Maximum Disk Size?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

PhrozeN

And Apple a day keeps the doctor away
Sep 16, 2001
Winnipeg MB
www.redfire-mg.com
Howdee im just formatting my new 120 GB drive, buuuuut when I went format it said Formatting 48,179 MB :S is that the maximum size you are allowed to use for a single partition running FAT32? Aaaand for a side note should I convert my drive to run on NTFS assuming ill never install anything below the windoze professional series of operating systems, or any linux based OS? Yes / No? Good bad? Achtinibble?

Dead_Hood

The Seventh Sign
Apr 24, 2001
123 Fake Street
It is possible that your mobo has a HD size limit. I think the limit on Windows XP's drive size is 4 Terrabytes, so it's not the OS.

There are a couple of things to consider when choosing a format for your HD: the first is compatibility. If you want to run any 16-bit programs (which is a feat for XP to accomplish in most cases) you'll want to run FAT32. However, if you are only running 32 or 64 bit applications, want added stability, or need added security or encryption you should try NTFS.
The other consideration is speed. For drives that are 20 Gb or smaller, FAT32 will generally be faster. For drives that are larger than 20 Gb, NTFS will generally be faster.

I have two HD's in my computer and both of them are running NTFS. I haven't seen NTFS screw up as much as FAT32, especially when the HD is almost full; FAT32 has a nasty problem where it will cause 100% fragmention for almost no reason. My reccomendation: go with NTFS.

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
As Dead_Hood suggest, use NTFS.

Check your mobo's manual if there says anything about maximum size of HD's.
Go to the manufactures homepage and check for an BIOS's upgrade. Sometimes that's all you need.

But, you aren't going to have a big 120 Gb partition, are you? If you are installing the operatingsystem on this drive, I suggest you make 2 partitions. One smaller for the Windows and programs, and a bigger for all your other files.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
There used to be a problem with HDD size, you used to be able to have hard drives no bigger than 8 GB, but I don't know if that was a FAT32 thing so much as a Windows 98 thing.

Just to be safe, either limit your system partition to 8GB or use NTFS (which is superior anyway).

PhrozeN

And Apple a day keeps the doctor away
Sep 16, 2001
Winnipeg MB
www.redfire-mg.com
exellent ntfs it is :D

My Final System is:
ASUS P4C800 Mobo
P4 2.4 Ghz 800 Mhz FSB
1024 MB of 333 Mhz DDR RAM
GeForce 4 MX 440 :p
SB Live 5.1 MP3