PDA

View Full Version : running a small server for friends, need awnsers to admin q's

Oreo Twist
16th Jul 2003, 09:27 PM
Ok, instead of posting several threads im goina try to condense several questions into one, if you can shed light on them I would be very thankfull.

Ive recently started hosting games for my friends (over the net because of schedules) around six-seven people at times although more may play later. For now im hosting on the machine I play on but when my new parts arrive iI will have a dedicated host. Firstly and most pressingly:

1) how can I change the gametype through the console?
I can switchlevel and admin switchlevel... I know how to logon as the admin, but ive found multiple guides on switching gametypes but they are all cryptic.. so could someone say write this "blah blah"?

2)When I have my dedicated machine, I assume I can log in as admin on my client machine and it will work the same? true/false or in-between?

3)My understanding is the dedicated server takes up far less resources than the client and as such a reasonably compenent machine can be the server and the badass machine of the moment is what one would play on? the machine that would be dedicated is amd 1900+ 2gigs ddr 2100, I assume thats beyond good enough. If im wrond and the badass should be dedicated let me know.

4)If i ever wanted to play with alternate player models, how would I as the server set that up? I understand how map and mod sharing works but I remember this was a diff story in the original game, something about editing the ini.

Ok thats all I can think of and I know its alot of ground to cover. I have tried to search for most of this info here and on the net except for the last part wich I just thought of. Thank you very much for your time and patience.

[Ci]Necro
16th Jul 2003, 10:16 PM
2) TRUE

3) If you mean, running the dedicated server on your main machine and also playing the game on your machine, its not a good idea.. you have a sweet system, but you WILL notice a slowdown... you'd be better off running it on a dedicated system (1.4ghz 512mb ram is more than enough)

Rev.Whoopass
16th Jul 2003, 10:26 PM
Ok, instead of posting several threads im goina try to condense several questions into one, if you can shed light on them I would be very thankfull.

Ive recently started hosting games for my friends (over the net because of schedules) around six-seven people at times although more may play later. For now im hosting on the machine I play on but when my new parts arrive iI will have a dedicated host. Firstly and most pressingly:

1) how can I change the gametype through the console?
I can switchlevel and admin switchlevel... I know how to logon as the admin, but ive found multiple guides on switching gametypes but they are all cryptic.. so could someone say write this "blah blah"?

--admin switchlevel mapname?game=gametype?mutator=mutator
Changes the current level to the specified level, game type and mutators

2)When I have my dedicated machine, I assume I can log in as admin on my client machine and it will work the same? true/false or in-between?

--True

3)My understanding is the dedicated server takes up far less resources than the client and as such a reasonably compenent machine can be the server and the badass machine of the moment is what one would play on? the machine that would be dedicated is amd 1900+ 2gigs ddr 2100, I assume thats beyond good enough. If im wrond and the badass should be dedicated let me know.

--Connection speed is the factor here,Upload should be 768k min

4)If i ever wanted to play with alternate player models, how would I as the server set that up? I understand how map and mod sharing works but I remember this was a diff story in the original game, something about editing the ini.

-- the files have to be on the server,and the appropriate lines added in the server ini

Ok thats all I can think of and I know its alot of ground to cover. I have tried to search for most of this info here and on the net except for the last part wich I just thought of. Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Hope it helps somewhat

Checker
16th Jul 2003, 10:43 PM
admin switchlevel mapname?game=gametype

Just to help you out, here are the examples:

admin switchlevel DM-Antalus?game=xgame.xdeathmatch
admin switchlevel CTF-Geothermal?game=xgame.xctfgame

xgame.xdoubledom
xgame.xbombingrun
xgame.xteamgame (or xteamdeathmatch, not sure)

Oreo Twist
16th Jul 2003, 11:15 PM
ok, I tried this: "admin switchlevel br-bifrost?game=bombingrun?mutator=mutator(I typed instagib but it didnt work)

So I was goina ask what are the mutator and gametype names, Checker awnsered some of that with his examples but now im a little confused. What is with the "game=xgame.xdeathmatch" line? Does this cue up the map list starting with that map or is it just another way of doing it?
Thanks
_oreo

Radiosity
17th Jul 2003, 08:52 AM
xGame is the package that the gametypes are stored in, and the second part is the class name of the gametype.

And you were right the first time Checker, it is xTeamGame :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention:

For the bonus gametypes, use the following

BonusPack.xLastManStandingGame
BonusPack.xMutantGame
SkaarjPack.Invasion

SECOND EDIT: Forgot to mention something else :lol:

Mutators are as follows, using Instagib as an example:

xGame.MutInstaGib (first part is the package name, second part is the mutator name - look in the .int file of a mutator in the system directory to find these).

DBoZ_Sir_Dave
17th Jul 2003, 03:09 PM
Hay Thare,
here's Sir_Dave,
member of clan =][DBoZ][=,

If your a noob or a skilled Admin in seting up/config a Server,
I got the thing that will take away all your problems !!

ToolName: UT2Vote
Author: ProAsm
InfoWebsite: www.clandboz.com > UT2003 > Files > Extra > UT2Vote (http://www.clandboz.com/UT2003/Files/Extras/UT2Vote/Page.html)
OfficialWebsite: ProAsm website (http://www.unrealza.co.za/proasm)

This Server User Admin Configuration Tool can do the following:
What it is:
This tool is the best one when it comes to Total Server Configuration Tools.
A User can vote for gametype, maps, mutators, weapons, playerkicking, etc.
An Admin can log in and switch settings like gametype, maps, mutators, goalscore, timelimit,
weapons, player-kick/ban, etc. But the main reason why we picked this as our
Total Server Configuration Tool is that the Admin can quickly setup a nice clanmatch
with all the settings needed.

User:
GameType: this is the type of game to play like BR-DM-DOM-CTF
Maps: here you can vote for a map from a maplist to play
Mutators: you can also vote for mutators like InstaGib, LowGravity
PlayerKicking: players can place a kick vote agains another players

Admin:
Can do all that the user is capable of and more.
GoalScore: the score that ends the game for a winning team
TimeLimit: the total time of a single round
Clanmatch: a nice option with all in one menu, for those who play ClanWars

We have 4 DBoZ server running,
all of them are running the best Server User Admin Configuration Tool.
www.clandboz.com > UT2003 > DBoZ Servers (http://www.clandboz.com/UT2003/DBoZServers/Main/Main/Page.html)

I can say "hope it helps", but I'm sure it will.
It's running on all PRO servers so... ...you make your dicission ;)

Greetings,
Proud member
=][DBoZ][=Sir_Dave
www.clandboz.com