[Terrain] You solve my problem and you get a cookie

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Raffi_B

Administrator
Oct 27, 2002
USA
OK guys... strap yourselves in because this one's a tough one. Its about terrain. I am working on a map that utilizes it. up until now, it worked great. then as i started placing zone portals, anti portals, and zone infos, i did a full rebuild, and then as it was under the "optimizing geometry" stage (this is just when it happened, not sure if that was the problem) the terrain just disappeared. as did the collision and everything. however, in the editor, if my camera is inside solid BSP, a portion the terrain is visible, but it is all black. In-game, sometimes portions of the terrain pop in and out of view, still having no collision. OK i think thats it. As further motivation, if u solve my problem you will get one free cookie. :) Thanks in advance and please respond with a detailed explanation.

BTW, this is a map for my map pack. so the sooner i get some help, the sooner i can release it :)

Mychaeel

Since that happened when you were zoning, I suppose you either have a leak somewhere between the terrain zone and another zone, or you have exceeded the maximum number of zones supported by the engine (63 zones) and the editor had to merge some.

In any case, I expect that your TerrainInfo actor just isn't in a zone anymore that has bTerrainZone set to True. Check with UnrealEd's Zone/Portal view.

Raffi_B

Administrator
Oct 27, 2002
USA
I have about 5 zones which are fairly straightforward. one is a skybox, two are the sniper areas, one is the central room, and one is the outdoor area. all of the zone infos have terrain zone set to true. more info: when i rebuild geometry only (as in the little cube) the terrain is there. but as soon as i go into the rebuild all options, deselect paths and lighting, and rebuild that way the terrain disappears. still during "optimizing geometry." I am sure that it isnt a zone leak because the stats under the options display the correct number of zones.

Last edited:

NozzeM

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
Maybe the terrain actor is embeded in the level geometrie? Or maybe the terrain actor is in a different zone, terrain only shows/colides in the zone where the actor is.

Raffi_B

Administrator
Oct 27, 2002
USA
hmm maybe nozzem is right... ill take a look at it. if he is, it sucks cause then the map will run poorly.