PDA

View Full Version : Deathball V1.7 released

Sexmachine
2nd Jul 2003, 07:43 AM
As I see ourselves as friends of TeamVortex (some of them did some of the fantastic JB3 GOLD maps) I like to inform you that they have released version 1.7 of their UT2003 mod at www.deathball.net.

I especially recommend to check out one of the included maps called DB-GreenBaize, as it is a map done by one of our longtime supporters called RevBillyG and he did a great job on this one imo.

If your JB2003 maps become just half as nice Rev, I have no doubt they'll be kicking ass too. Good job m8! :D

Trueblood
2nd Jul 2003, 10:01 AM
I remember surfing about Rev`s site http://www.revbillyg.com/ (you dont mind me plugging your site right?)
That level looks huge...would make a groovy Invasion map ;) hope to see maps like that in JB future!

SirTahngarth
2nd Jul 2003, 10:08 AM
Deathball is BR with a complex passing system that doesnt work reliably (and im assuming the players are doing it right) and nothing but the shield gun. BR has its flaws but its not as boring as DB since its not always shield gun arena. That pool table map is l33t though :)

RevBillyG
2nd Jul 2003, 10:51 AM
Bah! DB is cool :)

GreenBaize is.....ok for a first decent attempt at the new engine ;)

SirTahngarth
2nd Jul 2003, 11:04 AM
how about a Me Little DM version :P frankly that map is by far the most unique theme ive seen- the only other map like it that i've seen is JB-PoolTable (fun map but plauged by a buggy execution that doesnt always kill bots)

Sexmachine
2nd Jul 2003, 11:19 AM
The execution sequence in JB-Pooltable can be fixed quite easily (actually I have a wroking version somewhere on my HDD) ... but the geometry of the map is full of troubles (BSP cuts and HOM's) and that's why I have stopped to fool around with that map. :)

TheSpoonDog
2nd Jul 2003, 10:31 PM
Wow Rev, how bout JB-PoolTable2003? ;)

KrazyK
2nd Jul 2003, 11:59 PM
Yes, definately make that map into a jailbreak version. :D Keep the skeletons too. :lol:

KrazyK
3rd Jul 2003, 12:55 AM
What the hell is with the flash intro? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Trueblood
3rd Jul 2003, 02:55 AM
What the hell is with the flash intro? :mad: :mad: :mad:

:lol: i never got through it...stupid intros
I never liked the Bombing run and i dont think i`ll like Death Ball. They shoot the ball in the air shoot it with shock rifle, then do that crappy telefrag across the whole map. unless you get the ball first, you got no hope...it only seems fun agains hard bots :(
Good idea they`re trying to introduce "sport" into a killing game :lol: but i didnt buy Unreal to play ball games!

RevBillyG
3rd Jul 2003, 03:06 AM
Sexmachine gave you the wrong link.
It's http://www.deathball.net/ :)

Katana
3rd Jul 2003, 05:17 AM
Rev, that Enterprise map on your site looks well good, might just download DB to play it. A release date for it?

Sexmachine
3rd Jul 2003, 08:19 AM
Secmachine gave you the wrong link. And Rev talked about the wrong guy. :D

RevBillyG
3rd Jul 2003, 01:04 PM
Rev, that Enterprise map on your site looks well good, might just download DB to play it. A release date for it?

I doubt there is m8. I think I might dump it. However....hmm suppose I really should release it for the sake of completion as it is playable (with a couple of bugs to fix)

Katana
3rd Jul 2003, 05:21 PM
RELEASE IT, its very cool, if not as DB, then as DM, i'm a bit of trekkie incase u haven't figured that out :)
If your not gonna public release could u send it to me pls :D

---END OF BEGGING---

KrazyK
3rd Jul 2003, 05:33 PM
DB-GreenBaize is a very nice map Rev. If it's going to become a jailbreak map I think it's going to need something more. Simply running back and forth across a pool table is not all that exciting IMHO. I love the skeletons though. Very COOL:cool: One more thing, could you lose that dripping sound, it was driving me krazy. :lol:

RevBillyG
3rd Jul 2003, 07:30 PM
GreenBaize for JB? Not a chance ;) It was made for DB only. Just wouldn't work for anything else (go into fly mode and look around the room. There's nothing there!)

RevBillyG
3rd Jul 2003, 08:09 PM
As you asked so nicely....DB-Enterprise (http://www.revbillyg.btinternet.co.uk/revsite/maps/DB-Enterprise.zip). Be warned, looks nice (from a distance) but plays like a piece of crap.

Of interest to other mappers tho. With such a complex mesh, the bots really don't like it at all and have a hard time navigating it. This creates a situation where all your cpu power goes into the bot AI and causes you to get ~5fps ingame. What I had to do was to take the original mesh and multirez it in 3dmax. This decreases the poly count by whatever percentage you wish. You then import this low-poly mesh into UEd and use it as an Invisible Collision Hull. Make sure it's set to be invisible ingame (can't remember how offhand but it's in display somewhere :p). I also set it to be invisible in the editor to keep it out of the way, though you can still actually see it in the mesh browser as well as in the 3d preview screen.

This would explain why some of the bots seem to float above the hull of the Enterprise as I didn't make an awfully good job of it ;)

The same method is used in the map CTF-December (which is where I got it from)

Mulch_D
4th Jul 2003, 03:55 AM
is there an update version of DB for 1.6 to 1.7? I don't want to waist a few hours downloading any thing thats not JB2003, so is there a simple update or do I need to get the full version.

RevBillyG
4th Jul 2003, 04:09 AM
'fraid not. There's too many changes to warrant it. The bulk of the file is for the maps.

DavidM
4th Jul 2003, 04:39 AM
"Deathball is BR with a complex passing system that doesnt work reliably (and im assuming the players are doing it right)"

it works 100% right 0_o

Mulch_D
4th Jul 2003, 06:08 AM
Well I tried downloading the file, and found it would take 5 hours, my internet conection only goes in 4 hour blocks. So I was woundering, would I be able to download the componens sepertly and the compile them?
I realy want this (I enjoyed DB) but I don't want to spend to much time trying to download it.

DavidM
4th Jul 2003, 06:10 AM
use a download manager......
www.downloadaccelerator.com

Katana
4th Jul 2003, 04:40 PM
I see what u mean by framerate issues Rev, it wasn't too bad though, i usually get about 30-35fps on 2k3 was getting about 20 on that map.
Didn't notice anything else wrong with it though :D

All i can say is, good job man.