PDA

View Full Version : Zombie model

Dirty_Ape
4th Jul 2003, 06:46 AM
Hey Kangus...tell me what you want for this zombie model then.

Dirty_Ape
4th Jul 2003, 11:49 AM
Heres some stuff ill need your thoughts on before I start some designs.

What is the max poly count?
Does it need fingers or only fists?
Gory or very gory?
Male or female...or both?
Fat or thin?
Clothing style/futuristic or period?
Fast (Reanimator style)or slow (Day of the Dead style)?
Racial background or nationality?
Any reference/your favourite Zombie?

Do you want just one Zombie (predictable) or a section of shapes and styles (overly ambitious)?

I may get my machine at home online this weekend,and then again I may not.If not ill be back on Monday.

Anybody have any thoughts feel free to chip in.

Smoke39
4th Jul 2003, 01:59 PM
What's this? A modeller offering us assistance? w00t!
Now what'd we want zombies for again?

EvilDrWong
4th Jul 2003, 02:32 PM
A polycount of somewhere between 1100-1400 would be a good point to aim for, methinks.

Kangus
4th Jul 2003, 03:19 PM
What is the max poly count?
poly count.... less than UT2k3 player models, more than Unreal1 monsters have. so probably Doc's estimate....

Does it need fingers or only fists?
well, I don't want clenched fists... open fist (ie thumb + finger bundle) or with fingers should work

Gory or very gory?
mmm... gore... It would be nice if they were somewhat dissectable.. I'll think more about this.

Male or female...or both?
both.

Fat or thin?
umm... both? mostly thin.

Clothing style/futuristic or period?
generic 20th century stuff.

Fast (Reanimator style)or slow (Day of the Dead style)?
definitely slow Romero zombies for now.

Racial background or nationality?
hmmm... all th

Any reference/your favourite Zombie?
get back to you on that.

vulture987
4th Jul 2003, 03:36 PM
my lord, this is gunna be freakin cool if it works out

Dirty_Ape
6th Jul 2003, 05:37 PM
Oooooh it'll work!

Kangus
21st Jul 2003, 01:12 PM
I wonder where this guy went? I better e-mail him.

Dirty_Ape
25th Jul 2003, 06:26 PM
Im back!

Just moved house from London to Manchester and it all went a bit haywire for a while.

I had already done some designs but I wanted to finish them off before I sent them.Also wanted to check out an old 1985 copy of Cinefantastique with lots of designs for Return of the Living Dead in but that was stored in London.Got it now.

Work shall resume now.

Designs will be sent this week for a couple of skinny Zombies, male and female.

Kangus
25th Jul 2003, 07:13 PM
nice... glad you are back, now that the contest deadline has passed I should have more time for this.

speaking of Zombies, with any luck I shall get to see 28 Days Later tonight...

Dirty_Ape
26th Jul 2003, 07:08 PM
Cool.

I'd like to hear how good 28 days is as I have been meaning to check it out for a while.

vulture987
28th Jul 2003, 01:57 AM
speaking of off topic sci fi, i saw "The Core" and it was the most rediculously dumbed down from the book unrealistic bull**** storyline i have ever seen or read. surprisingly the fact that they cant explain how anything in the movie is possible at all makes it very humorous for the first hour or so but then they launch the mission and it gets all mushy garbagey. eight thumbs down.

Dirty_Ape
28th Jul 2003, 04:19 AM
Thats what I expected from the poster alone.I gave that one a miss.Instead I saw Resident Evil.What a load of rubbish.Possibly one of the least suspensful horror films of all time.

Kangus
28th Jul 2003, 11:11 AM
28 Days Later was definitely interesting, though the ending was kinda Hollywood.... which is why you need to sit through the credits to see the alternate (ie the intended) ending.... not sure if they are doing that everywhere though, or just in the US...

Dirty_Ape
31st Jul 2003, 04:13 PM
Here are some rough preliminary sketches of two zombies who need a good meal.

Feel free to cast you eyes over this loverly couple and tell me what you think.

EvilDrWong
31st Jul 2003, 04:28 PM
Totally diggin the both of them! Theyll look dope ingame, all... lumbering and sauntering and whatever else zombies do besides eating brains.
Are you going to be rigging and/or animating, or will that task lie on the shoulders of someone else?

Dirty_Ape
31st Jul 2003, 04:32 PM
Im rigging and animating.

Looking forward to doing some grotesque zombie movement.

