PDA

View Full Version : Importance of using teamspeak

TWD
21st Jun 2003, 01:39 AM
Remember fragbu goers we have a teamspeak server set up for the games. I think that using teamspeak is a very big part of having fun at fragbu. We have nice discussions over teamspeak while playing, and it makes taunting easier. Plus if you want to get good teamwork going your going to need some voice chat. We were playing on romra today against rev and they were totally beating us. Luckily me hanover and thrawn were all on the teamspeak and so we were able to co-ordinate and win one of the funnest matches I've ever played.

So if you haven't been using teamspeak you've been missing out on some good fun.

Info in signature.

hal
21st Jun 2003, 02:27 AM
That's great if you can shout at each other while you play, but I've got a five week old sleeping in the house and FragBU is pretty late.

That, and I'm not sure I want to hear some of your voices. :D

Sir_Brizz
21st Jun 2003, 03:05 AM
if you buy a USB boom you can send all voice stuff to the headphones and boom like I did. It is nice because I don't hear the voices interrupting the sounds of the game. It only costed me $34.99 for a Telex pair.

Renegade Retard
21st Jun 2003, 10:15 AM
That, and I'm not sure I want to hear some of your voices. :D

Voice of Karl from Slingblade= TWD :D

I'm a HUGE advocate of TS and would love to use it more often, but I've been having lots of connection problems the past month or so, so I'm trying to save every dime of bandwidth just to play.

But yes, playing while on Teamspeak so a blast!

Hanover_Fist
21st Jun 2003, 10:44 AM
Voice of Karl from Slingblade= TWD :D

I'd say TWD's more of a Ralph Wiggam.

Hanover_Fist
21st Jun 2003, 12:46 PM
That's great if you can shout at each other while you play, .......That, and I'm not sure I want to hear some of your voices. :D

I've not heard any yelling or profanity yet, lots of laughter though....

I'll describe the voices to give you a heads up.

DaBeatard, a cross between NewYorker and Boston...
Rev. = Barry White

Everyone else sounds the same, nobody can tell who's who.

Whenever someone joins TS a feminine voice says "new player", and someone on the channels says "who's that?", then someone says "me!".....and then someone says who's "me"?.....No me's on second, who's on first......That's what i'm asking.....who's on first......right, who's on first......

TWD
21st Jun 2003, 01:34 PM
I can tell the difference between everyone's voice especally hanover, it takes time though. Higher codec helps too. I usually idle all day in the TWD channel so try going there when you connect. Woudln't reccomend it for gaming though unless you got bandwith to spare.

Rev.Whoopass
21st Jun 2003, 02:11 PM
I've not heard any yelling or profanity yet, lots of laughter though....

DaBeatard, a cross between NewYorker and Boston...
Rev. = Barry White

C'mon now hal,I can whisper sweet nothings to you.

WebSlinger
21st Jun 2003, 02:56 PM
I've got a five week old sleeping in the house
I had no idea! That's awesome! Congrats!! :tup:

You do mean that the 5 week old is your child, right?

TWD
21st Jun 2003, 02:58 PM
I created a BuF Chat channel with the largest 25.9 codec. You can use that for simple chat during the day then use the BuF CTF one for when you are ingame.

Renegade Retard
21st Jun 2003, 03:01 PM
You do mean that the 5 week old is your child, right?

LOL!

Congrat hal!

If you've not used TS before for FargBU (*cough* Webby), I REALLY encourage you too. There's a lot of laughs, it greatly increases the fun factor, and you get great teamwork.

And I'd suggest going to WallyWorld (walmart) and getting a cheap $15 headset with mic.

Harlock
22nd Jun 2003, 01:16 PM
TWD, why not use ventrilo2. It has better sound quality, better codec compatibility. And Vent is downrigth seksi.

Sir_Brizz
22nd Jun 2003, 04:58 PM
someone needs to record during frag bu! That conversation with Flame not knowing if I was on or not was SOOOOOOO freaking hilarious! :)

Rev.Whoopass
22nd Jun 2003, 05:02 PM
I will do the record next weekend.

Assymilator
23rd Jun 2003, 01:00 AM
Our clan uses Ventrilo because it uses less bandwidth, and you all know how important that is. It also sounds better.

TWD
23rd Jun 2003, 02:08 PM
First off to scumgrief's question: as soon as the teamspeak server gets online I'm in there.

As to ventrillo: I very much like ventrilo. It has much better qualilty. I have not tried the new 2.0 version. I think one of the major reason we used teamspeak was that ventrillo used up too much bandwith for modem players. If you can get ventrillo to use a codec that is less than 5.6k then I would really like to see a switch. Of course we need to take one step at a time. We used teamspeak a lot and then we made all these changes and it seems like everyone stopped using it. I think this was because we made so many changes so fast few kept up with it. If we're going to move to ventrillo first we need a server. Then we can go from there.

Hanover_Fist
23rd Jun 2003, 02:27 PM
BTW#2 - when you get online & load UT2003, do you always load TS first in case someone logs on? Or, do you load TS, check it, and if no one is there, close it? Do you load TS at all, or just sporadically? Do you find it a better practice to find someone playing first and in-game say "Hey, get on TS!" ??

I only get on when someone tells me to.

I always get on during FragBU but until this weekend it wasn't being used all that much.

Interest was starting to wain a little.......

But this weekends FragBU was the best yet. IMO.

I haven't had that much gaming fun in a long time, we played Maul and nobody even cared about the flags, just goofin off the whole time.

Renegade Retard
23rd Jun 2003, 02:46 PM
I don't know what it is, but I have the hardest time the The Mothership with my connection. I'd LOVE to be back on TS every Friday, but I can barely stay in the game as it is.

In contrast - I don't have nearly the problems on pubs. I played for about 2 1/2 hrs. last night without getting booted out of the server, and my ping never really got about 350.

There again, it may just be the Friday night traffic.

TWD
23rd Jun 2003, 03:36 PM
I need somebody to test out ventrilo with me. I have this firewall so I can't make a server so I need somebody with a cable connection or something like that. If you think you can set up the server and such send me a PM through msn or whatever, or go into irc and say my name.