n00bs. Yes, lets discuss it before 2.9 comes out

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nikoomba

Feb 6, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
I'm posting this in relation to a discussion had in IRC yesterday between myself, Ice, Sublime and AlmostAround, as well as a couple of others. The discussion was about n00bs, and whether they were a good thing, a bad thing, or somewhere in between. I have been doing much thinking since then, and I have decided the following.

n00bs are always going to be around. So long as Inf, or any other game, is around, there are always going to be new people to it who want to get into it. It something we have to accept. Many of you vets have accepted this, some haven't. Probably myself included. I can remember when 2.85 I think it was came out (the version that first had multiplayer code and was stand alone). IRC was absolutely flooded, Noah's ark style, with n00bs. "I can't get Inf to start." "How do you use this aim?" "How come my graphics go funny?" "Why can't you run?" etc etc

At the time (some of you vets may remember) I was pretty heaviy involved in the community. Working with Real Maps etc etc, and I tried to help as many n00bs as I could on IRC. These days I would probably just tell them to piss off. But now I have a new outlook. I won't tell them where to go, but I'm also not going to suck up their you know whats. If someone is a n00b or otherwise and is acting like a wanker, I'm going to tell them what I think of them. I think the fact I have been here so long at least gives me the right to do that.

No doubt we will see a similar situation of n00b flooding when 2.9 comes out. I just hope they at least have a sense of humour, and don't take any seemingly harsh comments really seriously and personally. You have to earn respect, in life and online, you don't just get it because you're new.

Anyones thoughts?

Ice

Apr 11, 2002
Visit site
I'll be tolerent up to a point: the moment they start pulling stupid **** like "CAN U SEND m3 UT 4 THIS?!"

I'm willing to help them as much as I can stand, and then the gloves come off if they have the mental capacity of a teaspoon.

Mappie

--Total World Domination--
Nov 9, 2002
maryland, USA
Visit site
As far as im concerned n00bs are nothign new. And one of the most important parts of our community. How else is inf to grow? welcome them. Jeeze people, yeah they can be a bit annoying with their questions that may be simple to us. But it may be difficult to them because they dont have the knowledege that we have. Sure so,things may be a bit annoying. But really why does this really need discussion. Peopl who will flame n00bs will flame them. People who want to help will help etc.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
Eh, I refuse to partake in the drama of "I'm a verteran, you are just the new guy, I can treat you like crap". It's all BS. While yes, they may be new, I see no reason that we shouldn't treat them with respect. It's what we'll get in return, unless the other person is a jackmonkey with nothing better to do than troll. I've done this "put the newbie/n00b in his place" thing before, and it's tiresome. A lot of times we judge people on forums because of the way they type; It's hard not to. However, I know some legit people in this world who aren't snot-nosed brats who just can't type that well, so they'll use the common shortcuts. Now, I'm not saying that's the case 100% of the time, or even 80% of the time, but it happens a lot.

I say we stop being jackarses from the start and give new people some leeway before they get harassed. No more urine-soaked newspaper in my hand :)

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
I think a policy, for the sake of whats left of my sanity, is to try to limit the amount of shorthand typing they will do. I am sorry but I can't respond to what you are saying if I can't understand what you typed.

I try to be helpful as much as possible and I do know at times there are people you just can't help. I will give the news guys every chance.

I also think a small website may be advisiable. It will cover as much as possible the important stuff thats been settled, or answered a thousand times.

A complete list of weapon suggestions and the decisions made. All of the annoying things we know we will be asked and we already have the answers for. Sorry having people just search won't work and the great crash complicates things. Maybe this is something I could work on with some help. hmmmm. Then when asked we point to the site and say read.

For my next suggestion I think a wait and see if needed approach is required. I know of some forums in other fields have a restricted section. Invite only and passworded. This allows people who want to discuss something serious without having to deal with a bunch repetative questions or silly comments. Yes this smacks of snoobery and other things I hate but may be usefull for a few months while things settle down. The idea though is to allow a place for people who don't want to deal with new guys you have no learned our "culture". It may prevent some of the flamming that is going to occur.

The fact is that we need the newbies and we are all newbies at some point. Hell most times I believe I am. Problems will arise and we need to deal with it. I will treat them with respect but will not back down. There will be plenty of silly questions and dumb suggestions. People will flame, scream and shout. Apoligies and complaints. Good ideas will come from unexpected places and some of these will be ignored. Some will try to get along and others won't.

