Where's the API?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

baylor

Jun 28, 2003
Minnesota
ihatebaylor.com
i feel dumb for asking this, but where is the API for Unrealscript? Specifically, i'm using UT2003 if that matters

i found the 47 page doc "UnrealScript Language Reference" but that just told me that UnrealScript is basically Java. It shows me for loops and operator overloading (OK, maybe C++) but not a list of the methods and objects i can call

i also found a How To Make A Mod guide which was useful in telling me to use notepad, declare the startup code and create an INT file but still no list of what the various objects are

The official Unreal technical site has a lot of grayed out links on the right that might have told me the class structure but most of those links don't work

Someone suggested using UnrealEd to dump all the existing scripts but my version of UnrealEd (3? comes with UT2003) doesn't seem to have that option

i'm new to US and don't know what i can and can't modify. Maybe i'm just looking in the wrong place. Can anyone point me to a list of classes and their methods?

Thanks

-baylor, super newbie

Mychaeel

Unreal Wiki: UnrealScript Source has the official UnrealScript sources of the classes that come with the game. They're very sparsely commented, but they're all you need to learn coding for UT2003.

The Unreal Wiki itself is a community-driven, open project that strives to document the classes (one step at a time). If you're stuck somewhere, look there.

...and if you didn't find the information you were looking for on the Wiki and end up figuring it out yourself, come back to the Wiki later and add what you found out so that the next person with the same problem won't have to reinvent the wheel. :)

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
baylor said:
Someone suggested using UnrealEd to dump all the existing scripts but my version of UnrealEd (3? comes with UT2003) doesn't seem to have that option

Go to the actor browser -> File Menu -> Export All Scripts. And if it doesn't have that option, I'd say you've got a serious problem somewhere.

baylor

Jun 28, 2003
Minnesota
ihatebaylor.com
Mychaeel said:
Unreal Wiki: UnrealScript Source has the official UnrealScript sources of the classes that come with the game. They're very sparsely commented, but they're all you need to learn coding for UT2003.

Mychaeel is now my official hero :clap:

And after going to that link i even found a list of all the classes on one page - http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Category_Class_(UT2003)

i don't suppose there's a one page heirarchy showing how these lay out? If not, maybe i'll build one and figure out how to post it to the Wiki site

Also, is there a newbie guide any one knows of to tell me which classes are most worth looking at? For a normal mod (i'm going to try learning this by building a fantasy/magic mod; my emphasis is on AI and bots), i'm assuming the big ones are Pawn, Weapon, WeaponFire, GameRules and maybe GameObjective (not sure if i'd ever write code for that one). For graphics, maybe also HUD. For AI, maybe TeamAI SquadAI. Not sure if Player is an important class

Maybe if no one has done it i'll write a goal-oriented list of the classes. Something like "If you want to build a new weapon, look at classes X, Y and Z. If you want to change the scoring rules of a game, look at classes A, B and C". Something like that to help (some) people quickly find what they want

Thanks again for the pointers!

-baylor

Mychaeel

baylor said:
i don't suppose there's a one page heirarchy showing how these lay out? If not, maybe i'll build one and figure out how to post it to the Wiki site

Here you go: Unreal Wiki: UT2003 Class Tree Listing (or Unreal Wiki: Class Tree for an overview).

...though I find it more convenient to use a tool like UnCodeX for class tree browsing.

Also, is there a newbie guide any one knows of to tell me which classes are most worth looking at?
Maybe if no one has done it i'll write a goal-oriented list of the classes. Something like "If you want to build a new weapon, look at classes X, Y and Z. If you want to change the scoring rules of a game, look at classes A, B and C".

I don't think there's something like that on the Wiki yet; it'd surely be a valuable addition. :)