PDA

View Full Version : "Headshot" on a Crouched opponent?

Hanover_Fist
9th Jul 2003, 11:36 AM
Alright, I've had enough of this. Over @ INA they're saying you CAN "headshot" a crouched opponent.

TWD and I tried it last night and couldn't get more than 70 damage right between the eyes, we tried shooting in the throat, slightly above the head, way above the head........nada, boo, nix.

BUT you can get a headshot if you shoot slightly ABOVE the head of a Standing opponent...

I want to know.

And if you have to shoot in some crazy spot, like 'right above the left eye of the characters with sunglasses' then please post a screeny of what you're talkin about.

:)

spineblaZe
9th Jul 2003, 03:01 PM
Me and my roommate have tried it on a LAN game from 8 million different angles, even from directly above. Not once were we able to get a headshot on eachother when we were crouching. Even if the game code says it is possible, I disagree. I guess that would be the only way to find out.

Renegade Retard
9th Jul 2003, 03:29 PM
Moral of the story - play against Rev, crouch!

Radiosity
9th Jul 2003, 03:48 PM
lol, wait till next FragBu, everyone will be going at a snail's pace because they're crouching everywhere to avoid getting headshot'd by Rev :lol:

Rev.Whoopass
9th Jul 2003, 04:12 PM
Moral of the story - play against Rev, crouch!

I'll just shoot ya twice ;)

Renegade Retard
9th Jul 2003, 04:15 PM
LOL, you could probably shoot me twice before I realize I've been hit by the first!

Man, I can't believe how much I've missed playing FragBU these past two weeks! Even if I am LG fodder, it sure is a lot of fun respawning!

WebSlinger
9th Jul 2003, 04:40 PM
I thought the topic was "Headshot" on an opponent's crotch"

man, I gotta go lie down...

edhe
9th Jul 2003, 05:05 PM
It was possible certainly in earlier patches, maybe they removed the functionality from the game to make it less LtG friendly and more like the previous UT. I admit that i've not done it in ages...

Sekhmet
10th Jul 2003, 04:28 AM
When I was playing with Loki this week, she did a headshot on me while I was crouching.. don't know how she did it though :).

BigFolks
10th Jul 2003, 04:42 AM
maybe you were half dead
what's it like being shot in the face with lightening man. what would hurt more? bullets or lightening?

Renegade Retard
10th Jul 2003, 09:10 AM
/me tosses monkey wrench into the thread.....

Last night I was fooling around in an instant action bot match (I've got to do something to make me feel better after playing online against DaBeatard ;) ). I got a headshot on a crouching bot. And yes, it was a headshot, since the announcer said "Headshot." It was the last kill to end the game (DM), so I tried to get a screenshot of it, but the bot was too far away to see for sure.

Before I sniped him, I was watching him through the scope. That's how I know he was crouching when I plugged him. I guess it's possible that he started to stand the instant before I hit him, but I don't think so.

Hanover_Fist
10th Jul 2003, 10:29 AM
Han, do you have a link to the INA thread where they're spouting about this? Man I could swear this is possible...

http://www.ina-community.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=305925

TWD and I tried it again last night, at all different angles and different spots on the character and I never got anything more than 70 damage.

Sekhmet
10th Jul 2003, 04:52 PM
maybe you were half dead.

No.. she got a headshot :). You can tell because your head pops off or the skull starts burning...

I would have survived a normal lightning shot anyway, she didn't have the damage amp.. and I had more than 70 health.

what would hurt more? bullets or lightening?

:con:...

Don't know why people wonder... but I doubt you would notice if it were possible to shoot with lightning... :con:

Sir_Brizz
10th Jul 2003, 10:31 PM
The best way to tell if it is a headshot is by the death message. For headshots it says blabla's head was made crispy by whoever. For other ones it is something like bla bla was killed by the whoever's lightning.

It's possible to get a headshot on a character that is moving into or out of the crouching position, but I don't know if you can get one on a crouched person.

Tresset
30th Jan 2006, 07:04 PM
I get crouch headshots all the time. Like in Citadel. I think I have a good idea of how it works:
1. It seems to depend on the model the target is using (The head may appear to be in slightly different places for different models when they crouch.).
2. I find that aiming at the chin helps.
3. In some models you may want to aim a little closer to the head than others.
4. Don't try once or twice and say "Tresset is an idiot." It takes practice, just like standing headshots did when you first played the game.
5. The opposing bot sniper in Citadel, or any sniper map, makes a good practice target. Also try minimum game speed.
6. Most of my headshots (Well, it actually depends on the traffic in my veiw.) are against bot snipers (who are almost always crouching).
7. Juggernaughts are very hard to get a headshot off of, even when standing.
8. I can't believe that I dragged this on for so long.

I'll see what I can do about that screenshot.

Autopsy
30th Jan 2006, 07:19 PM
maybe you were half dead
what's it like being shot in the face with lightening man. what would hurt more? bullets or lightening?

Has anyone double checked to see if it's possible with the Classic Sniper Rifle? I know most Ut players hate it, but I'm pretty sure I've pulled off some headshots on crouched opponants.

Might also be a trick where just as my victim notices I'm homing in on them they go to get up to start the dodge dance... but I'm already nailing them just as they let go of the crouch key.... I dunno.. maybe... it might be a timing thing..? :con:

JohnDoe641
30th Jan 2006, 07:27 PM
Yeah bumps!

ShakeZula
30th Jan 2006, 07:27 PM
9. I can't believe that I dragged this on for so long.
Three years is stretching it a bit.

Tresset
30th Jan 2006, 08:04 PM
Okay, back with a few screenshots. Umm, how do I post them from my computer (mac)?

Classic sniper rifle eh? Okay, I'll do that too.

Has anyone ever played at 10%?

Now I must change my list thing.

nuttella
30th Jan 2006, 08:10 PM
In UT2004 it is possible to get a headshot on a crouched opponent. You need to aim slightly below the head, as shooting straight at the head will result in a complete miss. However, this thread started before UT2004 was released. (Doh!)

Tresset
30th Jan 2006, 08:14 PM
Quite possible with the rifle. Same rules apply. Once again I took screenshots, but I don't know how to post them.

Tresset
30th Jan 2006, 08:18 PM
Oh yes. I must note that aiming at the chin worked when at the same altitude. I can't say much for different angles, but I hope it is the same.

Tresset
30th Jan 2006, 08:24 PM
I would have survived a normal lightning shot anyway, she didn't have the damage amp.. and I had more than 70 health.

To continue on the line of disbelief:
Maybe you were hit by the secondary lightning bolts. They also do damage.

T2A`
30th Jan 2006, 08:54 PM
I'm pretty sure shooting crouched opponents was patched in for UT2003. Or maybe that was the original UT. Oh well.

Nice bump. Truly necessary.

Dark Pulse
30th Jan 2006, 08:57 PM
3 year old topic + things fixed in 2k4 = Death of Thread.

http://darkpulse.project2612.org/owned/diethreaddie.jpg