PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite CTF map (for any game)

WebSlinger
30th Jun 2003, 11:45 AM
What is your favorite CTF map for any game? If it's not a UT99/2003 map, maybe it should be.

Here is a link to my favorite... This is a HUGE quake 1 CTF map that played best without the grapple and with at LEAST 8 per side who knew how to communicate. This was a map for epic battles. I wish the screenshots had a layout overview, it was really something to play on. Lots of usable traps for the defenders to spring upon the attackers. Great lookout towers to warn the castle (and sniper nest) of incoming. Just a great map.

I guess the closest to this that I've seen in the U-World would be CTF-Conquest for UT99, but the castles in that were too small.

I would LOVE to see this for UT2003 (without xloc, if you can believe it)

link: http://www.threewave.com/quake1/ctf2m6.html

Shuriken
30th Jun 2003, 01:00 PM
I'm torn.

UT1 - CTF-Conquest (http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/dl.php/nalicity/utctf/ctf-conquest.zip), by Plutonic.

http://www.planetunreal.com/plutonic/images/conquest1.jpg

UT2k3 - CTF-DiffidenceREV2 (http://www.unrealplayground.com/download.php?mapid=2517), by BluJay.

http://mod.maqn.com/img/pow5_640.jpg

Both very similar actually, in style at least (if you use your imagination in Conquest - UT1 obviously can't spell everything out for you in the way 2k3 can...)

The Warden
30th Jun 2003, 01:18 PM
CTF-Lucuis for UT and UT2K3

Renegade Retard
30th Jun 2003, 01:37 PM
Couldn't find a link for mine... maybe someone else can help in this department:

UT1: CTF-HallOfGiants
I've never played this map online, but had the pleasure of loading it chock full of Godlike bots offline & doing battle with friends at LANs. To date, it's my favorite purely for the fun factor. Not sure if there's a UT2003 remake...? If so, I need to DL it NOW! :)

CTF?!? I LOVED HallofGiants as well, but what I played was DM.

Man, I haven't played UT in a while. I've got flashes of maps running through my head, but I can't put names to any of them.

Maybe I'll load it up tonight! :D

DeRailer
30th Jun 2003, 01:49 PM
there's a lot of great ctf map for ut99, but my favorites by far should be projectX2 for really large games(8on8), conquest and baranco for 4on4.

The map that left the biggest impression in me however, is ctf-underdark. It's a great concept, with a pretty effective, even though unbalance layout.

Swedix
30th Jun 2003, 02:46 PM
I still think ctf-coret for UT99 is the best ctf-map.
Imo, it has everything a good ctf-map should have.

WebSlinger
30th Jun 2003, 02:52 PM
correct link to DiffRev2: http://www.unrealplayground.com/feature.php?id=629

x3dfxTarget
30th Jun 2003, 03:04 PM
Just d/l'ed the DiffRev map...really nice, wanna try that with lotsa players :)
My favorite ctf maps are from the Q2 era, dont remember the names offhand, but there were some great maps:)

Rev.Whoopass
30th Jun 2003, 06:18 PM
For Quake it was DM4 and DM6

Quake 2 DM1,and DM7

for UT Lucius,Chasm,and Mcswartzly

honestly do not like any maps for ut2k3,I play them,but there are none yet that make me wiggle.

The Dopefish
30th Jun 2003, 06:32 PM
RealCTF's CivilWar. The UT conversion didn't do much justice, and just wasn't the same without the RCTF Beamer.

deadboy
2nd Jul 2003, 01:00 AM
UT's CTF-Warrior and CTF-AquamarinaX32. Words cannot adequately describe the qualities these maps have.

hal
2nd Jul 2003, 04:49 AM
The two I would LOVE to see remakes of are

1) The Sketch Pad (http://www.planetunreal.com/realctf/images/ctf/17/)
2) Crazy 8 (http://www.planetunreal.com/realctf/images/ctf/10)

But in general, any of the RealCTF maps (http://www.planetunreal.com/realctf/images) were classics. Those were among my favorites of all time. Most of them have Quake origins.

The Lost Caverns
Base10
Naliwonderland
NotSoForgottenMines
StandOff
McSwartzly
Fortress
UnderDwellers
Symbolic Shrines
Crazy8
Dark Keep
HoldOut
Mayan Temple
Stronghold
Milk
Rooke
The Sketch Pad
Telurium
Resist

You'll find a lot of familiar maps (either in gameplay concept or name) in that list.

Mxtrmntr
2nd Jul 2003, 06:07 AM
CTF-Raid, CTF-ProjectX2 for UT. Hmm, and some others that are quite close to those. It's not like I know many other games featuring CTF though :hmm:

Renegade Retard
2nd Jul 2003, 09:08 AM
CTF?!? I LOVED HallofGiants as well, but what I played was DM.

Man, I haven't played UT in a while. I've got flashes of maps running through my head, but I can't put names to any of them.

Maybe I'll load it up tonight! :D

Well, screw me!

