CTF-DiamondSword 2k3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

LoveFest

Jun 27, 2003
California
www.planetunreal.com
Try a BETA version of Diamond Sword 2k3.

*EDIT:
NEW! Download v1 (hall of mirrors fixed)
http://www.unrealplayground.com/mapper.php?id=3062

Dsword_BirdsEye.jpg

gantryBeta8.jpg

flagRoomBeta8.jpg

Dsword_gantryBattle.jpg

jumpSpot_Dsword.jpg

Dsword_boots.jpg

damageGrate.jpg

http://www.planetunreal.com/utlovefest/Dsword.html
Yes! Those are boots!

Last edited:

LoveFest

Jun 27, 2003
California
www.planetunreal.com
Does it run smmoth?
You should see a doubling in your fps, when playing my next release on Monday: DiamondSword[BETA11].

I added anti-portal textures and geometry, and I'm seeing a double, and in some places, a tripling of my fps. I'll try to post it on Monday.

One thing tho, wtf is grass doing all around the map? If you really wanna keep it, make it a HighDetailActor
I thought the grass was kind a cool. Some people like it; others have your reaction. I haven't fully decided yet if I want to keep it.

If I make it a highDetailActor, then I won't be able to walk through it, correct?

Very well done...Congrats
Thanks. I hope you enjoy it as much as I've had making it.

Last edited:

Dr. Nick

Oct 5, 2002
GA
Visit site
Hey! I was playing this map on a server the other day.. I got accused of being a cheater :mad: . The server had (non-zoom) instagib on and I kept sniping people from the top of my base and they seemed to not like it very well...
Oh, the map itself plays pretty good.. but there was that one part, the lower platform on the bottom of the bases where you reach by going through a little hole from the sniper area? I had the flag and went down there cause the enemy was camping down there with our flag. I killed the guy but when I reset the flag I realised there was no way off... except to jump :| . (Remember, we were playing IG, so theres no XLoc's ). If you could, add another way off of that part??

LoveFest

Jun 27, 2003
California
www.planetunreal.com
I had the flag and went down there cause the enemy was camping down there with our flag. I killed the guy but when I reset the flag I realised there was no way off... except to jump :|

Do you mean the redeemer room with the glass wall and the tube? You can tell where you are by the signs that enter you into that part of the map.

You can get out of the tube and jump down to a ledge. If you have your boots on, you can jump to the "gantry" (very bottom bridge). But it's tricky. With practice you can become very good at it. It was a classic part of the strategy with IG.

If I got it wrong post a screen shot of where you're referring to.

Also, if you're playing with a partner, when you get the flag, grab the boots, and from the roof, jump toward your base. Have your partner shoot you in the back while your flying. With two shots, he should be able to get you to land on the roof of your base. Basically, he propels you; and you fly across the map--another classic strategy of IG with DiamondSword.

Hope you enjoy it. It's a classic!

Last edited:

Dr. Nick

Oct 5, 2002
GA
Visit site
Yeah luckily enough I did have the boots and was able to get back, I was surprised I made it. All of the enemy team was telling me to jump off :p

Did you think that out or did it just happen to end up that way?

LoveFest

Jun 27, 2003
California
www.planetunreal.com
Did you think that out or did it just happen to end up that way?

No. This is a remake of the most played 3rd party map for Unreal Tournament CTF. I got permission from the original maker, Arkile, to make a 2k3 version. I don't know if he ever intended it for that. But you have to ask the question, "why would it be there then?"

I've seen clan videos where they use that strategy.

I've also seen them use the boots to jump off the roof ,and have their own team mate propel them--with an IG--back to their own base's roof, to make an easy score.

I've played this map for over a year against my engineering team downstairs at work during lunch. And it used to frustrate us to no end when they would hide either in the redeemer room, the tubes, the ledge on the gantry, or on the back and sides of the pyramids.... This map has a lot of clever escape routes and hiding spots. Those are some of ther reasons what makes this map so popular.

Cliffy B asked a long time ago, back in 2000, what's one of the most hard core maps to play in UT. A lot of people said "Diamond Sword". I hope he uses that info to make more maps like it.

Last edited:

LoveFest

Jun 27, 2003
California
www.planetunreal.com
lol /me looks at all the crap-maps made by cliffy and epic/de.. nope they did not lissen, they even got more moronic.

Yeah I agree. I don't think I like any map that came shipped with the game, except Face3. I was even surprised by that myself. I thought it would be my least favorite. But it turned out other wise.

I don't think I played any of CliffyB's "Ownage" more than a couple of times. I'm tired of "ramp maps".

If it wasn't for the UT Editor and the UT Mapping community, the game would have died me thinks.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

LoveFest

Jun 27, 2003
California
www.planetunreal.com
NEW BETA VERSION!

Download BETA11
http://www.unrealplayground.com/mapper.php?id=3062

FPS (frame rates Per Second) should double or even triple with this release.

I Added Antiportal geometry and Antiportal Surfaces to produce occluding; and I added more Zones in the map to reduce the amount of rendering in the player's frustum, i.e., line of vision.

I wasn't able to test it. I just edited the map and then posted it here. But everything should work. Let me know if there are any problems.

Last edited:

toxikcunk

MulletJoe
Aug 22, 2001
Mulletjoe.com
Visit site
[CF]War[Bitch] said:
So the people that dont play for the eye candy wouldnt see the grass and it would still be there for the "graphic amateurs".

are you trying to say that anyone with a fast enough computer to run the game on high detail is an amateur?

that sounds like an afuly ignorant statement, just because u can't run the game on high detail with playable fps doesn't mean the people who can are amatreurs.

:stupid:

LoveFest

Jun 27, 2003
California
www.planetunreal.com
The server had (non-zoom) instagib on and I kept sniping people from the top of my base and they seemed to not like it very well...

Let me know the URL/IP of the server you were on with the map. I'd like to play with some real people, instead of bots.

That's some really good shootin' Tex! I just went back and was reading some of the threads, and had to do a double take on what you said. lol. Yeah.. I'd say that was some high falootin' shootin'... I wouldn't want you on the other team.

Last edited:

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
Downloading :)

One thing, I notice in the screenie above that you've got coronas next to those lights. If you go into the collision properties of the light meshes and set blockzeroextenttraces to false you'll be able to place the coronas inside the mesh so that they shine through it :)