PDA

View Full Version : Jailbreak III Translation

Fobos
2nd Jul 2003, 06:17 AM
Hello Mychaeel,
I wrote a message in the old jailbreak forum asking about translate Jailbreak to Spanish and you replied me that its was a project, and that you were searching people who could colaborate with translations to other languages.
Now I asked you if you and the rest of the Develop Team allow me to make the translation to Spanish of Jailbreak III Gold. A translation with .est files that I would sent you into a .zip file to add with the Jailbreak Modification into the .umod file.

I felt animated with your last reply and help me to give the last step.

PD: Sorry for my bad English :-(

Mychaeel
3rd Jul 2003, 05:42 AM
(Moved from "Jailbreak Support" to "Jailbreak Maps and Mutators"; this is neither about a map nor a mutator, but it's about creating custom Jailbreak content, so I suppose it fits in best here.)

Urg. I absolutely meant to send you a reply to your email already, but for some reason that was constantly pushed out of my immediate attention. Sorry about that.

I'm currently unsure whether the work on the core of Jailbreak III (Gold) can be considered concluded for good or whether we'll release another Service Pack for it sometime in future. We could, however, of course simply make a dedicated "translation add-on pack" for Jailbreak III with your Spanish translation and maybe a German and French one.

I, personally, don't have the time to coordinate such a project that at the moment, but of course I'd lend my support to somebody else who does. I could provide you with the source .int files that contain the strings that need to be translated.

So this is basically a call for somebody from the Jailbreak development community to help out. Anybody?

KrazyK
6th Jul 2003, 12:21 PM
What exactly would be involved? Would it just be a matter of translating any text and then making a umod? If that's all it is then I might be able to manage that operation. Unfortunately I don't know any other language other than english, so someone else would have to do the translating.

Fobos
6th Jul 2003, 06:08 PM
Hello,
Thank you to support me in this project.

I have extracted some files .int starting from the .u using UnrealEd, although I believe that it will be better than you spend the .int files directly. :-)

KrazyK could help me to clarify me with some few expressions that are used in the game, and that I don't understand well.

I believe that it is a good idea to add the translation now in a "translation add-on pack", and in a future, when it is possible, to add it inside the UTJailbreak installation.

Thanks to all. :-D

KrazyK
7th Jul 2003, 03:38 PM
No problem Fobos. :D A translation add-on pak would probably be good for now, but actually integrating the whole thing into the Jailbreak release itself would be Mycheel's decision. Once Mych sends you the int files it shouldn't be too hard to tranlate everything. I'll try to help you clarify as much as possible. :lol: Feel free to PM me if you need to. :)

Mychaeel
7th Jul 2003, 04:57 PM
Here are the language files for all in-game messages. (The web admin interface is localizable as well, but that's a bit more complicated.) They've been created from the latest versions of JailBreak.u and JBArena.u.

Should somebody else want to contribute a localization for a different language too, go ahead. :)

Fobos
10th Jul 2003, 02:41 PM
Ok, thank you at both :-)
KrazyK, soon I will send you my doubts inside a PM.

Until soon.

KrazyK
10th Jul 2003, 05:17 PM
So once Fobos translates everything, is the correct procedure to change the text in the .uc files and then recompile the .u files? As far as I can see that is the only way. Well, short of writing a program that could parse the .u files, but no thanks. :).

Wormbo
10th Jul 2003, 05:58 PM
No, he doesn't even touch the source code.
He dumps all localizable properties to an INT file (through the dumpint command in UEd for UT or the DumpInt commandlet in UT2k3) and translates it for the EST file he wants to create. Also translations to French (FRT) and Italian (ITT) would make sense for a UT mod, but I'm afraid a German translation (DET in Unreal and UT2k3) wouldn't make much sense without a German translation of UT itself.

Mychaeel
11th Jul 2003, 03:35 AM
So once Fobos translates everything, is the correct procedure to change the text in the .uc files and then recompile the .u files? As far as I can see that is the only way.

If you have "Language=est" configured in your UnrealTournament.ini, simply renaming the translated .int files to .est and dropping them into your System directory will suffice.

You can try it yourself; actually that's a required step before releasing the translation pack in order to make sure that the translated text actually fits into the places where it's supposed to be displayed. (If a translated text item is much wider than the English original, the screen layout may become messed up.)

Rob
11th Jul 2003, 12:00 PM
I'd like to help, but I don't understand what to do with the int files. Can someone explain to me please ?

Mychaeel
11th Jul 2003, 12:06 PM
Take the files, open them in Notepad (or any other plain-text editor), translate the text items, save them as .frt (assuming you'll translate them to French). That's it, basically---users merely have to drop them into their System directory then, provided they have their Unreal Tournament user interface language set to "French."

