PDA

View Full Version : Why do alot of people name text files readme?

Swift Viper
18th Jul 2003, 09:27 AM
Normally when I download files for games, the readme files gives information about what the file does and stuff, but why do alot of people name it plain readme? Don't they know alot of other people name the files the same thing and get overwritten? It only takes a couple of extra seconds to use the name of the file that was downloaded. Either I have to rename the txt file myself or it gets overwritten in the next file that uses the same name. I'm tried of getting "Do you want to replace the file readme?" when unzipping files because people can't take a little bit of time to use a different name. People please, stop using the name plain readme for text files and use the name of the file that comes with it, only takes a couple of extra seconds or so, calling it *Mod Name* is enough. This also goes for the name Installation.

I know, nitpickly, but I had to post it to get it off my mind.

Arcturus
18th Jul 2003, 09:32 AM
It is kind of annoying, but I think 'readme' is one of those really old computer traditions that will never be gotten rid of. Hey, I had readme files on my Amiga, and that's going back a fair while.

But yeah, I know what you mean about the replace file thing, and it does get pretty annoying. If the readme part has to stay in, why not at least call it 'readme-nameofthing.txt' or something. :)

Mychaeel
18th Jul 2003, 09:34 AM
I think you'd get a better target audience in the Unreal Tournament 2003 (http://forums.beyondunreal.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131) or Coding (http://forums.beyondunreal.com/forumdisplay.php?f=101) forums.

For what it's worth, I agree with you. In return I'd wish users would actually read readme files, though.

NeoNite
18th Jul 2003, 09:39 AM
No no it's not nitpicky. You're right.

example:
The amount of ut maps I've seen which came with a "readme" file..
Instead of simply giving it the map's name!!!
say: Dm-blah-readme
or simply Dm-blah.
That simple.

What is so hard about doing that? :confused:

Renaming it myself doesn't really bother me, but I shouldn't be doing it in the first place! >_<
Oh and btw: I read every single txt file...Some only have 2 or 3 lines "this is my level go play it now thanks" or many paragraphs. Hey no problem...

Just don't automatically use the name "readme" and leave it like that.
:-/

Mychaeel
18th Jul 2003, 09:45 AM
While we're ranting, I wish mappers would see to it that their maps are a single .ut2 file instead of the map file itself plus a host of additional files that need to be installed separately into different subdirectories. Or at very least mappers (and mod developers) could see to it that their .zip files contain the right subdirectory structure so that it's sufficient to simply extract the archive into the UT2003 base directory.

That'd allow me to test-run a map directly from the archiver window instead of having to go through the trouble of installing all files, running the map via the UT2003 interface and then manually removing it again if I don't like it.

Swift Viper
18th Jul 2003, 09:47 AM
Renaming it myself doesn't really bother me, but I shouldn't be doing it in the first place! >_<That is how I feel, or "cleaning up after someone's mess".

Mychaeel: Do you mean I should copy and paste the thread in the UT2k3 fourms too?

Mychaeel
18th Jul 2003, 09:51 AM
Oh and btw: I read every single txt file...Some only have 2 or 3 lines "this is my level go play it now thanks" or many paragraphs. Hey no problem...

Well, naturally only those people who do not read readme files write angry emails because something doesn't work the way they think it should in spite of the explanation in the readme file, so my perception may be biased. It's a sad fact though that there are still enough people who wouldn't even think of reading any sort of readme file or manual when they know they're stuck.

More reason to make mods (and software in general) so fool-proof and intuitive that reading a manual really becomes optional. That's simple self-defense on the developers' part...

Mychaeel
18th Jul 2003, 09:52 AM
Mychaeel: Do you mean I should copy and paste the thread in the UT2k3 fourms too?

Actually I think it should be moved there. Maybe a kind admin could see to that.

Swift Viper
18th Jul 2003, 09:58 AM
Like Mychaeel said, could this thread be moved their admins please?

NeoNite
18th Jul 2003, 10:01 AM
Taken from the Xidia readme:

Requirements: The latest version of OLDSKOOL. You need this to run the game properly. You also need Epic Bonus Pack 4 and UT patch 436. Team Phalanx is not responible for any assclowns that do not already have these files and get angry that the game doesnt load properly. YOU HAVE BEEN TOLD WHAT YOU NEED.

I love that part :-) It' so true. Most (most likely?) people just don't bother with any "readme" files.
Hence, they get into trouble and get upset...

IF something goes wrong, I immediatly reread the "readme" file to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Mychaeel
18th Jul 2003, 10:08 AM
I love that part :-) It' so true. Most (most likely?) people just don't bother with any "readme" files.
Hence, they get into trouble and get upset...

