Color change for link gun?!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

LupusStudios

Jun 16, 2003
I know it's possible to change the color of the link gun and i want to do so for my weapon (For now called Redgun)...

I have tried to figure it out but it just doesn't work, and then i heard something about check_replacement and stuff and that just added to the confusement! (Is that even a word...? ;) )

So can someone please help me out here with a bit of code and where to place it?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
If you have figure out how to changed the LinkGun color then you are most of the way there. Think of this the logical way: Even though you have a class there, you have to tell the game to use it at the right time.

The question is, how did you change the color? Did you extend the LinkGun's weapon class or did you extend something else?

CheckReplacement is used to replace the weapon in the game with your weapon. Really you could just go into Instant Action and summon it if you wanted to make sure it was working right.

LupusStudios

Jun 16, 2003
The problem is im not even sure it does trow out the rightly colored flash, but guess i could check it the way you siad. I remeber once seeing a mutator with a upgradable linkgun, anyonw know it's name?!

This mutator used different colored beams and shots - so maybe i could reverse-engenier it from that point!

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
the mutator was called...... upgradable linkgun :)

And when you say you've changed the colour, you mean the colour of the firing effects? Rather than the skin of the weapon itself?

LupusStudios

Jun 16, 2003
Yep that's what i mean... THe flashes of light that it shoots out... In the texture files there is both red, yellow, blue and green! Does anyone have a clue how to do this?

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
You'll never learn if people have to keep telling you what to do. Try things first and experiment with the code - come here after you've tried it first and are stuck.

As for the question - you'll want to look at the LinkProjectile class; try adding a new skin to the default properties like this:

Code:
Skins(0)=FinalBlend'XEffectMat.Link.NewTexture'

The link proj texture is a final blend material which is why I put that in the skin, change it to Texture, Shader, or whatever the material is that you decide to use.

LupusStudios

Jun 16, 2003
Trust me i only asks when i have given up - and i tries everything including what you just told me and it didn't work! But now i have deleted the file so i guess i'll try it from the bottom...

Anyway, thanks for helping me out!

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
Go through all the link gun scripts and find all references to the green link projectile texture. Change them to the yellow version or whatever you want to use. There are quite a few references to the texture :) I haven't edited the link gun really (I replaced it totally with a new weapon) but that should work.

LupusStudios

Jun 16, 2003
Ok... I have gun trough all the code and it seems that these Final Blend textures really is sorta of folder that holds another texture. This wouldn't matter much to me if it wasn't for the simple fact that there is only a yellow and a green package and no way of making a new one...

If have changed it so that the hitlocation sparks are red, and one (it seems) out of two bolts fired by clicking is red! But the main bolt is still green and i have changed everything!

If i upload it would soemone please have a look at it?

I guess my problem really is that i can't link :