I dusted off UT and loaded it up last night. What do you know, HallofGiants IS CTF!

I played UT CTF botmatches for about an hour last night. I couldn't believe how much I had forgotten about these maps. Many of them I was lost for a while, and took me a while to even remember how to get to some of the flags! It was a good time though. Playing it brought back that felling of "man, this game's a classic one of a kind" that UT2003 is missing, but I also noticed that there was quite a bit missing in UT that UT2003 offers. But enough of that old debate....:)

HallofGiants was very very fun. I'm not a big fan of low gravity, but this is the one map where I feel it is appropriate. It's definately in my top five. I think a remake of it for UT2003 could be potentially awesome.

WebSlinger
2nd Jul 2003, 09:17 AM
hal, that's my point... IMHO CTF map layouts and gameplay have not been improved upon since Quake1 Threewave CTF. And no one has managed to pull off playable asymmetrical maps since 3wave.

Swedix
2nd Jul 2003, 10:58 AM
And no one has managed to pull off playable asymmetrical maps since 3wave.

November :o

Ominous
2nd Jul 2003, 11:10 AM
Both my favs are from UT1.

DiamondSword & Lucius were always great fun in my opinion.

DaBeatard
2nd Jul 2003, 11:18 AM
I like Warring Factions from JK2. I can't seem to find a screen of it though. Anyways, it probably wouldn't be good for ut because there are so many ways to fall off.

WebSlinger
2nd Jul 2003, 11:51 AM
November :o
...that people didn't complain about "unbalance" ;)

hal
2nd Jul 2003, 12:25 PM
I have to say that I liked the plethora of asymetrical CTF maps that we got in UT. The only one that was totally unfair in the balance was Command and I even enjoyed that map.

Let's see.... asymetrical CTF layouts (not weapon placement... layouts) in UT/Bonus Packs

1) Command
2) November
3) Gauntlet
4) Kosov
5) Eternal Caves
6) LavaGiant

Yep, that's a bunch of them. Most of them acceptably playable.

But you're right, TWCTF set the standard and may have the ultimate guidelines for good gameplay. Of course, there are other good maps that totally abandon that formula, but usually they are the more open, free-flowing CTF maps (or outdoor) that don't rely so heavily on corridor/room/corridors. Thus are exempt from the three in/three out rule.

Swedix
2nd Jul 2003, 01:03 PM
...that people didn't complain about "unbalance" ;)

Oh yeah. they did.
If the Red team lost, they said the Blue team had easier defend the flag.

If Blue team lost, they said the Red team had easier own the sub.

WebSlinger
2nd Jul 2003, 01:12 PM
Swedix, that's what I'm saying... I don't remember those complaints on 3wave asym maps :)

Ruprecht
2nd Jul 2003, 05:45 PM
Easy for UT1

CTF-Face, hands down!

It's probably the one map that most CTFers got their start on. How many Face servers were there? A frikkin lot. It's still probably the most popular, some may say it's lame and promotes most things that people dislike. Not gonna argue that, spawn killing was rampant, but did that make it any less fun? Noobs loved it, they could sit there and snipe all day, and some of us were those noobs. Face it, it was fast paced and a blast, whether you were a sniping noob, a 1337 shockho, a piston camper, spawn killer, a rocket master or one that just liked to fly the deemer around for 5min, everyone had fun.

CTF-Coret

It was in the demo, for a reason too. It was fun, symmetrical and gave us our first taste of UT CTF.

CTF-Twin Valley2

I'm biased on this one, how I did love to run those walls. Just call me spiderman.

[MUTTS] Hiteche5
2nd Jul 2003, 08:09 PM
I used to play DM all the time. It wasn't until UT did I get into CTF so my experience is limited to that. But my favorites are....

1. CTF-Coret
2. CTF-November
3. Warring Factions (from Jedi Knight)

Sir_Brizz
3rd Jul 2003, 07:49 PM
Orbital2 is probably one of my favorite maps ever.... I only really got into CTF in UT though. I went back and tried others but I didn't like CTF as much in Quake or those. Although 4CTF in Unreal1 was pretty fun! :)

Captain Kewl
3rd Jul 2003, 11:08 PM
The Smelter.

TyeFang
4th Jul 2003, 01:36 AM
McSwartzly's &
NovemberCE105

- Tye

-AEnubis-
4th Jul 2003, 02:59 AM
Lucious looked really good on paper, but I never had fun playing it competatively.

HallofGiants was entertaining, but I wouldn't consider it one of the best, seemed too novelty.

For UT, I loved EpicBoy, but all time, it'd definately be Scarabre. Man I've got some good memories of that map. Fun times.

I have to say that I liked the plethora of asymetrical CTF maps that we got in UT. The only one that was totally unfair in the balance was Command and I even enjoyed that map.

Let's see.... asymetrical CTF layouts (not weapon placement... layouts) in UT/Bonus Packs

Yea, most of those were "playable" but oddly enough, the ones that were weapon unbalanced were the least playable. Niven, and Coret were just hated for that if you had even skilled teams.

