but we don't know the reason for this annoying crash yet. :(

CoolDude
5th Aug 2003, 07:07 PM
A couple of things sprung into my mind.
I'm not sure which exactly are Jailbreak related.

1) The servers not showing under the JailBreak tab, as already mentioned a couple of times.

2) When I enter and become a llama, I sometimes can't see my weapons (like today in miniFace). Even switching weapons or getting killed don't help. It stays that way for the complete map. The only thing that fixes it is switching to another map. I'm not sure if it's map related.

3) Jail doors not opening when the NYGirl tells me that the team is released (Construction, Nifam). This mostly happens when the door was already open a couple of seconds before that.

4) When an arena battle is comming up, and I just have been killed in jail, the arena battle is skipped.

5) .... eh, what was it .... I forgot.

Just minor problems.
:cool:

Sexmachine
5th Aug 2003, 07:31 PM
Quality feedback here ... thanks CoolDude. :)

About 1: Just like you have said, that was mentioned before and afaik is something we have to live with because it's basically a problem with the master server (or to be more precise, the server JB makes use of to gather information and show up in the server tab)

About 2: To me that sounds like another issue with UTPure ... would be interesting to know if reconnecting to the server is some sort of help/fix ... can you look after that please?

About 3: This one is some sort of a map issue and is known to happen in maps where releases happen quite frequently ... I am afraid but it's nothing that can be fixed by changing the core JB code afaik.

About 4: This one really is something to keep in mind (when thinking about a possible JB3 SP3) ... shouldn't be a big problem to somehow 'protect' players (from getting killed) when picked to do an arena battle (not that I do know anything about coding it ... but there still is that genius of a coder called Mych or Mychaeel if you know what I am talking about).

About 5: Don't worry ... as that one has been fixed already! :D

KrazyK
5th Aug 2003, 08:49 PM
Just one thing I noticed on Sunday while trying to use GameVoice. The jailbreak announcer does not seem to be affected by changing the announcer volume slider.:confused:

TheSpoonDog
6th Aug 2003, 01:39 AM
The jailbreak announcer does not seem to be affected by changing the announcer volume slider. :confused:That might just be UTPure or something because I couldn't turn my music off with the slider the other day either.

Mychaeel
6th Aug 2003, 02:26 AM
About 4: This one really is something to keep in mind (when thinking about a possible JB3 SP3) ... shouldn't be a big problem to somehow 'protect' players (from getting killed) when picked to do an arena battle

This behavior is by design. A player can easily protect him- or herself when selected for an arena fight by not engaging in a hammer fight (given that the server admin hasn't used JBMadmen to explicitly override team damage in jail); three seconds should be enough time to switch back to a normal weapon.

Sexmachine
6th Aug 2003, 04:35 AM
That might just be UTPure Could be, as the latest Pure (6D/6E) is known to disable the volume sliders while being connected to a server (dunno why, but that'S the way it goes).This behavior is by design. Aah, ok. But at times where players are already involved in hammerfights (and thus having less health) it's really hard to be fast enough not to die (plus this somehow makes JBMadmen even more annoying - not my thoughts, but lots of other players told me they disliked JBMadmen while it was enabled on our server).

Mychaeel
6th Aug 2003, 04:43 AM
Dying during the countdown is not an issue. Just being dead when the fight would start prevents an arena fight. If you're killed in the moment the countdown starts, you'll just respawn in jail and the fight starts as scheduled.

plus this somehow makes JBMadmen even more annoying - not my thoughts, but lots of other players told me they disliked JBMadmen while it was enabled on our server

I remember being one of them.

Sexmachine
6th Aug 2003, 04:56 AM
Just being dead when the fight would start prevents an arena fightAnyways, looks like it IS happening quite often to some people (CoolDude, me, anybody else?) :)
I remember being one of them. ... now that you say it - lol ;) :D

Mychaeel
6th Aug 2003, 05:02 AM
If JBMadmen is used to override the normal invulnerability of jailed players, small wonder to that. Otherwise it's just human failure, nothing the game can do anything about.

For what it's worth, Jailbreak 2003 does that differently as well and spawns an arena candidate in the arena regardless of whether he's dead or alive. Jailbreak III on the other hand just teleports the player to the arena instead of respawning him, so that just doesn't work for a dead player.

Sexmachine
6th Aug 2003, 05:42 AM
For what it's worth, Jailbreak 2003 does that differently as well and spawns an arena candidate in the arena regardless of whether he's dead or alive. Sounds good and would be similar (in the result) to some sort of protection for chosen arena fighters in JB3. The one reason (you already pointed out in the CoreDev forum) NOT to do this is the fact that it'll take away the player's option to commit suicide to avoid an arena battle.

Right now I still feel insecure if it is
- not a good idea aka. undesireable
- too hard to implement
- just not worth the hassle

Rob
6th Aug 2003, 05:47 AM
In one map (Phasma ?) I remember the release message is echoing, at least online.

