PDA

View Full Version : So, now that I've bought and played UT2003...

The Dopefish
29th Jun 2003, 01:23 PM
...there are a few questions I have.

Why are there so many people squatting (read: as to defecate) on this game? It's not all that bad...sure, it's no UT, but it has its high points, too.
Should I be arsed to download any mods? Are there any really worth downloading?
Anyone get some of the models there are to download? Which ones should I look at the most to download?
Any good custom maps yet?
Who wants some? ;)

WebSlinger
29th Jun 2003, 01:56 PM
5. We expect to see YOU at FragBU!

Dopey's a good player, guys. I remember some FUN FUN FUN Rocket Arena games against him. Great in-game attitude.

Dope, I think you'd have some fun with us at FragBU.

edhe
29th Jun 2003, 01:58 PM
Heh.

Dope, just keep tuned to BU for all the good stuff.

spineblaZe
29th Jun 2003, 01:59 PM
1. Because they are dumb. If you don't like it, don't play it.

2. I don't know about mods. I haven't tried any. www.dragonballu.com looks pretty cool though!!!

3. www.planetquake.com/polycount LOTS of good models, I especially like the ones by Chris Ollis. Homer, the comic packs... Bender kicks butt too.

4. Yes. Lots.

5. Me. :D

I love this game dammit!!!

The Dopefish
29th Jun 2003, 02:10 PM
Dopey's a good player, guys. I remember some FUN FUN FUN Rocket Arena games against him. Great in-game attitude.

-The Dopefish slips Webby a 5-er ;)

I was hoping especially for some specific maps/models/mods. If I'm going to play on the Web I'll need to download whatever maps are on there that I need to download.

KJAX
29th Jun 2003, 02:16 PM
Hey Dope, check out DM-CrookedForest.

http://www.ut2003hq.com/searchfiles.php?f=crooked+forest

It will give you new rig a stress test. :D

The Dopefish
29th Jun 2003, 02:39 PM

Filefront is teh borked.

WebSlinger
29th Jun 2003, 03:34 PM
Dope, The Web's list of installed maps can be found here --> http://theweb.dyndns.ws/ (no, the pull-down doesn't link you to a download location... it just reads from the server's maps directory).

The Dopefish
29th Jun 2003, 03:38 PM
I wonder how big a zip of all the custom maps on that list would be. :)

DaBeatard
29th Jun 2003, 05:15 PM
Roughly 118 mb. I can post the zip file for you and DeDpoet, but I'll have to take some of the fragBU demos down to do it.
I'll give everyone until Wednesday to dl the demos, then I'll put up the maps and stuff. Cool?

hal
30th Jun 2003, 05:51 AM
The reason so many people are crapping on UT2003 is for the way that it shipped. To say that the latest patched game has changed from the out-of-the-box game is an understatement. That never should have happened.

Epic underestimated the subtleties (and yes, Cliffy, options) that UT offered.

The maps were also a little heavy on the static meshes. My favorites are still mostly Digital Extremes creations (Oceanic, GrendelKeep, Orbital2, etc) because having spent more time with the content, they seem to have had a better grasp on the gameplay.

The game as it is now is fantastic. I can only wonder what kind of review scores it would have received. I wonder how the community itself would be different now were it released in its current state.

Many of the people that still bash it are either hung up on the fact that it changed slightly from UT, or are just still on the retail-bash bandwagon. There are legitimate complaints still out there, but all-in-all it is an improvement on one of the greatest games of all-time.

Too little - too late? Who knows. We'll have to wait and see how UT2004 is accepted (which is partially UT2003).

Maps... your best bet is to just jump online and find a few servers. Check out the maps you see in rotation. Then check out the list you see growing in the thread in this forum. Then, of course, keep your eyes on our news page for the latest map reviews.

Polycount is the source for the best of the best custom models. I don't download too many of them, but I have grabbed a couple of really cool ones from there.

Hunter
30th Jun 2003, 06:21 AM
5. me too i will show up to fragbu on the 11th if it's running :)

yeah everyone hated that it wasnt UT, but what do you expect to happen over the gap? just the epic guys sat on their asses working on the same engine same tools and realeasing something exactly the same.

When i got ut2003 i was on a gf2 and i still loved the way it looked.

The new stuff within was good and wasnt out of place blah blah etc :)

Shock6822
30th Jun 2003, 01:32 PM
You'd be stupid not to download Deathball and try it online...check the BU homepage 1.7 version was just released

The Dopefish
30th Jun 2003, 02:47 PM
Well, I downloaded Carry the Flag (which there are no servers for online), Deathball (which is huge with Euros, it seems), and Overload (which there are no servers for online).