Although 4CTF in Unreal1 was pretty fun! :)

Multi CTF for UT was awesome, unfortunately, no one played it, so my only experience with it was with bots... I loved the idea though. Being able to cap a flag, which doing which, rescue somone elses flag only to cap 2 for yourself. Thinking about stopping another cap if said team was winning, just to slow them down. So many possibilities.

ApostleX3000
4th Jul 2003, 06:13 PM
CTF-Freakscomeoutatnight. UT99

SealClubber
4th Jul 2003, 10:52 PM
1) CTF-LaPuta][

2) CTF-Esprit

the best 2 maps ever! :eek:

cvydas
5th Jul 2003, 10:16 PM
Lets not forget about UT1 CTF-Noxion16.

PoweR'
7th Jul 2003, 09:05 AM
CTF-SpamFactory or CTF-Deck16. I'd like to see someone do those for UT2003..

*hint*hint* ;)

-AEnubis-
7th Jul 2003, 04:44 PM
I know this is a UT forum and all, but I can't believe of all the different games, UT-CTF maps are getting all the attention. My top 5 prolly wouldn't be UT.

Blastside was another old fav of mine.

WebSlinger
7th Jul 2003, 05:01 PM
AEnubis, what game was that from?

-AEnubis-
8th Jul 2003, 01:31 AM
Tribes. One of the only variations of CTF I ever enjoyed. JK][ was good as well, but none of the maps were that memorable.

I dug TFC too... the varying abilities or classes was what I liked. The level design, and how it worked with the play in Tribes was really good though. Vehicles were much fun too.

Swift Viper
8th Jul 2003, 08:37 AM
I enjoyed Eternal Caves and Lava Giant the most, something about them made them so much fun to play over and over. Facing Worlds was also a good map for me to play, the bots were dumb and I could easily get a Godlike on them, they only shot at me sometimes when I was on the tower. I also enjoyed the beta verison of Eternal Caves for UT2k3, now I just want to see the classic remake for Lava Giant.

Crimson Drake
25th Oct 2003, 10:41 PM
My favorite CTF map is CivilWar 2001 for UT. I just played it online today, and I don't know where to get it. It's alot like Civil war only with more hilly terrain and the flag areas are 3 storys tall.

Sir_Brizz
25th Oct 2003, 11:04 PM
holy bump of gehenna!

hal
25th Oct 2003, 11:48 PM
My favorite CTF map is CivilWar 2001 for UT. I just played it online today, and I don't know where to get it. It's alot like Civil war only with more hilly terrain and the flag areas are 3 storys tall.

If you played it online, you can save it from your UT cache.

Azmo
26th Oct 2003, 05:30 AM
CTF-Terra.

<rain man>Yeah. Definitely, definitely Terra.</rain man>

CaSCaDe
26th Oct 2003, 06:26 AM
i would have to say bollwerk, still on eof the greatest maps ive played, the ut2k3 version is a pretty damn sweet map to, actualy its one of the few custom maps i actualy like.

ah and who can forget hydro16, that was also a damn fine map

edhe
26th Oct 2003, 08:13 AM
My experiences are limited to the UT world so... :) My faves in UT were Bollwerk, Lavagiant and Lucius (jumpboot combos and low grav EFC kills :-))

There were many others that had great qualities, but being a clanner i have some issues ith most custom maps ;)

Also in UT99, ctf-rotor was great fun, i didn't want to say it 'cos well, i was involved in the map and also it seems to be offline now :( I Might have an older version of it kicking about, but 3s is the man for that.

2k3 i prefer orby2 and citadel, good playable maps with enough depth in tactics to be fun every time for me :)

Hallofgiants remake? (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://unrealed.myexp.de/index.php%3FP%3Dinfo%26D%3D883&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dctf-hallofgiants%2B2003%2B%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3Dutf-8%26sa%3DG)
Tokara Forest style Giants remix (http://www.unrealplayground.com/maps.php?mapid=1370)

NeoNite
26th Oct 2003, 09:04 AM
Unreal tournament:

aquamarina, shadar, arcticoutpost, hog][, howlinggods, ratchet, coret,eminence, lightheaded (remorseless mappack), conquest, cretin complex, Epicboy, nalisazure, bollwerk,lavagiant...
There are more though...

WebSlinger
26th Oct 2003, 09:23 AM
holy bump of gehenna!
man, I thought this thread was lost in "The Crash"

dapngwnman
26th Oct 2003, 09:53 AM
Diamond Sword 2 from UT...i could fly a redeemer out my teams little redeemer shoot..and actually get that redeemer straight down the enemies little redeemer shoot and kill FC's...

Face from UT...sit on the back of the base and fly that redeemer in loops until i see a good blob of enemies to make tasty gibs of

SylverFyre
26th Oct 2003, 10:14 AM
pretty much all UT CTF maps were great imo

favourite has probably got to be coret

-AEnubis-
26th Oct 2003, 02:30 PM
/me wonders what percentage of these people even played tribes... :hmm: