PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone remember WebTourney?

RaptoR
25th Jun 2003, 05:27 PM
If you were around in the Unreal community around this time last year, you might have heard of WebTourney (http://webtourney.beyondunreal.com) (web-based trading/battling game based around UT2003), which was popular in Summer 02 but fizzled out when UT2003 was released.

Anway, the people behind the original WebTourney are thinking of re-coding the game from the ground up, improving it, tweaking it and releasing something even better.

What do you guys think about this? Would you play WebTourney again if a new and significantly improved version appeared?

<*)_><
25th Jun 2003, 05:39 PM
I'm up for it :)

Original9
25th Jun 2003, 05:57 PM
I use to love that game. Then people started exploiting it and it lost it's lust. :(

Thrawn70
25th Jun 2003, 06:13 PM
I played it for a bit while I was waiting for UT2003 to come out... I would have been playing UT, but my Video Card/Sound Card/System hates that game for some reason that I was never able to resolve. I might try it out again, but I prefer to use my computer time to play the real deal. ;)

edhe
25th Jun 2003, 10:22 PM
The exploitation killed the game :) If you can fix that whole shieldgun*3 malarky then i think it might be a nice idea, again.

Original9
25th Jun 2003, 10:29 PM
Buy and Selling needed to be moderated too.

Rens2Sea
26th Jun 2003, 06:18 AM
oh cool, i loved WebTourney :D

gramps
26th Jun 2003, 06:55 AM
wtf is Webtourney? the only info on that site Raptor's linked to is that Webtourney is closed...

edhe
26th Jun 2003, 08:42 AM
Basically a web based game on the idea of 1v1 play in the 2k3 universe with levelling, weapons, map-specific strategies and sad sad exploits ;)

RaptoR
26th Jun 2003, 11:45 AM
Shieldgun * 3? O_o

Hunter
26th Jun 2003, 05:38 PM
i'm up for it :) never got into it last time

SugarBear
26th Jun 2003, 06:13 PM
it's kind of like a turn based rpg in a way. except there are no turns, you just decide to fight someone and the computer decides who won.
there isn't really any game, it's all in text. you buy guns and armor and health, and then challenge someone to a fight, then it calculates some things like what kind of armor you have and all that, and randomly assigns you points based on those things then tells you who won the match, when you win you got more money and could buy more things to win more matches.

edhe
26th Jun 2003, 06:16 PM
raptor - people playing games with just a shieldgun, kinda pointless when that's all they do to level up.

RaptoR
27th Jun 2003, 06:49 PM
Yep, we'll provide protection against that as part of our shiny new cheat protection system. Experience/levels will also be completely re-worked. Tiers are gone completely, and so are levels to a certain extent. Instead, more emphasis will be placed on individual skill levels (speed, agility, aim, etc.), and your total EXP will be the sum of all those. You'll then be given a 'rank' based on your total experience points.

All in all, a more balanced battle engine and more emphasis on gaining skills by training and winning battles. Still unsure what's going to be done with Training... since it's basically just paying for EXP points it may be replaced with something else.

edhe
27th Jun 2003, 08:28 PM
Imo experience points only elevates the desire to constantly *spam* up the games without thought to gain more XP to gain more wins.

By moving the emphasis to certain skills, style and abilites it might provide a greater variety of game possiblities. IE create a player that's fast and focused on prediction weapons and play him on compressed and he'd rule, but on, say, Tokara he'd become a floating target for hitscanners that, likewise, if they were slow wouldn't be too great on a closer map if they didn't have prediction skills...

But i know i'm babbling :)

Ever thought about the idea of people managing a team and trading players? ;)

TossMonkey
27th Jun 2003, 08:34 PM
Rapp, I love webtourney, but are you still making that mod for ut2003?

Nurulwai
28th Jun 2003, 04:28 AM
Fatcake!

Original9
28th Jun 2003, 05:50 AM
Oh and don't clusterf*ck the maps with staticmeshes. :p

Original9
6th Jul 2003, 12:09 AM
So, whats the status report so far? :D