Final Thread on Rocket Launcher hate

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Swift Viper

Long live Xmas Xan Mark III(By Hyrulian)
Is it just me or is the Rocket Launcher way too powerful and overused? In UT, you could fire six rockets and one could kill a unarmored person, but six was just way overkill. When I played gamemodes like Rocket Arena or Last Man Standing, the rocket launcher was the main weapon used. I know in UT2k3 it is not as powerful, but it still feels like the ownage weapon and three rockets is still a bit powerful for a normal weapon. What is the point in using other weapons once you have the Rocket Launcher unless your trying to hit someone at long range? I'm glad you can't hold the fully loaded rockets either or people would just hide, load up, fire when they see someone, repeat. I know it is a Rocket Launcher, but it is still a normal weapon, no reason to be more powerful then the others. Feels unfair to me getting killed by someone with the Rocket Launcher when I have a "weaker" weapon. Is multiplayer surpose to be about weapon balance and not about power progess in single player games? Maybe if the Rocket Launcher fired only one rocket and was given the grenades again (fire one again) would finally make it balanced IMO. I'm pickly about poor weapon balance, because I hate the feeling that, "I can own with this weapon, I can do fine with this one, this weapon can do no good for me, I can also own with this weapon". I want to be able to feel that "I can own with this weapon, that one too, and this weapon also, it's all good".

BTW, all of the above was my opinion.

CrazyCougar

CATatonic
Jan 5, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
There's lots of weapon hate threads these days... however each weapon can be annoying when used effectively. Sure getting nailed by 3 rockets as you round a corner is annoying... however they make this noise... you can hear them and wait for them to be spammed into an empty hall instead of running into them. ;)

The funny thing is most people who load up three rockets will then load up three more. Which gives you plenty of time to go after them.

What makes the rockets deadly is the prediction factor. If your opponent can hit you midair with rockets or send them at where your going to land when your jumping around your going to get frustrated. You have to be unpredictable. Fake them out so that they throw the rocket in the wrong direction. Move in closer to see if they'll be silly enough to suicide with it. Get behind them or keep them spinning so that they have a hard time tracking you.

What I've found with all of the weapons is that you have to know how to use them effectively. Once you can use them well you get a feel for what to do when you face an opponent. So you won't get surprised by 3 rockets as much. You will be harder to hit. You will try and prevent them from using the weapon or to switch to another weapon. However you really need to learn each weapon's abilities.

If you get frustrated by a weapon try and use only that weapon for a bit until it becomes comfortable. I tend to do that a lot. I'll pick a weapon that I'm not as strong with and fool around with it. Just trying to make it easier to use when I really need it.