Beerbaron help requested, aka Hellsing DVD subs/dubs

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DamienW

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir
Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
Here's the deal.

I intend to purchase the Hellsing DVDs. Until recently, those weren't available in France, but last week, volume 1, including the episodes 1 to 4, was released in french version. I bought it for zone reasons, thinking that if the french version sucked, i'd listen to the jap version with subtitles.

First surprise : the french voices aren't bad at all. Not as good as the japanese ones, but the actors have their moments.

That is ...... until you hear some translations. The text is sometimes completely changed, even to the point where it means the opposite. A couple examples (the "english" lines are fan-made subs that i got from edonkey and that seem fitting, so i assume they're somewhat accuracte, not to mention they fit the characters better):

Order 1 : Alucard enters the church where the vampire priest is about to suck victoria's blood.
English : That's enough ...... PUNK ! (you can hear the japanese guy say punk, so this one IS accurate)
French : I'm fed up with you, dude, FED UP !

Order 2 : Integra is at the shooting range, and is talking with Walter.
Integra : Would you like to still be in the field ?
Walter : No, nothing pleases me more than serving you.

now in french :
Integra : This is going to be dangerous, i'll understand if you resign.
Walter : i'm afraid, but i'll stand by your side as it is my duty.

Order 4 : Walter shows integra the snuff movie and the part where a hellsing insigna is seen
English : what we see here is a hellsing insigna. It seems someone inside our agency is involved.
French : This is captain gareth here. He is involved in this movie black market.

You get the drill. Good lines changed in lame ones, Characters out of characters, and even false things, all introduced for no reason at all (the Gareth bit particularly, why ?).

So i'm considering buying the US DVD, but i am a bit reluctant now, so i ask anyone who has it : are the subtitles at least, and possibly the English voice acting, good ? Is it worth getting ?

Thanks.

And yes, FelltheuniverseXXX, i know Alucard annoys you :D ;)

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
I have the OGM's, which are a perfect rip of the DVD with both audio tracks and switchable subs. The dubbing will simply make you want to die. Period. The subtitles are also very different from the actual Japanese at some points, although they are sometimes relatively accurate. All in all, if you are concerned about accuracy of subtitles, stick with fansubs.