Hmmm this sounds like our current situation. ;)

Edit: Translated from Benspeak to English

Last edited:

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
I'm more annoyed with those of us who label someone a 'n00b' before they've established themselves as such. If they're getting flamed for honest questions or not knowing something, you run the risk of putting someone who could be valuable or contributing off.
And don't give me that crap about the internet requiring thick skin. Half of you wouldn't spend 5 minutes in a community that looked like CS at first-impression.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Too bad that the people that are going to flame the newbies won't change their manners no matter how much we say they should. Otoh the normal members of this community already know how to behave ... so this topic is kind of pointless.

Besides it can be summarized in one sentence :
Treat them as you want them to treat you/the community.

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
beerbaron said:
remember, there is a difference
unfortunately, many vets don't think so :hmm:

i hope eveybody will behave nicely, i remember the TTR release on IRC and it was not that bad
if you feel like you won't be able to resist, just stay away from them (general forum, offical irc) even if you think you own these places :p

AlmostAlive

Jun 12, 2001
Norway
Visit site
My take on this is somewhat similar to what Yurch said. We will most likely get a lot of new people in here, both on the forums and on IRC, that just discovered the game with the realease of 2.9. Thing is that while a lot of people are claiming that the community is dying because people are leaving, some do their best to chase new people away. The treatment some of the newbies on IRC have gotten lately could in real life compare to getting beaten up and stabbed to death because you looked in the wrong direction when a "vet" passed by. I honestly don't believe comments like "Are you stupid? Go shoot yourself" and "Why are you still here? Get the hell out of this channel!" is justified when a newbie asks a question that some of the "vet's" might find idiotic. If anything, those are things that make OUR community, in the eyes of an outsider, look like the counterstrike community. Flames for no reason. Like Yurch said, most of us wouldn't spend five minutes in a community like that.

I see it as our responsbility to show the newbies what we and the game is all about. We're a small community, many have left and we desperately need refill. I agree that we shouldn't tolerate all and everything. I trust that trolls and spammers will be dealt with both on the forums and on IRC. But we have to give people a chance to get to know the community, not chase them away before they've had a chance to knock on the door and settle in. Again, Like Yurch said, some of these guys might actually have a thing or two to contribute with.

I think it's boring to kill the same guys over and over again every day. When it gets to the point where you know every guy's favourite route on a map and their favourite weapon for each map it should be a sign that we really need more fresh meat to shoot at. Hopefully we'll get some of that with 2.9. Unless we decide to get rid of them before they've had a chance to prove themselves, of course.

Edited to make it almost readable.

Last edited by a moderator:

(SDS)benmcl

May 13, 2002
Visit site
I agree with Almost. Just be prepared to answer what we may consider a stupid question. They have no idea what has been asked or suggested before.

I did have a suggestion to help out but discovered a large hole in it. Need to patch large hole.

anaemic

she touch your penis?
Jan 7, 2002
london, uk
I dont know about you freon, but all i remember is weeks of people asking why their crosshair wasnt displaying and if they had to change their graphics cards drivers for them to show up properly o_o

i have no paitience for people who wont rtfm

(SDS)benmcl

May 13, 2002
Visit site
The answer to the question is RTFM. Right at the top have a sticky saying. Any questions answered in the manual will not be answered.

I would like to see a mutator that scans messages and looks for dumb questions based on key words. If someone asks a question answered in the manual it kicks them out of the game with a message. Read the ****ing manual. ;)

Last edited:

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
The funny thing about this thread is the fact that many of the so called "vets" here would in fact become newbies the moment they stepped onto a server like GD4 or PR1. Many of the "vets" here haven't played in many months and would be a little lost with the loads of new muties, maps, camos, etc. I am sure that they wouldn't want to get flamed if they came onto a server and asked a few harmless questions with good intentions.

Therefore, I don't think it is too hard for many of the people here who don't play to put themselves in a newbies shoes.

n00bs are different thing altogether of course. Also, a good percentage of n00bs are simply trouble making vanilla players or forum trolls that just get a kick out of stirring up the pot.

In the end it is simple:
Help newbies with their questions like you would want to be treated the first time you booted up INF.
Tell n00bs how you feel about their actions. If they don't change their tune, then kick, ban, or simply try to ignore them.