Rob
11th Jul 2003, 12:24 PM
Got it, thanks.

EDIT : how do you save it back afterwards ? It remains a txt file.

KrazyK
11th Jul 2003, 12:53 PM
Thanks. :D Rob, just rename the file to what it has to be.

Rob
11th Jul 2003, 01:03 PM
;) I'll trust you. :)

CoolDude
11th Jul 2003, 01:34 PM
Just for fun, I looked at the int-files, to see if I could translate it in Dutch.
I didn't take long to find out it all looks very silly when translated
(but hey, that's normally the case when software is translated in Dutch).

Also, there are just some basic English words which just can't be translated in Dutch, and look normally.
I think you will run into the same problem when you try to translate it to German.

For all you Dutch people out there, this is what you will run into:
captures = gevangennemingen, opsluitingen ?
Skill = kunde ? (BAH)
bot-supported = bot-ondersteund ?
Timeout = Tijdslimiet
Red Jail = Rode gevangenis ? (BAH)
Undisclosed = ?
to frag = omknallen
Releases = Vrijlatingen ?
Release Protection = Vrijlatings beveiliging ?
Jailbreak Tutorial = JailBreak les
friendly fire = vriendelijk vuur
Capture Timeout = Opsluitings tijdslimiet ?
Custom Player = Aangepaste speler
Transloc Delay = Transloc vertraging
translocations = Transloc versplaatsingen
Pickups = ehhh... Oppakdingen ?
Respawn Pickups on Capture = ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ...

I give up.
It just looks like my bad translated Windows version (where refresh rate = vernieuwingsfrequentie).
If wanted I can translate all of it, but I warn you, it's going to look silly.
:cool:

KrazyK
11th Jul 2003, 04:00 PM
Does UT even have a dutch translation??
I don't think a direct translation is necessary, just try and get the idea across. Instead of Undisclosed use Unknown, Items in place of Pickups. But since I can't read dutch, maybe you have done that. :D

(but hey, that's normally the case when software is translated in Dutch).
Every language that I've seen(with the exception of japanese, chinese, etc)I can almost pick out words, etc. Dutch it looks like utter giberish, too many vowels. :lol: :lol:

Mychaeel
11th Jul 2003, 04:36 PM
KrazyK is right: The translation should make sense and be easy to understand; it doesn't necessarily have to be verbatim.

Rob
19th Jul 2003, 07:12 PM
French translation is over. Mychaeel got the files.
Thanks to Tarquin for the little help.

Pziko Snake
3rd Aug 2003, 06:57 AM
I can do the Italian translation, but I don't know how to move in these files... so if anyone can help me to figure what I should change... go ahead!

Wormbo
3rd Aug 2003, 07:14 AM
For Italian translation the files must be called ITT. Just rename the files Mychaeel posted, put them into your UT\System directory and start translating right away. :) If you need help with what certain strings are used for just ask here or maybe in our IRC channel. (#utjb @ irc.enterthegame.com)

Pziko Snake
3rd Aug 2003, 08:10 AM
k, i will... 1 thing: how do I use the itt file?

Mychaeel
3rd Aug 2003, 08:55 AM
Open it in a text editor like Notepad. It's just a text file with a fancy file name extension.

Pziko Snake
3rd Aug 2003, 09:01 AM
I wanted to say that I want to play with it! I'm not that dumb ;)

Althought the file is ready, u lazy man can't make a spanish translation
in a +a week, and I made an Italian one in 1 hour, lol

(i'm kidding mons!)

After tell me how to play the game in ITalian

Mychaeel
3rd Aug 2003, 10:01 AM
Open UnrealTournament.ini, look for the line "Language=int" and change it to "Language=itt". That should be it.

Pziko Snake
4th Aug 2003, 04:50 AM
Yeah, but it is the game itself language, no?
I found it under [Engine.Engine] and it was ITT b4 I started browsing the file, and with the Serach function I haven't found any line with language=int, after I searched for itt and I found only the game one... So how Can I use the Italian LANGUAGE with Jailbreak?

EDIT: I'm really a n00b, lol! I had only to put the file in the dir, I thaught that I needed to change some parameters in the ini file, thx :D

Fobos
11th Aug 2003, 11:09 AM
Mychaeel, I have sent you the files for the full translation of Jailbreak to spanish to your e-mail.

Thank you for all Mychaeel and KrazyK :-)

Goodbye.

KrazyK
11th Aug 2003, 07:50 PM
No problem Fobos, happy to help. :D

Fobos
8th Mar 2004, 10:25 AM
Hello Mychaeel,
I want to know when you put the Jailbreak translation pack for Jailbreak III at the downloads section.

beefsack
8th Mar 2004, 05:27 PM
lol if someone wants to make a japanese character texture pack then i can do that for you :p