PDA

View Full Version : Troopers: Dawn of Destiny demo released(d/l link here)

DeRailer
14th Jul 2003, 11:57 PM
http://www.downloads.jolt.co.uk/index.php?page=download.php&action=filenotes&id=1058
Get it you trek geeks.

Pillsbury Flow Boy
15th Jul 2003, 12:17 AM
I guess I could post this here, since Jolt is terribly slow... (Less then 2k/s)

http://lola.modservers.net/~eggy/troopers/TroopersDemoUmod.zip

:) don't know what th emax user count is on it, but I know I'm getting all over 5k/s from it, bieng on 56k :p

DeMachina
15th Jul 2003, 12:33 AM
There's also a .torrent (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/bittorrent/bittorrent-3.2.1.exe) up here (http://www.torrents.us/download.php?file=TroopersDemoUmod.zip.torrent).

thewalkingman
15th Jul 2003, 12:43 AM
we need more mirrors!!!!!!!! \\o//

Sparky
15th Jul 2003, 12:46 AM
Let me know what it's like, not gonna bother at the moment... considering it's 146 meg.

DeRailer
15th Jul 2003, 01:03 AM
Blah, I was at 92% when my OS crash. :/

[edit]Nice link flowboy, hit my max rate of 50kb/s. Gotta wait another hour though.

thewalkingman
15th Jul 2003, 02:14 AM
Kudos to the team for recreating every scene in G.I. Joe cartoon where everyone is shooting lasers and nobody getting shot.

DeRailer
15th Jul 2003, 02:16 AM
Kudos to the team for recreating every scene in G.I. Joe cartoon where everyone is shooting lasers and nobody getting shot.
That's how it was in the movies, maybe they're trying to be realistic :D

Assymilator
15th Jul 2003, 02:50 AM
Just finished playing it and I am going to uninstall it. It's a gigantic waste of time. Maps are boring, the HUD is way too big and intrusive, weapon models are weak, sounds are weak, and the biggest nugget of them all is that it took me 40 min. to download and 5 minutes of play time before I decided to uninstall it.

Mychaeel
15th Jul 2003, 02:54 AM
the HUD is way too big and intrusive, weapon models are weak

According to the mod's feature list you should be able to rectify that at least by customizing the HUD layout.

Assymilator
15th Jul 2003, 02:58 AM
According to the mod's feature list you should be able to rectify that at least by customizing the HUD layout.

4 different layouts and all 4 of them are too bulky and "intrusive".

thewalkingman
15th Jul 2003, 03:03 AM
Why do we as players need "trainers" to see enemies?

Mychaeel
15th Jul 2003, 03:04 AM
4 different layouts and all 4 of them are too bulky and "intrusive".

Again, I didn't try it myself (yet), so I can just reiterate what I read in the feature list---but according to that you should be able to completely customize the HUD, including enabling/disabling individual elements, changing their position and their size individually.

The four layouts you're talking about are supposedly only preconfigured presets.

DeRailer
15th Jul 2003, 04:10 AM
played it, have potential, just not any fun.

A_Rimmerlister
15th Jul 2003, 05:30 AM
At least the voices are clearer than the default UT'03-voicepacks ...
The music is a bit too modern altough that can be fixed by converting the original movie-soundtracks to .ogg.

I haven't tried anything else though. I'm definitely going to look at it and see what it's like.

Original9
15th Jul 2003, 06:01 AM
If only the lasers where two times faster and the recharge speed was a bit faster. :\

Swift Viper
15th Jul 2003, 09:31 AM
Downloading at 30k per second on cable, this could take awhile, even longer then Jungle Warfare. Good thing it comes in Umod if I don't like it. Should be back to post again later about this.

Assymilator
15th Jul 2003, 11:14 AM
The uninstaller is borked, so you'll have to uninstall through the 2k3 uninstall menu.

DeRailer
16th Jul 2003, 01:13 AM
New map by BK for those who care:
http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?PlanetUnreal/utbuilder/Maps2/Dech16t.zip
For those who don't, there's always faceoff. =D

Swift Viper
16th Jul 2003, 08:45 AM
I think I already have that map, but when I played it, I did not like the weapon layout.

As for Troopers itself, I hate the crosshair that dances around all over the place when I move. The models don't look that great, the music does not sound very Star Wars like (or maybe it does for die hard fans), and the lasers are too slow. I think the Troopers have better weapons then the other team and speaking of weapons, they all seem to work the same to me. Maybe I'll play it a couple more times before using the 2k3 uninstall menu. This is what happens when they rush something to get it out in time. It can however get better if they put some more work into it.

*Runs off back to other mods and waits for ChaosUT2 bug fix patch*

Sir_Brizz
16th Jul 2003, 09:36 PM
Sadly I am disappointed by this game. The previews and screenshots all looked like it would be a blast, but after 2 hours of downloading it and 5 minutes of playing it I wanted to shoot myself in the head. The levels were drab at best, the models, while decent, were nothing of the quality that the screenshots led you to believe, the voices were annoying, the goal in clean sweep was mysterious, the weapon stands and recharge stations were confusing at best.... All I can say is I was expecting something more similar to Jedi Knight 2 than Slomo Joe the Fruit Loopy Quadroplegic.