I have to share this...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fat Marrow

Vegetable
Feb 27, 2002
London
discord.gg
You know those moments when you finally figure out what's been killing your maps for over the last year? Just had one of those moments myself...

When making new decos, for example, I'd try one out in a map, then make a change and recompile the .u file. However, despite rebuilding and reloading the .u file, I got the old version of the deco appearing in my map. So I'd make a new map, and place the deco again, and yet again get the old version of the deco. Strange, I thought, so I deleted every single .u file I'd ever made and recompiled them all, messed around with exporting and importing my maps, and yet lo and behold, the old version of the deco was still there in the end.

Anyway, the thing is, I'd always assumed it was ok to have different types of packages (textures, sounds, etc) with the same name, e.g. MattUKTown.utx and MattUKTown.u (this choice of names is probably not coincidental ;)), since that never apparently caused problems.

However, when faced with a similar (hair-pulling, blood pressure-raising) problem with static meshes, I downloaded Mr Cordero's UT package tool to have a look at my packages -- and I discovered that all of my static meshes had been copied into my sound package, and vice versa for my sounds. Therefore the meshes had indeed been cached into the sound package, so all my very many changes to the map and static mesh file were having no effect.

Anyway, end of rant -- suffice to say you should always give different names (aside from the .utx suffix etc) for different types of packages.

Or was it just me who didn't know that?

Fat Marrow

Vegetable
Feb 27, 2002
London
discord.gg
fist_mlrs said:
i didn't know that, but im a lucky bastard after all :)

I'm lucky in a sense... if I hadn't figured it out, I would probably have kicked in my computer by now ;)

I'll just have to wait for the next unpredictable piece of fun from UnrealEd (can't wait).

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
i once had this problem but i don't remember how exactly. it was probably with meshmaker who couldn't find my textures because the texture package and the mesh packages were named the same way.
i then had a look at Angelheart package and noticed he used different names ;)

w00p

Windows at its best
Wow, UED is such a damn nitpicker! :p
I wonder why we all keep hanging around with him, I don't really like him that much...
Well, he's better than most of the alternatives. :)

Don't worry bro, we won't dump you ... yet :D

anyway, creepy, how I can have evrything in a .utx... lol
How the **** did you manage to get a mesh in a .utx file? :p
really, I'm curious... Could come in handy if you ask me. :)
only having custom sounds and then ship it in a .umx would be so sweet to utterly confuse poeple :D

Last edited:

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
AFAIK, all packages in UT use exactly the same compresion. So, you could put all your textures into a .u file, all your sounds into a .utx file, and all your code into .uax file, and as long as the files went in their proper folders (uax in sounds, etc) Ut would be able to read the packages and understand them. Kinky, huh?

Fat Marrow

Vegetable
Feb 27, 2002
London
discord.gg
predator_321_go said:
Wow, UED is such a damn nitpicker! :p
I wonder why we all keep hanging around with him, I don't really like him that much...
Well, he's better than most of the alternatives. :)

Don't worry bro, we won't dump you ... yet :D

anyway, creepy, how I can have evrything in a .utx... lol
How the **** did you manage to get a mesh in a .utx file? :p
really, I'm curious... Could come in handy if you ask me. :)
only having custom sounds and then ship it in a .umx would be so sweet to utterly confuse poeple :D

Ah.. you nearly caught me out with the Phantom Edit...

The way it works it this, I think: after you import (say) a sound and a texture into MyPackage, you save MyPackage.utx from the texture browser, and you save MyPackage.uax from the sound browser. Fine. Except that you didn't create two MyPackages (one for textures, one for sounds), you only made one -- containing both your sound and your texture. And now you've saved two copies of the same package to your sound and texture directories.

When you next load your map, UnrealEd loads the first package called MyPackage that it can find, which is, say, MyPackage.uax. The user (let's call him 'Fat Marrow' for convenience) thinks that the editor has loaded both the .utx and the .uax package because, hey, both the texture and the sound have loaded.

The problem then arises when you import a new texture (or change an existing one), and save MyPackage.utx. When you next load your map, it only loads MyPackage.uax, containing the old version of the textures. That's when the fun begins.