Kangus
31st Jul 2003, 07:25 PM
looks excellent. I'm looking forward to coding them, unless Doc wants to take a crack at it, that is :p

EvilDrWong
31st Jul 2003, 11:28 PM
whatevers clever :p ive got tons of time nowadays

Smoke39
1st Aug 2003, 04:27 AM
Are these zombies gonna be skeletal meshes? If so, I shouldn't have to do anything special for them to appear on my railgun thermal scope, unless you use some funky skeleton. ;)

Dirty_Ape
1st Aug 2003, 05:05 AM
Would be superb to get them working with your scope.Love the scope.

Explain skeletal meshes,either i,m ignorant or I dont recognize the terminology.I presume they will be animated with character studio,though I can build bones in Max if needed.

SamMaster
1st Aug 2003, 10:57 AM
link to it?

Smoke39
1st Aug 2003, 02:38 PM
Erm, I da know how to explain skeletal meshes... UT2K3 player models are skeletal, the monsters aren't. If you're making your zombies in the same way you'd make a player model, it's probably a skeletal mesh. And in that case, it'd be helpful if you used the same bone names as the UT2K3 player models.

Dirty_Ape
1st Aug 2003, 04:33 PM
OK

I know how player models work and will do it that way.

Kangus
3rd Aug 2003, 10:22 PM
yes, skeletal is generally the best way to go.... from what my old modeller on Pearman told me way back when, skeletal animation also puts less strain on the system than does vertex animation or whatever the other kind is.

SamMaster
3rd Aug 2003, 10:56 PM
"frame"-based? That non-skeletal kind actualy saves each and every coordinate of meshes and nodes for each animation frame in a file seperate fromt the main file. I think.

Dirty_Ape
4th Aug 2003, 03:48 AM
Skeletal it is then.I knew the old method as vertex animation,the way the first Quake was done.Very time consuming.Not exactly animator freindly.

Should start modelling this week.I also want to develope a legless zombie that drags itself along.Should be nice and creepy,dragging its guts along behind it.

Smoke39
4th Aug 2003, 03:31 PM
I like the sound of that guts-dragging, there. :D

vulture987
4th Aug 2003, 09:30 PM
ya know what would be cool? if the zombies ripped gibs off of themselves and whipped em at you like in classic quake

Dirty_Ape
5th Aug 2003, 04:47 AM
Animated entrails are a definate possiblity.I loved all the bits in Day of the Dead with guts spilling out and also Reanimator with the intestine attack at the end.A zombie would look great with entrails swinging about as it moves.Ooooh the possibilities....

SamMaster
5th Aug 2003, 09:37 AM
Karma physics for the guts prehaps?

Dirty_Ape
5th Aug 2003, 05:04 PM
Now thats what I call a sensible use for new tecnology.

SamMaster
5th Aug 2003, 05:54 PM
hey why not :)

It came to my mind that it could be possible to create a player with a seperate yet attached coat on with actual movement using karma physics that would detatch the moment the player model's thorax bursts.

Neuroflare
8th Aug 2003, 02:15 PM
That would rock.

Dirty_Ape
17th Aug 2003, 01:45 PM
Here she comes just a'walkin down the street singing 'Doo-a-diddy-dum-diddy...BBBrainsssss!'

Consider a this a work in progress.Polycount now at 1116.

Dirty_Ape
19th Aug 2003, 06:46 PM
His and hers walking undead.

What do you think?

Heads detach to show spine bone sticking out of neck.

Can make more bits separate for dismembement but the joints will be obvious without shoulder pads and stuff to hide them.

Must do guts next to hang out after gut-shot,as long as they dont send the poly-count too high.

Smoke39
19th Aug 2003, 06:58 PM
I am likin' the sound of those gut-shots, there. Can't wait to see the models skinned. :D

Kangus
19th Aug 2003, 09:57 PM
they are looking pretty good man. keep it up.

master_newbie
6th Sep 2003, 03:50 AM
what happened to this ??

i want a zombie invasion

Dirty_Ape
7th Sep 2003, 05:42 PM
I intend to get this done now.Have not had any time lately.Hope to make serious progress from now on.

Kangus
9th Sep 2003, 12:26 PM
heh.... and with any luck I'll be able to Postalize this model as well

Dirty_Ape
10th Sep 2003, 04:49 AM
Been looking into Postl 2 since that one seems to have slipped past me when it came out.

What a nasty looking game.

Downloading demo now.

Salivating in anticipation.