Mychaeel
6th Aug 2003, 05:59 AM
Right now I still feel insecure if it is
- not a good idea aka. undesireable
- too hard to implement
- just not worth the hassle

As for Jailbreak III I strongly feel it's just not worth the hassle. If it's really an issue, make that protection a mutator; that should be easy enough. Or make a mutator that automatically switches an arena candidate's weapon back from the Impact Hammer if people don't manage to do so themselves within a second after the countdown starts.

At the end of the day it's a design decision, and I frankly do not think that being able to suicide in the right moment to avoid an arena fight is a feature worth preserving. In Jailbreak III the code philosophy which was inherited from earlier versions made it virtually impossible to spawn a dead player in the arena; so players are merely relocated on their start positionsin the arena instead of being respawned there (the teleport effect is just for show), and changing that would have meant redesigning far larger parts of the Jailbreak code.

Mychaeel
6th Aug 2003, 06:05 AM
In one map (Phasma ?) I remember the release message is echoing, at least online.

Due to an engine limitation Jailbreak has to employ a rather hacky means to play announcements when there's a chance that the player switches viewpoints while the announcement is running (jailed players being executed and switching to the execution cam, for instance; or jailed players being released and thus set back to their own point of view from a CameraSpot).

The solution used by Jailbreak III involves playing the same announcement on several channels at once to obtain a decent sound level as the volume control doesn't go as high as it would be desirable. Normally, that just results in the desired effect of a louder sound; very rarely the engine messes up for some reason and plays the different channels with a slight time offset, resulting in a weird echoing effect.

There's little we could do about this.

TheSpoonDog
9th Aug 2003, 09:11 AM
This is probably a UTPure bug, but...

When playing JB-Freya][-III, a player on the other team said they were stuck in jail after a capture, and couldn't move etc (they commited suicide to be in the game properly again). Then after I got captured, the same happened to me - I was stuck in the widescreen sequence viewing an empty jail while the game went on. I was able to switch to the view of another bot on my team, then back to myself and that brought my view back to normal (apart from the enforcer missing as usual).

Sexmachine
9th Aug 2003, 11:01 AM
I remember a similar prob I had last thursday. I commited suicide (hitting a wall with a flak-cannon shrappnel by accident) but instead of respawning in jail my view 'froze' at that point (forcing me to stare at that damn wall) - changing the view did not work and the only thing left for me to do was reconnecting (UT itself was still alive).

Some other people did mention problems with disappearing weapons (not just right after a respawn) so all this looks like another great feature of UTPure to me. :(

Birelli
9th Aug 2003, 11:32 AM
Is it worth even running UTPure? Have you seen anyone who could have been an aimbotter ever get kicked by it? It just seems like until we have such a problem it might not be worth all these "features" to have cheat-protection.

Mychaeel
9th Aug 2003, 11:45 AM
...at least maybe it'd be worth reverting to UTPure53, the last version that was tested and confirmed to be fully compatible with Jailbreak III. That should already kill a majority of cheats while avoiding all the problems that came with later versions.

Sexmachine
9th Aug 2003, 11:53 AM
Imo using an outdated cheat protection is like using an outdate anti-virus product (pretty useless) besides that there is only one problem that's caused by the latest UTPure for sure (the weapon disappearing at respawn bug, which is annoying but not a real problem as switching/picking up weapons make 'em reappear).

KrazyK
10th Aug 2003, 01:48 PM
I've had it with the latest version of UTPure:mad:. Could we please go back to a version that actually works with JB? :(

Angie
10th Aug 2003, 01:48 PM
Some other people did mention problems with disappearing weapons (not just right after a respawn) so all this looks like another great feature of UTPure to me. :(

I had exactly that problem on thursday. Even if I tried to change the weapon or took a new one, it didnīt appear.
The only solution was a disconnect and a reconnect to the server. And this did not happen after a respawn. :(

Mychaeel
10th Aug 2003, 01:59 PM
Imo using an outdated cheat protection is like using an outdate anti-virus product (pretty useless)

Not quite, as cheats don't spread by themselves. Granted, chances are higher with a newer version of cheat protection to catch all potential cheaters, but using an older version still bans all cheats save for the latest, most elaborate and thus rarest ones.

Without any cheat protection it'd cost an experienced coder just minutes to create a functional aimbot. There is a distinct difference between running an older version of a cheat protection tool and running none at all.

Sexmachine
10th Aug 2003, 06:30 PM
Maybe it'd be worth reverting to UTPure53Could we please go back to a version that actually works with JB?The MotherShip server is running the latest UTPG (http://www.utpg.org/) patch V451 and unfortunately just the last three versions of UTPure (6C,D or E) do support this patch. Downgrading to UTPure53 (and thus downgrading to UT V436) would open up a couple of security holes and offer cheaters a lot of possibilities that "could" take away the fun from playing at the Mo'ship.

Hopefully the next UTPG patch is coming along with a working MD5 protection (as we may get rid of UTPure that way) ...