Who's Made/Making something for the contest?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
So who here has been or is planning to be a part of a mod mutator map etc to submit to the make something unreal contest?

Unfortunatly I don't have any development skills. I can make a pretty box, and a mutator that says hello world that's about it. Who knows though next deadline isn't till october.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
It's too bad Epic doesn't have an adequate site for such a big contest. The first one they ran featured an extensive site with pics, download links, forums, and more. This one has... well, nothing really.

It was also nice having people from the community vote on the winners (I got to vote, was a lot of fun).

Bazzi

Wearing pink
Apr 22, 2001
Germany
www.bazzinet.info
hal said:
It's too bad Epic doesn't have an adequate site for such a big contest. The first one they ran featured an extensive site with pics, download links, forums, and more. This one has... well, nothing really.

It was also nice having people from the community vote on the winners (I got to vote, was a lot of fun).

They promised to make a site with the entries considered for winning when they went thru all entires once (so that we dont have to search good stuff in all that crap ;) remember there are ~320 entries sent in)

OnTopic: I worked on DeathBall which has been submitted to the contest!

Swift Viper

Long live Xmas Xan Mark III(By Hyrulian)
Modding: Mess around with a few things, like basic weapon stats and anything else I know came from looking at other code from the Xpaks, so I have no coding skills, yet.

Mapping: I can make basic terrain, set pickups, and jumppads. As for UT, basic movers, teleporters, and basic bot pathing. I wonder if those skills can move right over to UnrealEd 3.0. I only want to make a map when I have a creavtive idea, but I came up with one and the only way to do that is to use warpzones, that I never used before and not sure if their even in UT2k3. Other words, low mapping skills in UT and even worse in UT2k3 due to high detail levels "needs".

Maybe if I learn to map I can enter something, but my lazyness is holding me back from trying.

DeadEyeNick

Dec 30, 2000
I'm learning 3dsmax to fufill a concept art I always wanted to do. If all is well, I might enter p2, though I won't dare dream about being up there with the vets.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
The vets? I'd think that they'd judge a lot of this on gameplay. If that's true all you need to win is a really really good idea, the time, and the dedication to put into learning and creating.

I challenge everyone on this forum to learn a content creation skill if you don't already have one. Mapping coding skinning whatever. Make the best you can (even if your best is complete crap) and then submit it. Just for the fun of it and because what you learn. Am I the only one here that gets driven insane when you have an idea but it'll probably never see the light of day? Learning to make a map is not hard, so why not?

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Bazzi said:
They promised to make a site with the entries considered for winning when they went thru all entires once (so that we dont have to search good stuff in all that crap ;) remember there are ~320 entries sent in)

OnTopic: I worked on DeathBall which has been submitted to the contest!
I must have missed the announcement about the site, but it'd still be more fun if we all got a vote in it instead of them telling us what is good.

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
I'm working on reviewing them!! :p

But seriously, I am. I've reviewed a lot of the mods released thus far and sorted out the crap. I should try to make a map for it, not that I'd win but...just for fun.

DeadEyeNick

Dec 30, 2000
Best level needs to be presentable, ie if your work simplily have a good gameplay but just average graphic, the judges would pick the map with above average gameplay and great graphic because it's more presentable. Have always been like that.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
The 'public' can already vote ... by downloading the things and playing them. There's no need for an additional voting-round in a contest ...
(I'm glad there isn't a voting-round, because now the no-name mods/mutators/maps/utilities at least have a chance at showing how good they are. I've yet to see any reliable method of voting on the internet ... )

As for the contest ... for fase 1 I've submitted my Powerpills-mutator and my Botmanager v2.0

And I'm thinking of creating a mod/gametype/mutator to enter in fase 2 - 3 as there's at least a few ideas that could be 'interesting' ... if I can find the time to build them is. I only hope I can create a decent map to go with them, because 'CTF-largeCubeWithoutWeapons' is my best at this moment ... ;)

CaSCaDe

gaem freak in 3 dimensions
Apr 7, 2000
somewhere you are not!
www.bart.ahk.nl
ive entered 2 maps this phase and am already working on a new one for teh second phase, also worked on over load (modeled the stupid base thingy :D ) and am currantly working on some other mod to, might also enter some player model thingies in the second or thirth phase

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
No user ever tries out all mods or maps in a category and you can't vote for something if you don't know the alternatives.
It's a good thing Epic doesn't make this a popularity contest which it would have been if Epic let the users decide.

Oh yeah, almost forgot: I entered Mercury Missile InstaGib into the contest. I don't expect too much, but it's fun and maybe the Epic guys (or whoever tests it) like it. :)

Last edited:

CaSCaDe

gaem freak in 3 dimensions
Apr 7, 2000
somewhere you are not!
www.bart.ahk.nl
for the ones that are insterested, here are my contributions to the contest, i know they arent much, but i had nothing better to do any how :p

DM-Nystic:
Nystic_shot_0.jpg

Download

CTF-Haunted

Haunted_03.jpg

Download

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Bazzi said:
Oh no, please no Uservotes...

Not that they should decide the outcome, but it just did a lot to help get people interested in all phases of the contest instead of sitting back and waiting for the "short list". Not everybody's short list would be the same and some good content might get overlooked. :)

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
A friend told me to enter Ut2k3Mi and so I did.
But I guess the competition will be keen. There are a lot of good tools out.
But one can always hope... :)