PA newspost on teenage morons

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MJACK

Mar 14, 2000
Lexington, MA, USA
Visit site
From Penny-Arcade newspost:

By now everyone has heard about the young men who had a big plot to do bad stuff with a bunch of guns and swords. If it was just guns, you might think I was talking about something else. Maybe those one guys, or the dudes... You know, those other dudes. Those swords just give it away though, don't they! So they were absolutely covered with loaded weapons, these three young men with swords, and it was their aim to jack a car and maybe drive it around for a while until they killed some people at their school. They were, no doubt, surprised to find the procedure somewhat more complex than pressing a single button. And of course, the driver was having none of it - when he realized what these SCA mother****ers were actually trying to do, he drove away. Then, the credits rolled on their grim endeavor. Some cops came back, and there was a tense moment before their Blood Pack or whatever they were calling themselves was hurled bodily into the dungeon, or "prison."

You already know what the media is saying about it, so I don't need to go into that. They're drawing parallels between their activity and Grand Theft Auto. I am making this note because my position of unwavering criticism of media coverage has been amended to include something else: that there are young men stupid enough to emulate these games. I have a very low opinion of high school, and the sorts of clean, effortlessly beautiful human beings one encounters there. I know that it is a source of torment. And I know that your **** is all tortured, because I've read your poems and seen that rendered skull spinning there on your page with the fire on it. I feel it. I was a black coat and some eyeliner away from emulating your existence. But the second you load a ****ing weapon, I can't empathize with you anymore. I can't protect you. And I can't defend you.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast/07/07/teens.arrested/index.html for the news story he's referring to.

fist_mlrs

that other guy
Jan 4, 2001
Zittau, Germany
www.fistmlrs.com
im just happy such perfect examples of stupidness usually fail on whatever they start. say yay to natural selection.

seriously, the only people more stupid then these kids are their parents for not trying postnatal abortion and the hobby psychologist who can trace down every evil in humanity to a single source which everybody can easily blame because nobody but a few do actually have to change anything in their life. oh yeah, life is so easy, if you got a problem just blame something the majority doesn't care about. oh noes, i lost my job because of these evil butterflys. killlllllllllllllll!!!!!!11!!1

sorry :con:

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
yo i love how the media is trying to blame this on gaming. Why not back to their favorite scapegoat TV? ;p It's not like shows like "the sopranos" haven't showed car jackings.. oh well. a bunch of idiot kids, well aint that some shiz.

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
Yes heaven forbid we ask ourselves why people were willing to end their lives and others by going amok, lets just belittle them some more and repeat the entire process next time :rolleyes:

ThunderChunky

L337 Cube H@X0®
Jul 1, 2000
How about claiming that the world would be better off if the doctor had aborted them, and that the entire world would emit a sigh of collective relief if they were dead? It always seems to work wonders for the "community."

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
Perhaps they were fed up with taking people's shit and decided they'd give those people some shit back.

Does it not occur to anyone that these people aren't looking for attention, but this was the consequence of getting attention that they didn't want in the first place? When people put you down day in and day out for a few years, it starts to get on your nerves, and it turns some people violent, or it brings out latent violent tendencies in others.

The reason shit like this keeps happening is because people keep laughing at it and dismissing it as angsty teens who didn't get enough attention from Mummy and Daddy when they were young.

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
I suppose if you look at larger picture, this is still a far far cry from some of the issues of the past. At least neighborhoods aren't being burned to ground due to racial rioting, or churches being bombed by KKK ect ect. If the worst that this pacified society can produce is a bunch of social outcasts looking for revenge because they don't belong.. then i think we've managed to get back to square one again. Same thing that goes on in primative tribal societies. beh, a new flavor of outcast. Level of caring: 0.0