PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle/motorcycle mod reasonable?

gamemaker
19th Jul 2003, 01:56 PM
In an interview, CliffyB mentioned that with the "Karma" physics engine, UT2003 is well-suited to creating vehicle physics.

What's your opinion on this? What I want to do is create arcade-quality motorcycle physics. Nothing too simmy, more like the physics of the motorcycles in GTA3. Is this practical/reasonable to do in the UT2003 game engine?

Nemephosis
21st Jul 2003, 08:18 PM
sure it's practical. In fact, something like it's been done. Check around for Unrealspeed for UT2K3.

Pxtl
24th Jul 2003, 01:07 PM
sure it's practical. In fact, something like it's been done. Check around for Unrealspeed for UT2K3.

What I'm surprised at is that there isn't more people just making new vehicles for vanilla UT2k3. Everything has to be a giant-freaking total conversion. Hell, there are hardly any maps even using the Bulldog.

I'd love to see a nice variety of vehicles in UT - how about a convertible? Where one player drives, and it has a platform for the other player to shoot from? Imagine that for BR or CTF. A bike (where the player's weapon becomes fixed-forward) would be awesome for CTF - like a ground bound Strangelove.

There's an excellent level in old Battlezone '98 which was nothing but discarded tanks and vehicles lying around. You spawned in on foot, and you could hop into a tank - but if you abandoned the tank and it was destroyed, that would cost you a frag. So, once you'd claimed a tank, it was your responsibility until it was destroyed (this prevented hopping from vehicle to vehicle to rehealth). Sure, play mechanics like that would have to be revised, but it could be good.

Nemephosis
24th Jul 2003, 02:23 PM
I don't like big giant total conversions. I want to play UT2K3. If you want to make a big freakin total conversion, go the full step and make your own game or something.

Pxtl
25th Jul 2003, 08:01 AM
Neme - my point exactly. UT has such a wonderful system of Mutators and map-mutes that allows devs to mix and match to their hearts content. Yet, everyone wants to make a TC. I'd rather just see some nice "expansion pack" style content for UT2k3. Just new vehicles, new weapons, new gametypes, and some new maps and mutes to get those into the regular game.

Nemephosis
25th Jul 2003, 05:24 PM
I'm just a bit more blunt about mine is all. ;)