PDA

View Full Version : Final Thread on Ion Cannon Hate

Renegade Retard
9th Jul 2003, 10:12 PM
Man, I don't know about anyone else, but the ion cannon has GOT to be the worse weapon in all of UT2K3. I mean, you can't kill a THING with it. It shoots out this steady beam, so I think "hey, another hit scan," but noooooooo. It must not be made for that, 'cause I can't hit a dang thing. So I try it up close, you know, like the flak, but nothing! I tried tapping on the prim fire repeatedly to try to make it work like the mini, but all I get is cramps in my fingers.

I think the ion cannon has got to be the worst weapon by far in UT2K3. How does everyone else feel?

Oh yeah.....;)

TWD
9th Jul 2003, 10:32 PM
You have to stand still for it to work and it has some limitations on range. I think the biggest reason it's useless though is that most servers turn it off.

Camel
9th Jul 2003, 10:36 PM
TWDs sarcasm radar must be malfunctioning. :p

Sir_Brizz
9th Jul 2003, 10:39 PM
I agree in part though even though it's a joke. The Ion Cannon has got to be one of the most useless superweapons I have ever seen in a game.

hal
9th Jul 2003, 11:16 PM
I liked it at first because I thought that it was finally a little tougher to get a kill with a superweapon. Then I realized that it was just next to impossible. You have to set up some extraordinary circumstances to make it effective. Like in Magma, using it to support the fc by starting the beam as he exits the base, timing it so that it hits any immediate pursuers.

Speaking of Magma, isn't three superweapons a bit much for one map?

Renegade Retard
9th Jul 2003, 11:18 PM
TWDs sarcasm radar must be malfunctioning. :p

LOL

Maybe I should have gone with my first instincts - give it more of a Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure tone, and used the [Keanu Reeves}.....{/Keanu Reeves] thing.

Swift Viper
10th Jul 2003, 11:18 AM
Hey, maybe it's a "balanced" super weapon :D j/k . I remember starting a while back about the Ion Cannon being a "balanced" super weapon. A lot of people hate the redeemer because it is so easy to use, but now the Ion Cannon is too hard to use. Maybe this super weapon could be the "skillful" super weapon of the future. I know it is not suppose to be balanced with the normal weapons as it is a super weapon, but it kind of feels that way because of how hard it is to use and someone could take your head off with the lightning gun while your standing still. Seems like a lot of newbies don't know how to use the weapon, while with the Redeemer you just fire and forget.

Funny, three Final Thread on Weapon Hate has all been started by different people.

Radiosity
10th Jul 2003, 11:20 AM
That's because everyone has different likes and dislikes :) It's been said before, you'll never please everyone. I can't stand the goo gun, but I know other people love it.

Renegade Retard
10th Jul 2003, 04:35 PM
In case anyone else missed the sarcasm, this thread was started to mock the other "Final Thread" threads, hoping that others will get the hint to knock it off! :)

DaBeatard
10th Jul 2003, 04:58 PM
Sarcasm or not, you do have a point. The ion cannon kind of blows.

WebSlinger
10th Jul 2003, 06:43 PM
where's my other slipper?

Metakill
11th Jul 2003, 01:41 AM
It would have been better if they'd gone with the concept I thought they were originally going to do, where you hold the beam on a specific opponent for three seconds and the satellite auto locks onto them, rather than onto a point on the ground that everyone just scampers away from.

Raffi_B
12th Jul 2003, 03:00 AM
my ideas for a new ion cannon:
1. make the painter um... paint quicker and have longer range.
2. bring the old effect back (see vids... that effect was bad ass)
3. make the ion blast have a larger blast radius
4. make the ion satellite be able to move slightly in order to be able to fire on hard to reach areas (mainly x and y axes, not z otherwise it would suck)
this stuff would make the painter much more effective, without modifying the original concept. it still wouldnt beat the deemer though :)