Newspost: Infiltration 2.9 Status Update

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
Status update!
Originally posted by Sublime on the Infiltration website
As of this writing, we have finally gotten every map at what we consider a gold status. That means unless we find something wrong during testing, the maps are in the same state as they will be for the release. Given the complexity, size, and architecture of some of these maps, the level of polish and detail in them is nothing short of amazing. The fit and finish of these maps with respect to gameplay, design, and attention to detail is on par or better than 95% of the games I've seen out there.

All of this has taken place while Beppo has cranked out update after update fixing the remaining issues as well as making some final gameplay tweaks with respect to balance. At this point we have one or two small issues left to fix. Due to changes in the way the weapon pickup code works you can now open doors from 1-2 meters away. This will be fixed soon. We should be building RC3 this week or weekend, depending on a small issue or two. After the RC is built, we'll test every aspect of it, from installers to maps to gameplay, making any other tweaks or adjustments as needed. However, we've taken every step we can take to ensure that we've done everything we can to have this be the final release candidate so hopefully those tweaks will be either minimal or non-existent. That's where we stand as of this minute.

On the public relations front, I will soon have more free time than I have had in a while. Because of that, I'll begin to post updates on the status of Infiltration 2.9. The frequency of these updates will depend on the amount of time I have and what I have to say, but I'll do my best to keep you up to date on what's happening. Don't expect any updates over the next few days however as Beppo is out of town on business and therefore won't be around to fix those remaining small issues. While he's gone we will continue testing everything out to insure that we haven't missed anything. Look for an update from me early next week.
Let me be the first to say, YAHOO!!!

the_resistance

Gun in hand, ready to die!
Jun 19, 2001
Visit site
Thank you Sublime...

In all of my complaining the one thing I've stressed is updates and being good to the community that built the game up (not vice versa) to be what it is and will be. I can honestly say that I speak for much of the INF community in thanking you Sub and Beppo for all of the extra effort you've taken to keep us informed, both on the homepage and in the forums.

This is what makes a gaming company and community top notch. I think there were issues with dropping us all a line, but guess what, they were busy. I think it's been a long wait, and it'll happen here soon, but 2.9 will be worth the wait.

When it comes out, I'll be peeping it everywhere, writing every place I can think of to get the word out on INF 2.9. I'm extremely proud to be part of this community and the people within, and can't wait to see what the future brings for this mod and everybody involved with it.

THANKS GUYS! Can't wait to see finished product!

melagne

blah
Dec 6, 2002
yeeee haw. :D thank you very much sublime and beppo and the whole crew for all the time and effort you have been putting into this mod and also for keeping the community informed about infiltration which imho is the best realistic shooter yet. Also much respect to the mappers, cause ever since i noticed the screenshots thread from the tbuildt pack ive been really wanting to play some awesome looking maps... <drooools>

Mason

Self appointed voice of reason
Dec 14, 2000
Upstate NY
forums.unreal2.net
:D :clap: Y'know, this probably isn't the right thread to post this, but I am simply amazed at the community surrounding this mod. Even with all the whining about the community going 'downhill' after the 2.86 release, this is the best UT realism mod community out there. I have witnissed witnessed wholesale banning of those with opinions contrary to one mod creators 'religion', while another mod community appears to be populated purely by 14 - 16 year olds who can be serious arses. Even at it's worst, this community was infinitely better. You guys have been supportive of newbies (for the most part) and have been willing to answer questions, even if they pertain to other mods. Now, with the release of 2.89 on the horizon(?), I consider myself priviledged to be even a small part of this 'brotherhood' (if you will).

Here's to the community and the release of 2.89! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dr.J

Staying Alive.
Nov 25, 2001
Hong Kong
www.alkdjflakdjfksj.com
yeah i agree with mason... when i first joined i said some stupid things but the people here were pretty cool about it... but back to 2.9 ....... man were there! the release date can now be very soon (TM) as opposed to soon (TM)

CHrOmE-DoMe

mess with me son, and its good night
Mar 20, 2001
UK
www.scoobyfanatic.co.uk
good news :)

It Wouldnt surprise me if this will be stable enough for retail release!! :eek:
after all this mod has had more testing than most full retail games get..
Did the guys ever sort out a CS style publishing deal??

kungpaosamuraiii

HOVER TANKS
Mar 31, 2002
Cali
Probably not, these publishers want a large community.. not a small close knit one.

It'd be nice though if publishers could help get all the weapons in and a Single PLay campaign in there.

The one BIG problem I see is that if they are sponsored by a company like Infogrames, there will be BIG problems. They want things their own way or else no deal. In order to get the SP campaign for TO the team had to resort to using a 'free addon' to incorporate it while the TO box explicitly says, "Single Player Campaign."

But since INF 2.9 is already complete from a proffessional (or money-based) standpoint there shuoldn't be any problem with a forced early release. In the time that they would want to release AI can be improved and a few more weapons added so it can be a blessing. Who knows? I believe that SS was approached at one point or another about goign retail but I don't know the details of that encounter. Hopefully after 2.9 someone will see the growing trend in realism games(more realistic than CS and like games such as OFP and GR) and will get SS a contract and allow them to work on their own time.

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
I agree that they only want a broader audience. The general rule in movies the higher the budget the more broad you need to make it, the more watered down it is and the crappier the movie. Same for games.

Now. I do remember a driving game maybe 2 years back that was a hardcore simulation. Can't remember the name. What they did though was have options for everything to make it easier for a broader audience. A newbie could play at their level or a veterain driver could tweak everything.

So what I am wondering is that there can be several options or ratings for how hardcore you want to play. Then a player can turn off or on options to suit how they want to play and the level.

Warning dread C word coming. One option can be using the cross hairs. Other options can simplify the game or make the game much more realistic.

Now before everyone screams at me the second part to this is as follows. The servers are set the same way. When you jump on a server you must play at least at their level. If its set for hardcore you can't have a cross hair. Now if you want to play hardcore on an easier level server maybe that can be arranged. ie you can't find other players at your level but you still don't want to dumb down.

This would bring the game to a wider audience yet keep the features we love and be able to play it the way we want. Also new players would improve and wish to play on the harder servers to test their skills so their would be a migration to better game play.

My 2 cents although with the exchange rate...

Edit: Translated from Benspeak to English

Last edited:

Ross MacGregor

AKA Dirk-(IF)
Aug 3, 2001
Vancouver BC Canada
Visit site
It sounds like there is alot of tweaking going on for something that is supposedly a release candidate.

In my experience developing software, when you declare something a release candidate you are essentially telling the client you are finished with development but will be on hand to fix any major bugs if they appear in the final round of testing.

If you end up with more than 3 "release candidates" something went wrong with the development process and it should be addressed.

You guys are doing a tremendous job, I know it is hard work. Perhaps if you are more rigourous with the development schedule you could get releases out sooner.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
Depends on what is meant by "going retail" really.

If it meant surrendering any degree of control to the publisher then that would probably be a Bad Thing.

Inf is too perfectionist, too detailed and too difficult to survive "Going Retail" like DoD or CS intact.

Benmcl's disgusting suggestion about optional crosshairs would probably be the sort of thing we could expect if Inf did go retail.

Anybody really want that?

sublime

Cynic
Aug 1, 2000
Texas
www.caffeine-addict.org
Major bug is found. Major bug is fixed but tweaks are required for balance and to fix other small issues the major fix fixed. Game development isn't like other software development. You don't have to be concerned that your web browser is well balanced or has good gameplay. ;)

As to the rigorous development schedule, we devote every bit of free time we can. We simply don't have any more time to give.