PDA

View Full Version : Power Outage

QAPete
22nd Jul 2003, 06:52 AM
BeyondUnreal experienced a nasty power outage last night, causing some unexpected downtime. Everything is back up now, but our treasured record uptime of 307 days since our last reboot is his-to-ry. Everything's fine now (thanks to battery backup and a clean shutdown of the servers), so while we're catching up on news, you can hammer the forums!

UPDATE: More strong storms are expected this evening, so it's certainly possible that we'll be powering down again. Better safe than sorry!

DeRailer
22nd Jul 2003, 07:43 AM
and i thought it's just me. :p

BesigedB
22nd Jul 2003, 10:09 AM
get yourself a surge protected ups ;)

15 minutes is usually plenty of time for a cut

The Twiggman
22nd Jul 2003, 10:33 AM
Ya it is better to be on the safe side. I was wondering about that last night though. Well that explains everything.

Ulukai
22nd Jul 2003, 01:01 PM
get yourself a surge protected ups ;)

15 minutes is usually plenty of time for a cut

I used to think that too. Then I had 8 servers die on me after draining the UPSs. 7 of them were ok, the eighth had a word with my good friend Fubar and it was into the safe to dig out the backups :)

MalHavoc
22nd Jul 2003, 01:16 PM
the servers are on a UPS. the power was off for most of the night. Pete shut the machines down safely using the 15 minutes the UPS gave him.

KJAX
22nd Jul 2003, 01:32 PM
It's always better to be safe than without a server.

[UM]theswarm
22nd Jul 2003, 07:22 PM
Thunderstorm my ass, Pete was just running the microwave and the dishwasher at the same time. :D

LHABulldog6
23rd Jul 2003, 01:39 AM
:lol: My mom blew out all the lights in the house making tea when we had our Christmas lights up. It wouldnt have been a big deal, had it not happened twice.