World Wide Developers Conference

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dr_Strangelove

http://www.jeremycox.com
Apr 1, 2000
US
www.jeremycox.com
Well, the rumors were correct. The G5 (IBM 970) is the first consumer 64 bit processor.

Available in august with up to dual 2ghz processors.

powermacG5hero06232003.jpg

www.apple.com

kuran

Sep 30, 2002
Apple G5

It looks like Apple really made a leap in the hardware world, thanks to IBM. Take a look at the new G5 here!

I'm not sure if I like the look, though its certainly stylish.. its what inside that blows me away though!

Now the most amazing thing... the OS! If all you've used is Windows, man..check it out. Here's a preview of the next revision, called Panther.

If you want to see all this in motion, last night's keynote is being streamed continuously.

Time for me to get a job and start saving money...

Spier

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
Actually AMD's 64 bit processor is more aimed for the consumer (than towards servers, as Intel's is), and contrary to what apple says, came first. But its sort of a semi-64bit processor because its more aimed towards being an intermediate step. It runs 32 bit software with some speed increases.

Also most other benchmarks are now showing the G5 to be slower than the newest PC's, but they are at least on a par now. If it wasn't so expensive it would be cool.

Dank

Mac Guru
Sep 18, 2000
Genesis 1:12
Haha....man, it took less than 24 hours for the PeeCee trolls all over the net to try and diss the new Macs.

Sad and funny all at the same time! :lol:

Anyway, Slashdot has an interesting article up with Apples responses to these claims.

In any case the G5 IS the fastes personal dekstop computer on the market today when you factor in the fact that its 64-bit has a 1Ghz FSB and 8GB RAM Capacity. Those things alone make it able to take on anything in the Wintel world.

Plus, its light years ahead of its time. It wont be until atleast 12 months from now when Photoshop (Adobe just released 64-bit plugins today though) and other Pro-level apps start fully taking advantage of the 64-bit chip. Hell, even Mac OS X isnt fully 64-bit yet.

They are over priced as hell though. :(

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
AMD already has a 64 bit processor, and it being 64 bit will not be significant at all until 64 bit apps are out. And most benchmarks still say its slightly behind the newest PC hardware. Its definitely good,but it doesn't really beat PC's. But it does make Apple look like more than a joke again.

Dank

Mac Guru
Sep 18, 2000
Genesis 1:12
For one thing, benchmarks should always be taken with a grain of salt, particularly those which span platforms such as Apple's G5 vs. Pentium/Xeon comparisons. They often don't reflect real-world performance -- which is why Apple has presented application comparisons for Photoshop, QuarkXPress, Quake 3, Mathematica, and several other popular apps.

The result? The G5 puts the smack down on the competition. Hard

Regardless of whether the SPEC numbers may have been boosted on the G5 because Apple used an optimized compiler on the G5s and didn't do quite as good a job of optimizing on the Windows machines, the huge performance advantage seen in real-world applications makes this all but totally irrelevant. Not to mention -- many well-known developers have pointed out that benchmarks like SPEC are focused heavily in the CPU(s), and don't take into account very important real-world factors like the G5's 2x1GHz frontside busses, Serial ATA hard disks, built-in Gigabit Ethernet, HyperTransport interconnects, etc...

In short, I'm ignoring the nitpicking, the whining, the envy, and the sweat-soaked, hand-wringing fear that has taken hold of some of the less reputable Wintel pundits.

Spier

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
DankBudz said:
For one thing, benchmarks should always be taken with a grain of salt, particularly those which span platforms such as Apple's G5 vs. Pentium/Xeon comparisons. They often don't reflect real-world performance -- which is why Apple has presented application comparisons for Photoshop, QuarkXPress, Quake 3, Mathematica, and several other popular apps.

The result? The G5 puts the smack down on the competition. Hard
According to the "White Paper" then the G5 dual 2 ghz get 337 fps in Quake 3. In the same document they say the P4 3ghz get 275fps. :lol:

Even a P4 2.4ghz get more than 340fps and the P4 3ghz can get almost 400 fps in that very same test. (http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1834&p=10, it's not the exact same test, they use a slower 3d card than the Apple people..)

Now i don't care too much about this since I would never get enough money to get one of the things. But I found this quote that pretty much sums it up for me.
No Credibility

If Apple were part of the x86 market, they'd be ripped to shreds in a second presenting this kind of data. It would be a huge scandal. PC companies get torn a new one for attempting even a small fraction of what we have here.

But it's a different world in Macdom. The average Macster is woefully ignorant of hardware, and tends to believe anything and everything Apple tells him. For many, it is guru and flock.

This is not an honest business, but nobody in the PC world has ever approached Apple in the level of sheer and consistent technically accurate but totally misleading information when it comes to performance.

It's really a shame. I thought the G5 would be pretty good. From what I can figure out, it isn't, and I don't trust the company to tell the honest truth for the rest of it.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
It may be fast in something as old-fashioned & outdated as Quake 3 Arena ... but can it run UT'03 ?
Or what about a dozen other games currently available for the pc/windows-platform ?

Or is Wine an option ?

An Apple G5 is like owning a Ferrari without a driverslicense.
It may be fast, but if you can't get anywhere ... it's just a useless piece of equipment.