Did this game inspire UT?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

RedShirtSlacker

Jan 16, 2000
Lapeer, MI, USA
members.xoom.com
Check out this game:

W.A.R. by Atari Games (now Midway) http://www.midway.com/games/titles/war/index.html

It was featured in the February 99 issue of Gamepro in Hot At The Arcades also.

To me the entire style of this game looks almost erily remeniscent of our favorite game, UT.

The style of the character, the colorful, yet great looking textures, and the way the characters move.

Even some weapons remind me of the UT ones, like the chaingun in WAR looks a lot like the pulse gun in UT to me (I don't know why, it just does). And there's also turret enplacements in WAR, like UT.

WAR is DM only though. It does have a SP game consisting of 8 levels and frags get you more time (it was an arcade game, how'd you think they were gonna get your quarters? /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Hrm. Me thinks that Tim Sweeny stopped by the arcade one day and said "Damn this is cool! And hey, it's running on a V2! We can do that in Unreal... wait, let's make a new game and make em pay for it!"

I'd like to hear your opinions.

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
I wouldn't be suprised if it was based on the Unreal Engine, it kind of has the same look as other Unreal Engine based games

bullet2.gif

"Sometimes a scream is better than a thesis."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

XSenergy

Nov 26, 1999
Arlington, TX USA
Visit site
Too bad that game is like at 640x480 resolution. It looks really bad when you try to look at things far away. No offense, but I think that game is a ghetto game for people who can't afford games. I think WAR was inspired by computer FPS games, not the other way around. That game has the most unbalanced weapons and the crappiest weapons.

bullet2.gif

Signature
Note: The Signature feature is currently enabled by this bulletin board's
administrator. You may use UBB Code in this field, but not HTML. The UBB
Code Image tag is not permitted, however.

xsenergy.jpg

Dammit, they're right.

Kenny

Dec 3, 1999
Visit site
I've played this before . . .

It's not bad, actually. The controls were a bit harder to use, and turning was a bitch.

[PuF]SAL

Dec 30, 1999
Visit site
Hi,

Play Kingpin if you want a flame thrower.

Its fun to run into a crowded room with alot of people and set them all on fire. You get to see them burn as they try to run away. The people stay on fire as they run, and the health drops. If you get burned, then your screen flashes red and your health drops.

Talk to you later.

CHRYSt

You can't help that. We're all mad here.
Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
Kingpin was fun for oh...15 miutes. Single player was boring as hell after the first 3 maps or so, multiplayer was nothing but DM, and some retarded game called "Bagman." It's just not a terribly creative game ...the flamethrower is really cool tho.

bullet2.gif

"Who's up for the donkey show and some unholy butt sex?!" -- Lloyd Kaufman