Final Thread on Ion Cannon Hate

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Man, I don't know about anyone else, but the ion cannon has GOT to be the worse weapon in all of UT2K3. I mean, you can't kill a THING with it. It shoots out this steady beam, so I think "hey, another hit scan," but noooooooo. It must not be made for that, 'cause I can't hit a dang thing. So I try it up close, you know, like the flak, but nothing! I tried tapping on the prim fire repeatedly to try to make it work like the mini, but all I get is cramps in my fingers.

I think the ion cannon has got to be the worst weapon by far in UT2K3. How does everyone else feel?

Oh yeah.....;)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I agree in part though even though it's a joke. The Ion Cannon has got to be one of the most useless superweapons I have ever seen in a game.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I liked it at first because I thought that it was finally a little tougher to get a kill with a superweapon. Then I realized that it was just next to impossible. You have to set up some extraordinary circumstances to make it effective. Like in Magma, using it to support the fc by starting the beam as he exits the base, timing it so that it hits any immediate pursuers.

Speaking of Magma, isn't three superweapons a bit much for one map?

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Camel said:
TWDs sarcasm radar must be malfunctioning. :p

LOL

Maybe I should have gone with my first instincts - give it more of a Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure tone, and used the [Keanu Reeves}.....{/Keanu Reeves] thing.

Swift Viper

Long live Xmas Xan Mark III(By Hyrulian)
Hey, maybe it's a "balanced" super weapon :D j/k . I remember starting a while back about the Ion Cannon being a "balanced" super weapon. A lot of people hate the redeemer because it is so easy to use, but now the Ion Cannon is too hard to use. Maybe this super weapon could be the "skillful" super weapon of the future. I know it is not suppose to be balanced with the normal weapons as it is a super weapon, but it kind of feels that way because of how hard it is to use and someone could take your head off with the lightning gun while your standing still. Seems like a lot of newbies don't know how to use the weapon, while with the Redeemer you just fire and forget.

Funny, three Final Thread on Weapon Hate has all been started by different people.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
In case anyone else missed the sarcasm, this thread was started to mock the other "Final Thread" threads, hoping that others will get the hint to knock it off! :)

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
It would have been better if they'd gone with the concept I thought they were originally going to do, where you hold the beam on a specific opponent for three seconds and the satellite auto locks onto them, rather than onto a point on the ground that everyone just scampers away from.

Raffi_B

Administrator
Oct 27, 2002
USA
my ideas for a new ion cannon:
1. make the painter um... paint quicker and have longer range.
2. bring the old effect back (see vids... that effect was bad ass)
3. make the ion blast have a larger blast radius
4. make the ion satellite be able to move slightly in order to be able to fire on hard to reach areas (mainly x and y axes, not z otherwise it would suck)
this stuff would make the painter much more effective, without modifying the original concept. it still wouldnt beat the deemer though :)