PDA

View Full Version : Replication 'Spawn()' (UT2003)

Dexter13
23rd Jun 2003, 05:31 PM
Hi!
I have a function that calls spawn() and I get it to basically spawn an explosion if an actor is hit, very simple.

Works fine offline but as soon as I go online the Effects don't spawn at all, no-matter how I seem to replicate the function, the sounds work fine but the FX don't appear for clients!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Dex.

Mychaeel
23rd Jun 2003, 07:30 PM
Replicated functions are only sent to the actor's owner.

Either spawn your effects client-side (initiated by some engine notification), or configure your effects actor to be replicated itself when it is spawned server-side.

Dexter13
23rd Jun 2003, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the reply man,
Sorry to be such an idiot, but how exactly would I do the 2 things you mentioned?

Thanks again,

Dex.

Dexter13
24th Jun 2003, 09:52 PM
Does no-one know how to do this?
I'm kinda desperate I guess, lol,

Dex.

Mychaeel
25th Jun 2003, 02:15 AM
Well... post the class header and the default properties of the effect class you're spawning (unless it's a built-in class---then just say its name) so we can look into it.

Dexter13
25th Jun 2003, 10:01 AM
Ok, basically, in my fireModes' 'DoFireEffect' function, I simple do a trace and return a material, then test that material according to it's type and do this:

'Spawn(class'pclImpactSmoke',other,,HitLocation, rotator(HitNormal));'

(or another built in emmiter using the same syntax.)

That's all ,and it doesn't ever show for clients!

The reason I am handling the FX here and not in the attatchment where UT2003 spawns sparks, etc. is that when I do that, the FX are always one shot behind, ie: they spawn where I last fired : /

Any ideas?

Dex.

Payback
26th Jun 2003, 06:24 AM
If my amazingly crap memory serves correctly, someone figured out what was causing that one shot behind thing and fixed it.
It may have been AD-Squirrel or SquirrelZero, or something to do with furry animals. Unfortunatly I think it was posted up mere days before the board was nuked and all that data was lost. Did anyone keep the code or know if it was posted elsewhere?

It might serve you better to find the existing solution to the problem. Sorry I cant be of more help there.