PDA

View Full Version : What I miss?

TWD
17th Jul 2003, 01:26 PM
I've been gone since last friday and it seems that quite a bit has happened. Apparantly a ton of mods, models, and levels have been released, along with the regular forum happenings.

So which new mods are worth checking out, and did anything else happen recently worth noting?

Metakill
17th Jul 2003, 03:25 PM
Chaos Evolution (which is awesome) and Face Off are the most popular. Conquest Marines is pretty cool.

Troopers has gotten bad reviews, but I think it is decent (once you read the instructions). Fatal Arts needs work. The first release of Jungle Warfare was a bomb, but the 1.2 release has gained some fans.

Although there is currently no bot support, I strongly recommend Jupiter Effect Influx, a giant mech mod. It is simple enough to figure out, with great weapons and imaginitive maps.

I still have a half dozen or more to check out, including the new supposedly vastly improved UnrealSpeed, and a couple of aerial combat mods.

XCTF seems to be for Quake II when I try to install it.

Rev.Whoopass
17th Jul 2003, 04:38 PM
the typicall Rev. response.

I tried 4 mods,disliked them all.

waiting for RA

adv1
17th Jul 2003, 05:35 PM
Conquest Marines is cool and could be awesome with a bit more work.

Jungle Warfare and Domain have some great maps but FaceOff has the best weapons and gameplay of all the UT2003 CounterStrike clones.

I tried but didn't like Fatal Arts, Chaos UT2, Unreal Speed and Troopers.

There's a round-up of many of the mods released here:
http://www.planetunreal.com/features/phaseone/

Sir_Brizz
17th Jul 2003, 08:08 PM
I haven't liked any of them except the weapons in Chaos... which is a surprise considering I hated ChaosUT.

hal
17th Jul 2003, 09:46 PM
... and did anything else happen recently worth noting?

You missed the deadline to upgrade to UT2004 for free...

http://www.unrealtournament2003.com/ut2004/regfree.php

Captain Kewl
17th Jul 2003, 09:54 PM
I haven't liked any of them except the weapons in Chaos... which is a surprise considering I hated ChaosUT.

You too? I somehow never really understood the appeal of CUT... maybe my playing U4E first colored my opinion, I dunno. But CUT2 is so much fun it hurts.

TWD
17th Jul 2003, 09:58 PM
I just tried chaos UT and was not impressed. The weapon ideas are cool and all but all it's really good for is a quick screw around with bots and then you move on. Trying faceoff next followed by conquest mariens...

Sir_Brizz
17th Jul 2003, 10:28 PM
I'm sad I wasted so much bandwidth downloading troopers, conquest marines, faceoff, and jungle warfare

DeRailer
17th Jul 2003, 11:18 PM
I tried most of the mods.
Fatal Arts is really slow, it's basiclly players pit against each other in a ffa arena and you can pull off combos, but it's really not much fun right now as it is.
Troopers is a disappointment, they tried to make it some kind of tactical shooter, fine. The xhair is very much like dod, but non-hitscans. Aiming mechanism is actually quite cool once you got used to it, but right now the game lacks weapon options. There's nothing much troopers have to offer. I still have JK2 installed, and wonder why the hell I should play troopers when there's a complete, more fun product @ a click on the shortcut.
Faceoff is ok, it plays like a mod. A little sof2ish without a 2nd primary. It feels like something I've played before, so really nothing special.
CUT2 is cool, cut have always been about spam and it's fun as hell with the new movement system, and on some maps with heavy liftjump potential, it's awesome. Koth is... koth, it's fun, though I never understood team of the hill. =D I can't wait for the new melee system. :tup:
Jupiter Effect: Influx have a cool general gameplay, but it's had to really test it out where there's no proper bot support and lack online players.
Jungle Warefare, I tried to download this but it's 300mb, so I download the latest version of thievery instead. :D
Domain is to-like, it have potential. The team is very dedicated, should be interesting to see how it turns out.

TWD
18th Jul 2003, 01:28 AM
I tried cutoff. the weapons are really sof2ish. The movement sucks. Nothing new to offer. This is what mods we have offered up to win the make something unreal contest? There's nothing great about any of the things I've tried. They're all the same old ideas chewed up and spewed back out at us. I want to see some of the high quality stuff you saw back with UT1 like infiltration.