PDA

View Full Version : New mod which really is disturbing...

Stillborn
13th Jul 2003, 01:09 AM
http://www.kinematic.org/911about.html

"9-11 Survivor is a game mod based on the Unreal Game engine. The retail version of Unreal Tournament 2003 will be required to play this mod."

It's about the terrorist attack on the WTC buildings on 9/11. Check the screenshots section here http://www.kinematic.org/911screenshots.html

The picture of the guy jumping out the window is really sickening :(

Dead_Hood
13th Jul 2003, 01:28 AM
I really think they could have done a similar mod without the 9/11 survivor stuff. I mean, I understand what they are trying to do, and I'm guessing they're not trying to be disrespectful, but there are some things in life that you just don't touch and I think this is one of them. I expect that they'll take some heat about it and change the mod to something a little more appropriate.

LittleFlower
13th Jul 2003, 06:14 AM
Who cares ? It's a computer game. Did you guys ever bother looking at other games in stores ? There's a zillion games on WWII. Millions of people died in that game, many survivors are still alive, lots of kids of the people who died are still alive. And still nobody talks about banning all WWII games.

OMFG, there's a game called "DeerHunter", and it was one of the best selling games .... Poor bambis, somebody should ban that game.

Did you ever look at UT2003 ? People being shot into gibs, heads bursting out in flames, lots of ugly stuff. And there are lots of people out there that are really opposed to FPSs. Do we care ? No. We should be allowed to play the games we want to play. It is only a game. If you don't like it, don't buy it, don't play it.

PS. What I wrote is only about the right for people to create, buy or play anything they like. It doesn't mean I like the game, will download it, play it, or even look at it. That's irrelevant. Freedom of speech is about allowing others to say and write things you totally disagree with.

Mychaeel
13th Jul 2003, 08:02 AM
Who ever talked about banning this game in this thread before you did, LittleFlower?

Renegade Retard
13th Jul 2003, 08:09 AM
LF, there's a difference between war and a terrorist attack on civilians.

I do see your point, but there's still quite a difference. Where do we draw the line? I dunno, but wars and tragic acts are are opposite sides of that line.

LittleFlower
13th Jul 2003, 12:24 PM
Where do we draw the line?

That is simple. Anybody is allowed to say anything. There are little details like slander, but basically you could say there is no line.

The US has understood this better than my own country. In my country e.g. Hitler's book "Mein Kampf" is forbidden. You are not allowed to sell it, and I think you are not even allowed to have it in your posession. Pretty sad. I'm not talking about the content of that book, that is irrelevant. Books should just be allowed to be published an sold. Any book. That simple detail is for me enough the conclude that in my country, there is no freedom of speech. The US has a lot of hypocrocy, but they really understand the concept of freedom of speech.

So why should people keep themselves from saying the most ricidulous things ? Or releasing tasteless mods ? Simple as well, if someone says something foolish, they make a fool out of themselves. People will judge themselves what other are saying, and will judge those people based on what they are saying.

The 911 mod is indeed bad taste. But it is up to every individual to decide how to handle this for themselves. You are allowed to have your own opinion on the mod and its makers. All I wanted to say is: there is a lot of other stuff with bad taste out there.

DaBeatard
13th Jul 2003, 12:31 PM
Well said LittleFlower. I agree with you 100%

btw I probably won't try this mod. Not because of the subject matter, but because it just doesn't look that interesting. Even if 9/11 events weren't linked to this, I still wouldn't try it.

Doc_EDo
13th Jul 2003, 01:05 PM
It would be bad taste (but fun) if you could actually fly an airplane into a building and bring it down with a lot of noise. This surviving crap wont be as close as fun.
If you americans/others cared about morals there wouldn't be any games released on Vietnam, Iraq or any other place where your gov actions were at least "questionable", nor games that portrait all arabs as terrorists, so please spare me the "taste" crap. :o

NeoNite
13th Jul 2003, 01:27 PM
[QUOTE=LittleFlower]Who cares ? It's a computer game. Did you guys ever bother looking at other games in stores ? There's a zillion games on WWII. Millions of people died in that game, many survivors are still alive, lots of kids of the people who died are still alive. And still nobody talks about banning all WWII games.
[quote]

WWII was a game? I'm a bit confused here 0_0
Or were you simply talking about the virtual world and that's it?

Or just a silly typo?

Renegade Retard
13th Jul 2003, 01:53 PM
The 911 mod is indeed bad taste. But it is up to every individual to decide how to handle this for themselves. You are allowed to have your own opinion on the mod and its makers. All I wanted to say is: there is a lot of other stuff with bad taste out there.

So we agree. :)

shadow_dragon
13th Jul 2003, 02:22 PM
Ummmm! People do complain abotu violent games, they do complain about WW games, they WILL complain about THIS mod! And i don't blame them, there is NO good reason for the mod, it doesn't look particularly well done in any case and it's only apparent purpose is to BE disrespectfull, which is rather the point i believe! To go out of your way to do nothing but be disrespectfull is wrong, clearly!

@Doc-EDo - Do you berlieve it wise to stereotype all Americans/others as demoralised or murderers?

I saw this site though a few months ago, i figured they'd of had the good sense to give up and spend their time one something worth the effort! IMagine all that coding, mapping and skinning going into something so pointless!

Pillsbury Flow Boy
13th Jul 2003, 06:39 PM
I think the only reason anybody made this mod was to bring up stuff like this... :)

My only problem, I looked at one of the pictures of showing the building from the outside, and all I could think was, "Will my computer run that o_O"

TyeFang
13th Jul 2003, 09:51 PM
You know, if you read about it...it seems to be a way for peeps to experience what it may have been like to try and survive the terrorist attack..not an exploitation or sick fantasy of watching people fall/jump out of the building.

It would be interesting if it was developed by a survivor...to perhaps get a better understanding of what the many survivors went through to live..and what others went through that eventually died.

I can see how this might have been developed with the best intentions in mind.

- Tye

shadow_dragon
14th Jul 2003, 08:47 AM
Then we can make a game about how people react when they found out some b@st@rd made a game of their family and friends dieing!

It would be just as relevant and usefull to the world!

Vers Vlees
14th Jul 2003, 10:01 AM
[QUOTE=shadow_dragon
@Doc-EDo - Do you berlieve it wise to stereotype all Americans/others as demoralised or murderers?
[/QUOTE]
Doesnt all those militairy games portait the all arabs like murderers :rolleyes:

I agree with LF on this one. Its bad taste maybe but hey there are another games with a sensetive subjects (woII,Vietnam etc)
I dont here anything negative about that right

DeDpoet|BuF
14th Jul 2003, 11:32 AM
I personally am not going to play it.

in the words of Legolas "...For me the grief is still too near."

'nuff said.

Sir_Brizz
14th Jul 2003, 06:11 PM
heh torn between two sides. I think the problem here is that this is a recent event that most of us witnessed practically first hand. You didn't see WW2 games released within 5 or 10 years of the war. You didn't see Vietnam games released within that same period of time. I personally wasn't alive during World War 2, so playing a game about it hardly has the effect that my grandfather playing it would. I wasn't alive during vietnam eityher so playing a game about Vietnam could hardly have the effect that it would for a vietnam veteran.

The US does believe in free speech, you are free toi say whatever you want...but that doesn't give you complete freedom. Like anything there are consequences for what you do...if you go around telling everyone you are going to kill someone and telling them your plans to do it, I severely doubt you would retain your freedoms.