Todays $100 question - what part is fried?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dag

Red Penguin
Jul 20, 2002
Sweden
Ok, I suppose everybody does something stupid in life. I just didn't think it would happen to me :D
I took out the memory from my computer but I forgot one thing, to remove the power cable *embarrassed* So when I installed the memory again the computer (to my surprise) came to life I turned the computer off immediately and checked if the memory had any signs of damage. I couldn't find anything so I turned the computer on again but then the PC-speaker started making a long beep which means it can't find any memory.

Do you know what might be the problem and how to fix it? I would guess the memory is fried but then I tried too boot with the memory stick which had been in the computer all the time (I have two) but that didn't work either so maybe the mobo is thrashed. I hope not because I'm pretty short on cash right now.

Any help is greatly appreciated so if you have anything to say that might help please do so :) Btw, don't bother asking how I could be so stupid 'cause I honestly don't know.

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
Yes, It could be your mobo :(

But, there is a small chance that it's only the BIOS settings that was corrupt when you turned off your computer. That can sometimes happen if you turn it off while it's POST'ing.

Try to reset your BIOS with the jumper. Check your mobo's manual.
After you reset the BIOS, go into BIOS when you power-on your pc again and choose Load Optimized Default.
If you're lucky, that fix your problem.

There is also a chance that both memory stick got fried. Try them in a different computer or try a different stick in yours.

dag

Red Penguin
Jul 20, 2002
Sweden
I reset the BIOS but it still doesn't work. And now it doesn't even beep anymore. When I start the computer, nothing is displayed on the screen so I can't load the optimized defaults. Something smells burnt in the case :( I will try to borrow a memory stick somewhere to see if the memory is wrecked. I guess I can only hope that the mobo isn't damaged but I'm not feeling lucky to say the very least.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
If the sickening sulphurous smell of burnt silicon is in your case, it's a foregone conclusion that this is worse than just a borked BIOS :(

I say this not so much for your benefit as a Public Service Announcement. When you're opening up your box for tweakage, turn off your power supply if it has its own on/off switch, AND unplug the unit from the wall.

I'm actually surprised that your PC automagically turned on when you put a mem stick into the mobo. That's one I've not heard before.

dag

Red Penguin
Jul 20, 2002
Sweden
I don't know how burnt silicon smells so I don't know. And I know I should always unplug the power cable when I tweak my computer. I always do, except for this time when I forgot. Yeah, it is pretty weird that the computer turned on automatically. Well, I'm gonna see if I can get a new motherboard on the warranty. Wish me luck :)

dag

Red Penguin
Jul 20, 2002
Sweden
\/\/0rf: you seem very sure which part is fried, yes? I'm not an expert in this area (which you may have already noticed) so please tell me which part you think is damaged. Anyway, I think I'll get a 64 mb ram stick today so I guess I'll find out anyway.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
I don't know which part is damaged. All that stuff smells the same when it burns out. The only thing I was saying was that the smell is never pleasant, and is almost always bad news for some piece of hardware or another.

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
Worf is right here, if you ever feel the smell of burnt silicon, you will know.
The smell just wanna make you vommit. Not only because of the smell but also because you know what it means.

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
I`ve seen MB`s turn on just by installing a peice of hardware or pulling\pushing on it with it plugged in. Not only do you want to unplug it, but you then want to push the power switch in on the front of the case to discharge any stray voltage. Mine will usually make the fans spin for a sec while it does it.
Also be sure to do that before resetting the CMOS as the stored voltage can keep it from actualy resetting unless you leave it jumped forever.:tup:

dag

Red Penguin
Jul 20, 2002
Sweden
Rukee: Yes, it is a good idea to press the power button when the power cable is offline. My fans also spin for a sec when I do that.
Btw, some great news for me. The mems are OK :tup: Now I just need to try the cpu in another computer and I will know if that one works too. I guess I could have bad luck and the cpu and mobo is toast but lets just hope one of them is.

Anyway, thanks for the help all of you. If you come up with something don't hesitate to post :)