Surgery

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
I'm leaving in a few minutes to undergo surgery on my right big toe, my toenail is severely ingrown and infected, and the best course of action is to remove the nail entirely. Fun. Two weeks after this, the other big toe is to undergo the same procedure. It's gonna be weird not having toenails. :D

And I'll take pics and PM them to those who might want to see. Wish me luck kiddies. :)

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
why PM then, are you shy? ;)
anyway i remember a few years ago having my toe nail ingrowing. my doctor simply took his scalpel and cut a small part of the nail and the toe. there is no word to describe the pain :D
but it went well after that, just remember to cut them often.

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
The nail of a finger once fell off... it hurt.
I had the danger of an ingrown toenail twice, both times after 2 weeks of pain everything turned back normal.

Good luck. Do you get to keep your toenail or something? They threw my nail right in the thrashcan :(

Nightmare

Only human
Sep 23, 2001
Finland
Visit site
Been there, done that. With both big toes. Although I didn't need to lose all of the nail, only a slice from the ingrown side. And then a short antibiotics cure for the infection.

You'll feel much happier in a few days :D

DeMachina

gone
Sep 1, 2001
Québec,Canada
I had something similar, but they didn't need to completely remove them. Two small slice on both bigtoe (with a small cut to the skin to reach it) and I was fine... Then again, one side of my left foot's toenail now grow verticaly :hmm:

Last edited:

Harry_C

Getting old ... and drunk
Apr 2, 2001
France
Visit site
Had an ingrown toenail too.
It hurts especially when the infection transform it into a giant green/yellow/purple bubo
Had surgery 6 times through the years, now my toe is kinda weird looking. :D

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
I had my history of ingrowen toenails... oh yes...

And I lost both toenails once. I was hiking with shoes that didn't realy fit and on my way back (=down) my toes hit the front of my shoes houndreds of times resulting in blue spots under the nails. It hurt. And everyone and his dog (literarily!) seemed to happily step on my feet that evening. So in the end they weren't connected to my toes anymore. The pain I expected couse of the clumsyness of other people was so much and the feeling so strange that I attached them loosely to my toes with duct tape till the new nails growed under them. No, I'm not kidding. Yes, I was young.

Last edited:

Hadmar

Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Actualy cutting them wrong will do the exact opposite of wat you want. That was the reason for my problem. To long nails don't grow in couse there's nothing they could grow into exept for your socks. ;)

Welp, I'm back, minus a toenail. The whole procedure went as so:

OMFG SPOILERS. DONT READ IF YOU'RE SQUEAMISH!

Numb area. Surface novacaine plus **FOUR GOD DAMN INJECTIONS WITH A BIG ASS NEEDLE. OW. Hey... I dont feel it now... funky.

Begin slicing large growth formed from infection. Ow... stop tugging on my foot.

Cut into sides of nail.

Cut under toenail.

Cut into nail bed.

Lift nail.

Burn nail root with silver nitrate.

Wrap with two square miles of gauze and medical tape.

Smile and tell patient everything is peachy, and leave before said patient can stab you repeatedly with syringe.

** = I had so much infection in my toe, the doc couldnt push the plunger all the way in to inject my toe.)
A good hour later, I got my extra strength pain pills, which are a narcotic of some sort, and after taking those, I simply fell asleep.

I go in for a checkup next week, and possibly have the other nail removed two weeks from now.

In closing: AHHHHHHH SH!T MY TOE FÜCKING HURTS GOD DAMN. Take care of your feet kids. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go pass out.

Toodles.

Hadmar

Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Not that I'm a doc or anything but out of my owen painfull experience:
Green: OK
Orange: If you cut there cut roundly, don't let there be an edge. (i.e. on the pic I is better then II)
Red: Big no. If you have to then watch out for edges even more.

Depending on the shape of your nails you won't feel it's nessesary or even won't be able to cut in the red or orange area. It realy depends on your toe.

Attachments

• Img57A_colored.jpg.png
    Img57A_colored.jpg.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 53