Saw Sticky feet

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

jayhova

Don't hate me because I'm pretty
Feb 19, 2002
Houston Texas
www.flex.net
I was thinking this morning about how to make a SAW that works the way it should. The idea of sticky feet on the bipod came to mind. INF already has weapon collision, my idea would be to use weapon collision to convert the SAW to a fixed gun on the fly.

Here's how it would work. When you are holding the SAW in the aimed mode the bipod feet would become sticky. If the collided with a flat surface the feet would stick there and the weapon would then become like the permenent gun emplacements now. The exception would be that your POV would stay locked to the iron sites (I really think that the permenent guns should really lock your POV to the sites as well). If you moved, the weapon would become unstuck and move with you.

Aug 12, 2000
Switzerland
Interesting idea, but I feel that a "place bipod" keystroke would be more practical: Assume position, place bypod, fire. That's more realistic IMO, because a bipod is only 'sticky' IRL when you want it to be. With the method you are suggesting, the game would make that call for you.

jayhova

Feb 19, 2002
Houston Texas
www.flex.net
Bear in mind that none of this would happen without the bipod deployed. If you deploy the Bipod with the attachment key the sticky feet system works. It also only works if a collision is detected and if you are not moving. There really is no need for a new key. If you don't like where the bipod is located then move.

Destructo6

Jan 11, 2002
Visit site
That does sound pretty good. That way you could still use the bipod while crouched behind a wall or something and not restricted to prone use.

Can it be done fairly easily?

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
I tried to do this over a year ago with other weapons. It's much harder than it sounds, as you need to consider pivot angles, geometry, and how it looks from third person.
The 'weapon collision' that exists right now is certainly not sufficient for such a thing.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
The idea is good. I personally always wished beeing able to do that with every gun. But as Yurch explained it is not easy.

Sometimes it works in INF, if you let the gun collide with the bottom of a window frame, but the needed thing would be, that the gun is kinda fixed where it lays on the windowframe and act like the M2 MG's with the rotating point at the barrel.

The same must be done with the bipods if prone, that you have the SAW in front of you and the rotating point of the gun itself is at the bipods.

Dr.J

Staying Alive.
Nov 25, 2001
Hong Kong
www.alkdjflakdjfksj.com
... if youre within your freeaim zone. i cant imagine someone doing 360s on the bipod when its deployed. as said in the sneak peek thread, outside the freeaim zone i think should be a slow shifting on the players pivot point, but i would imagine that this would probably be retardedly hard to implement.

jayhova

Feb 19, 2002
Houston Texas
www.flex.net
Dr.J said:
... if youre within your freeaim zone. i cant imagine someone doing 360s on the bipod when its deployed. as said in the sneak peek thread, outside the freeaim zone i think should be a slow shifting on the players pivot point, but i would imagine that this would probably be retardedly hard to implement.

I would think that with the bipod deployed you would be limited to only the freeaim zone or a little more. Aiming would be done in the way leaning is done now. IRL you would have to lean right and left to keep you shoulders behind the weapon. So there you are. You could only aim as far as you could lean in the opposite direction. Otherwise you would have to pick up the weapon and move it. Maybe it would be posible to do something with the attachment key where if you hit it while the weapon was implaced it would unstick. Hitting it again would retract the bipod. I would also suggest a small delay to prevent the bipod from sticking where you don't want it.

Dr.J

Staying Alive.
Nov 25, 2001
Hong Kong
www.alkdjflakdjfksj.com
i think this 'rooted to the ground' while having your machine guns deployed is a load of ****. of course, if theres no other way then fine. but i would imagine that if you decide to shuffle a little there should be no reason for you to retract and redeploy the bipods just for that. very slow shuffling while pressing the movement keys and outside the freeaim zone slow rotational shifting of the weapon would be what id imagine to be done... of course if im wildly under the wrong impression then please tell me.

Last edited:

jayhova

Feb 19, 2002
Houston Texas
www.flex.net
I think you have the wrong idea. All you would ever have to do to move your and the minimi's position would be to tap the attachment key. This would be fundementally no different than using the .50 cal emplacments on the maps except on the .50s you tap the "use" key. The idea again if I wasn't clear before is that if you are holding the weapon and tap the attachment key you retract or extend the bipod. If you are using the weapon in an emplacement mode tapping the key unsticks the bipod. you can then reposition the weapon wait a moment and it will restick.