PDA

View Full Version : Map Review Sites by Players, not Mappers/Coders?

WebSlinger
7th Jul 2003, 10:53 AM
Are there any map review sites that are reviewed by good players that know very little if anything about the technological aspects of mapping and/or UnrealED?

I'm not a mapper... I don't care if they use Static Meshes, or BSP, or cubes, or movers, or shaders, I don't even know what any of that stuff is... so any map review with reliance on those things is not going to hold much water with me.

I want to read reviews by people who like to play this game, and play it well.

Shuriken
7th Jul 2003, 11:36 AM
Although it takes a while to get used to the format of this site, it's good - http://www.utmr2003.dk/

Of course, it's hard to class a paragraph or two on each map a review, but hey.

hal
7th Jul 2003, 12:25 PM
You are my hero, Webslinger. I've tried to convince various persons involved in map review sites of this for a long time now.

Most people who read map reviews are not mappers. I appreciate the technical comments because they are instructive to the mapper and help him or her improve the quality of future work, but I don't want to read all about why this or that sucks but nothing about the gameplay.

Some sites are better than others about this. Of course, different sites serve different audiences, and that's fine.

I just think that a site that reviews maps on gameplay first and foremost would do very well. I mean, there are some butt-ugly maps out there online that get played like crazy because they are fun or interesting to play. But you'd be hard pressed to find a map like that on some of the review sites because it would either get buried in negative reviews because the review schema focused too heavily on technical aspects, or it just wouldn't get reviewed.

Yeah, I don't want to play a map that has major problems tecnically, but I don't think that's what is being discussed here.

DeRailer
8th Jul 2003, 01:36 AM
why not start a beyondunreal map review team?

WebSlinger
8th Jul 2003, 09:46 AM
DeRailer... that's BRILLIANT!

The Dopefish
8th Jul 2003, 11:51 AM
<japanese wrestler guy whose name I can't recall>Indeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed.</jwgwnIcr>

Renegade Retard
8th Jul 2003, 12:50 PM
/me slides Webby a bigger plate, the one he has is getting full. ;)

I have to say, though, I DO like the idea.

WebSlinger
8th Jul 2003, 01:14 PM
whoah there, turbo. ;)

TWD
8th Jul 2003, 01:25 PM
I thought this had been done before but whatever.

You get together a team of like 8 people then someone gives them a good map they all play it (preferably together online) and then everyone makes comments about it and discuses the gameplay as if it were to be a strategy guide for that map.

psst zenny jump on this quick.

Captain Kewl
8th Jul 2003, 04:54 PM
Sho Funaki

Doc_EDo
8th Jul 2003, 08:04 PM
Are there any map review sites that are reviewed by good players that know very little if anything about the technological aspects of mapping and/or UnrealED?

I'm not a mapper... I don't care if they use Static Meshes, or BSP, or cubes, or movers, or shaders, I don't even know what any of that stuff is... so any map review with reliance on those things is not going to hold much water with me.

I want to read reviews by people who like to play this game, and play it well.
Actually the scoring should be gameplay 50%, and other 50% the mapping skill.
The gameplay should be dudged by a player non-modder (that actually likes that game mode) and mapping buy a mapper.

Current reviews are usually one or the other, never both.
I saw on NC one reviewer even commenting on how bad the game mode, a map was meant for, was. That just sucked.
In the end it's all about tastes.

Nosnos
9th Jul 2003, 06:38 AM
Well its the same with reviews of books, music, movies you name it. The trick is to find a reviewer that you know takes the "right" things in account while reviewing a map. I've recently completed a map that was made for the "competetive" community and because of this the eyecandy wasnt that extravagant... Considering this I knew that my map wouldnt get great reviews on most sites since most of them seem to focus more on looks than gameplay and flow...

The best reviews however comes from the players and from the serverbrowser ;) A map is successful if people play it over and over again weeks/months/years after its release and in my case the ultimate sign of success would be if it was played on any of the leages out there, like CB here in Europe for example...

My map was actually played on CB a couple of days ago by two clans and they seemed to like it very much so that for me means that I could care less about any reviews that some reviewer might put out. After all maps should (imo) be created for people to enjoy playing not to get high scores by some reviewer...

Hunter
9th Jul 2003, 07:23 AM
i'd be part of the BU Map Review team :)

and its better for players to review so they know where it lacks gameplay options etc

Renegade Retard
9th Jul 2003, 07:40 AM
Actually the scoring should be gameplay 50%, and other 50% the mapping skill.
The gameplay should be dudged by a player non-modder (that actually likes that game mode) and mapping buy a mapper.

Current reviews are usually one or the other, never both.
I saw on NC one reviewer even commenting on how bad the game mode, a map was meant for, was. That just sucked.
In the end it's all about tastes.

Did you not read what Webby was looking for? He does not care about the static meshes, coding, or what ever. He's simply looking for a review on the gameplay. That's it. Period.

There are plenty of websites where you can find what you're looking for, but the 50% this 50% that is not what this thread was created for.

I'm with you, Webby. I want a site to tell me if the game is worth playing. I know nothing of all the technical mumbo-jumbo and could frankly care less.

Renegade Retard
9th Jul 2003, 08:02 AM
Lol

WebSlinger
9th Jul 2003, 08:03 AM
I dunno about the idea of making a NEW map review team... we should just take over NC or Insite which are already hosted here at BU.

Doc_EDo
9th Jul 2003, 08:05 AM
Renegade Retard :
I remember maps in UT that were a total disaster from a mappers point of view, but players just loved it. How long can you go and give a good review to a map that everyone can see looks crap? There needs to be a limit.

Renegade Retard
9th Jul 2003, 08:14 AM
Bottom line - Is it fun to play? Will people play it?

That's all I need to know.

There's tons of maps out there that look like crap, yet people continue to play them. Why? Because there fun to play.

I didn't buy this game to look at the maps and think "the demensions of the quadralateral static mess is not precisely calculated to equal the geometric flow of the games space/time continuim." I bought the game to play and have fun.

I agree that reviews on structures of maps are necessary. The point is, however, that this was not the intent of this thread to begin with. The intent WAS to find a site that was strickly dedicated to the gameplay.

WebSlinger
9th Jul 2003, 08:17 AM
simmah dahn nah!

Renegade Retard
9th Jul 2003, 08:21 AM
who, me? I've gotta have fun on occassion!

:D