While I agree that those users just get what they deserve, that observation doesn't help a lot---as a mod developer you'll still get a load of clueless and/or angry emails that you can either choose to ignore (not good for your user/fan base) or have to reply to anyway.

Swift Viper
18th Jul 2003, 10:30 AM
I say ignore e-mails like that. Wasting time flamming back to them won't make things any better and they still won't read the file anyway, unless you "force" the file to pop-up after the Umod set was finish. They could still however close the file right away without reading anything, and if they keep on e-mailing back saying they can't get it to work (2 or more e-mails), use the block e-mail option. But is this not good fan/user base that Mychaeel is taking about?

However, when I downloaded one file, it had a file type that was different from any file I seen before and had no idea what to do with it. I check the readme and it did not tell me how to use it and it even said "don't e-mail if you can't get it to work" or something like that. Saying that WILL get you angey mail because you did not tell them how to set it up.

DRT-Maverick
18th Jul 2003, 11:19 AM
They don't deserve flaming either. Suggesting is a good idea... I'll start naming my files that are released with my maps with their names first then readme. If NaliCity eccepts.

It's just following a tradition. That's why I named mine Readme.txt.

Mychaeel
18th Jul 2003, 12:00 PM
I say ignore e-mails like that. Wasting time flamming back to them won't make things any better and they still won't read the file anyway, unless you "force" the file to pop-up after the Umod set was finish. They could still however close the file right away without reading anything, and if they keep on e-mailing back saying they can't get it to work (2 or more e-mails), use the block e-mail option. But is this not good fan/user base that Mychaeel is taking about?

When I wrote "you have to reply to [those emails] anyway" I actually didn't mean "flame them into oblivion for not reading the readme file." That, indeed, would be neither constructive nor particularly nice and certainly not suited for keeping a user base healthy. Of course you'll reply to any user request in a constructive, polite manner, or you'd really be better off ignoring them.

Replying "rtfm (http://org.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?string=exact&acronym=rtfm)" does not qualify as "polite" or "constructive," even if I can sometimes relate to the sentiment that makes people say it anyway. As a rule of thumb, if more than two people independently stumble over the same thing, you should start thinking about improving your software (or its documentation).

Euphoric Beaver
18th Jul 2003, 12:04 PM
Eh? Am I the only one that reads the readme.txt in the archive then extracts just the needed files?

Mychaeel
18th Jul 2003, 01:30 PM
Why should an archive contain more than the needed files?

Euphoric Beaver
18th Jul 2003, 01:33 PM
I don't consider the readme.txt as needed to play so I read it then don't bother to extract it.

WebSlinger
18th Jul 2003, 01:37 PM
Some people package readme.txt into their UMOD and it will (without prompt) overwrite any existing file of the same name. This is why I only download non-umod if possible.

Captain Kewl
18th Jul 2003, 01:39 PM
I wish more authors of atomic mods or mutators would learn to compile resources into a single .u. If the total weight of the mod, including all resources, is less than a few hundred K, there's really no reason why it needs to be split up across 50 different texture and staticmesh packages.

NeoNite
18th Jul 2003, 02:00 PM
While I agree that those users just get what they deserve, that observation doesn't help a lot---as a mod developer you'll still get a load of clueless and/or angry emails that you can either choose to ignore (not good for your user/fan base) or have to reply to anyway.

And of course when you send a reply there's no need for it to be offensive :) and ignoring is the worst you probably can do. Well, I'm no mod developper, but I'm using common sense here.

But I'm sure there will be people who will "get the best" out of you.. if you know what I'm trying to say?

Radiosity
18th Jul 2003, 02:00 PM
While we're ranting, I wish mappers would see to it that their maps are a single .ut2 file instead of the map file itself plus a host of additional files that need to be installed separately into different subdirectories.

Thank you for bringing that one up :) Very few things bug me more than having to install multiple files from an archive when, frankly, the mapper could have placed all custom content in the myLevel package and kept the file count to 2 - map file and readme.

At this point, a very big thank you (and indeed a chocolate cookie) go to Swedix for his excellent map installer :D

sharpfish
19th Jul 2003, 06:44 AM
I agree about the readme thing. I guess some people think they have just created the only file in existence ;)

I also DEFINATELY agree with this:

"While we're ranting, I wish mappers would see to it that their maps are a single .ut2 file instead of seperate files for textures, meshes etc"

This is so EASY to do, it has been done for years and still people will not work out how to do it, or don`t want to work out how to do it. Sometimes it stops me from installing maps unless they are really good from previews, because I do not want files in my ut resources folders that do not belong to the game.

FWIW I always Name a readme *mymapname_readme.txt* and I always put everything in the one .ut2 map file (and theres normall a lot of custom stuff in there).

Sharpfish