What are biped objects??

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The Wrath of God

Greetings from the PonR-mod team!
Jul 17, 2003
Visit site
First of all I want to thank u for reading this thread.

Following Problem:
I and my friends are working on a mod for ut2k3. I'm the modler, animator and skinner. Now, I stuck in the animation stuff. I have found tutorials how to animate charakters with bones, but the characters in ut2k3 are animated with ,,biped objects´´.So what are they exactly?? Are they equal to bones?? How must I use them?? Are there any good tutorials which handle this (because I nearly found nothing about them)??? I've tried to animate them but it didn't work.
I'm using 3ds max 4.2.

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
could you post a link to the source for the phrase "biped objects"? afaik, "biped" is a shortening of "bipedal", meaning going on two feet, so it may refer to a particular type of rigging for that effect, but it's hard to say without any context.

The Wrath of God

Greetings from the PonR-mod team!
Jul 17, 2003
Visit site
Thank u.

The source of this phrase comes from my 3ds max. In my max that's the name of these strange things.
I wanted to know this because my teammate in our mod wants to attach some meshes at the bones of the characters but know i've seen that the skelet of the models are made with biped objects so i have to know what they are exactly and if i can use them in the same way like bones.

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
The bounding boxes you see around the characters are the bones. Just rig your meshes to the skeleton in the usual way (Physique modifier, Initialize physique, then attach vertices to Links).

CaSCaDe

gaem freak in 3 dimensions
Apr 7, 2000
somewhere you are not!
www.bart.ahk.nl
a biped is basicly just a preconstucted bone set with all the IK (inverse kinamatics) already aplied, if you have installed character studio (which almost always comes with the package) go you your build menu then to the system tab in that meny, you should see a button called biped, basicly just draw it like you draw a box, once you have done this you will see a human like figure in the view ports, this is your basic skeletal structure, now in the build menu you will see some option for the skeleton, like how many fingers neck links and that sort off stuff, just adjust thouse till you have he right amount off everything for your model.

what you must do now i form the skeleton to your model (normaly you first build the biped and then start modeling, cuse that way its easier to rigg it later on) to do this you must go to the motions tab and select the lil stick figure there, that will enter figure mode, this will allow you to modify the biped with out making changes to the animation or base position, now set you biped to the desired positions and swith to animation mode (hit the stick man again) you are now ready to animate it

the basics off the animations with biped is that you have to key frame every bone/part off the biped by rotation and move ment, this is basicly done in the same manor as with normal animations, if you witch to auto key mode this will be done automaticly but does not always have the desired effect, an other good way is to use the "place keyframe" or "place multiple key frame" button in the animation menu for the biped. this takes alot off work, but does have the best result...

hope that helped you, if not, clarify what doesnt work or you dont understand about this post (my typing may be a bit off :p) and ill try to explain a bit better

GL