Linux question(s)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Chow Yun-Fat

W3RD UP
Jan 20, 2001
well i dont really have a specific question, but i just decided on a whim to install a copy of redhat9 on my old machine (athlon 800, 640meg, tnt2, 10 gb hd) because i found a decent 15" monitor at the local DPW that works amazingly well for trash. so anyway. just wondering any tips you might have. installation went pretty well, just a small hard drive problem. everything else has been fine and i'm thinking after i learn more of how to use the terminal and such that i'm probably going to install it on my machine. anyway, tips would be greatly appricated.

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
Use FreeBSD :p
But barring that, i recommend you use the command line only for a while and get used to Unix. Even if you use a desktop manager you will need to be very familiar with it. And have the mans ready.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
Third for FreeBSD. I recommend 4.8 for getting into it, it's the most stable version. :)

Seriously though, Redhat is supposed to be pretty good. Definately get used to using the terminal; I find myself not able to live without it under any UNIX OS. With WindowMaker as my primary window manager, I have at least 5 terminal windows open. 2 on the main workspace, 1 on each other (and I have 4 workspaces)

Private~Parts

metamorphose-tetraform
Mar 17, 2003
Wellington NZ
Visit site
to use man command, go into console and type:

man man

don't laugh:) it means: display the manual page for the command "man".
if you get stuck with a program, try this:

man program_name

and explore other related man pages for more insight. learnig curve is quite quick if you read a little!

also, ctrl alt F1 will always bring up a console and ctrl alt F7 or F5 will return you to X11 mode... *takes a breath* good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

randomas

May 24, 2001
Visit site
I still havn't tried bsd. Also what flavour of Bsd should one use free, open or net?

As far as Linux is concerned I don't like big distros even though they are the best to learn on if you have broadband think about moving to debian the apt installer updater is brilliant.

Use console comands as much as you can with the various man help and info commands. Before using a gui always give the console proggie a spin first. That way you'll have a much better idea of how things work.

Have a look round the directory structure find out what's where so you can find and modify when needed.

Learn how to use an editor in console mode. This skill is essential you'll get nowhere without it. Try emacs it also has a good tutorial.

Good luck and have fun!

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
FreeBSD is great if you want a nice stable package that'll work for just about anything. NetBSD is probably the most secure from what I understand. I don't know much of anything about OpenBSD, however. I haven't found many other BSDs worth the time yet.

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
FreeBSD is the easiest to use and its speed, stability, and security put Linux to shame. OpenBSD is the most powerful but its extremely hard to use. NetBSD is known mostly for compatiblity. It can run on computers that only had, like, 5 prototype models produced back in the early 1980's. FreeBSD is probably the best around.

Private~Parts

metamorphose-tetraform
Mar 17, 2003
Wellington NZ
Visit site
Oh yes, if you do decide to go with linux, make sure you have "mc" on your system; it's a graphical file manager for the "command prompt" mode. Type "mc" in a console and have a play:) It works a bit like "xtree gold" for dos, file manager and editor in one, same type of editor as a normal text editor.