WebSlinger
30th Jun 2003, 03:53 PM
:tup: Dope... someday I will run Carry The Flag for FragBU... just waiting for the right time :)

The Dopefish
30th Jun 2003, 05:01 PM
:tup: Dope... someday I will run Carry The Flag for FragBU... just waiting for the right time :)

Is that like waiting for Jesus to make you give him a blow job? ;)

The Dopefish
30th Jun 2003, 05:42 PM

Wow! Not for online gaming! ;)

k0lpA
30th Jun 2003, 06:37 PM
u can try my 2D mod too ;) http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showpost.php?postid=1136980&postcount=35

TWD
30th Jun 2003, 07:30 PM
Must have maps:
CTF-Garden of Heaven
CTF-Romra Moon Station
CTFBollwerk Ruins
DM-CampgroundsLE
CTF-HallsofAnubis
CTF-MaulLE100
CTF-December le

These are the only custom maps I see online consistantly. These are like the bollwerk terra and thrornsv2 for ut2k3.

For mods deathball is key. There is also a good lazymatrix mutator. I can't think of many other mods that anybody really plays. Overlord was very good and polished but none of us really liked the gameplay. Watch out for uskaarj that will be out soon. Most of the good mods aren't out yet.

NeoNite
30th Jun 2003, 07:42 PM
Hal "pretty much" got it right. At least, my case is a bit different since I don't hate ut2k3. Just doesn't seem to work for me. So maybe one day it will.. who knows. The future is bright...

1. Because they are dumb. If you don't like it, don't play it.

Thank you for this wonderful contribution, einstein.

WebSlinger
30th Jun 2003, 08:25 PM
layoff it Neo... it was tongue and cheek... don't take it personally, k? :)

this isn't INA

NeoNite
1st Jul 2003, 05:15 AM
Yeah I know.
And I wasn't taking it personal. It's just a comment I've seen quite a few times at .. guess... INA.
And like ya said: This isn't Ina.

Stosh
1st Jul 2003, 10:23 AM
Is that like waiting for Jesus to make you give him a blow job?

Dopey.. Is that really necessary. Can't you get your point across without being offensive?

WebSlinger
1st Jul 2003, 10:42 AM
Thanks Stosh.. I just let it go, but it IS a heck of a thing to say to a Christian.

DeDpoet|BuF
1st Jul 2003, 11:18 AM
UT2003 is fun. It's not UT. For some people that's a disappointment. For others, they just don't happen to like the new formula as well as the old. As for me, I enjoy it alot - at the same time, I might not put it on my short list of 'must haves.' Personal opinion & very subjective (as all are). There really isn't an objective & authoritative statement to be said of ut2k3 when it comes to being bad,good,great, etc.

DaBeatard <-- I really appreciate the offer to post the .zip file, but you won't have to go to all that trouble on my account. I can dl the maps on my own, and BU can go on with those demos. Thankyou, nonetheless. :tup:

Renegade Retard
1st Jul 2003, 11:19 AM
Thanks Stosh.. I just let it go, but it IS a heck of a thing to say to a Christian.

Agreed

Stosh
1st Jul 2003, 11:23 AM
As to UT2k3.. I like the game. There is no way to go back and play UT. I've tried it once or twice, and it just feels odd.

Ill be honest.. the CTF maps leave a bit to be desired. The stock maps of Orbital2 and Citadel are probably the best. As for custom, Electric Fields is a lot of fun. So is Bollwerk Ruins 2 (Great remake Stilly) It's a remake of the custom UT map. A lot of people like Deep Sprinta

TWD
1st Jul 2003, 11:27 AM
deepsprinta le is ok it has layout but it still needs some more tweaking.

edhe
1st Jul 2003, 11:31 AM
Says TWD, the mapping genius.

Deepsprinta's a better effort than most, but i still find it a flawed map.. it's seeming to take so much influence from so many old maps yet doesn't gel them with it's own style, imo.

The Dopefish
1st Jul 2003, 12:17 PM
Sorry...I needed to make some joke about something that could feasibly take a very long time to happen...perhaps I should've used another Duke Nukem Forever joke, but two in the same day makes it seem like I've got no other material. :)

[MUTTS] Hiteche5
2nd Jul 2003, 07:14 PM
Heyas Dopey.

I recently got into UT2K3 (I was gone for a while) and I think it is great myself. There is some things that I will miss from UT but sometimes to make progress you have to try new things.

DeathBall? Hmmm...might have to try it.

A_Rimmerlister
3rd Jul 2003, 04:55 AM
This is a good source as well :
http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/model-list.htm
You do have to be careful as there are no pictures (so some can be kind of 'not good'), but a lot are pretty good.

btw : you should not wait if you want those comicpacks or any other Marvel-related skins/models. Now that Skindex has received a cease & decist ... Polycount & Skincity have followed as well.
So there's a good chance that Intertwined might be next on the 'hitlist' :(