PDA

View Full Version : Unreal II 'Lincoln' Update

RaptoR
19th Jun 2003, 06:37 PM
After enquiring about this cryptic thread on the Atari Unreal II forums, Legend Entertainment's Scott Dalton gave us the following, equally cryptic reply.

I'm not at liberty to discuss what pleases or displeases Lincoln. I was simply stating that he is pleased - nothing more, nothing less.

I ask that you contact Atari regarding any possible XBox version of Unreal 2, it certainly wouldn't be in Lincoln's domain.

Scott
Personal Trainer to Lincoln
Recommended by LevelLord
Nonsensical Hysteria Department
Cryptic Statement Division

So, just who or what is 'Lincoln'. Firstly, one Unreal II's Seagoats says "Lincoln will be pleased" when you activate one of Unreal II's many hidden 'Easter Egg' features. The former US president also makes an appearence in an Easter Egg in the first Atlantis-based level in Unreal II.

The most interesting part of the 'Lincoln' saga lies in the attachments that Scott sneaked into the email that he sent us here at BeyondUnreal.

Picture of Abraham Lincoln in an episode of Star Trek (original series)
Sound clip from the same episode -- "...delightful to discover at my age that I can still wrestle"

What does all this mean? Is Lincoln the codename of an upcoming add-on pack (even possibly multiplayer?!) for Unreal II? This is all speculation, of course, and we'll keep you updated on any more posts from Mr. Cryptic himself as they appear! It certainly appears less likely now that 'Lincoln' and the whole 'Prepare' forum post have anything to do with Unreal II for the Xbox.

In the meantime, hit this forum thread and tell us what you think!

Selerox
19th Jun 2003, 07:04 PM
Weirder and weirder... :confused:

Nice intriguing story though :-)

Rocket_Magnet
19th Jun 2003, 07:13 PM
c'mon! wrestle, i thought that gave it away

Thrawn70
19th Jun 2003, 07:29 PM
Now this is interesting publicity.

Githianki
19th Jun 2003, 07:41 PM
Wasn't there some lincoln head easter egg in Return to Na Pali? or was that one of the SP levels someone made?

As I recall there was a stair up the left side of a hall, and there was a tapestry (or just blank wall) just to the right of the top of the stairs and perpendicular to the stairs. Behind a fakeness or whatever there was an image of lincoln. I think...

I also recall there being rats that had originally been programmed to eat dead players etc. but they were cut to normal rats on release. Was that Na Pali or WoT?

Some other Unreal game nut out there must know what I am talking about :).

[Totally whack theory: Retro Trek and wall lincoln (if I remembered right) point to a Unreal 2 powered Return to Na Pali 2 game or level pack. How great would the Nali homeworld look under the new tech? Kick ass right?]

GringoLoco
19th Jun 2003, 08:07 PM
yeah!

BangOut
19th Jun 2003, 08:50 PM
MP might make U2 worth at least $15, instead of a $5 engine demo disc

Captain Kewl
19th Jun 2003, 10:36 PM
You're all a bunch of morons. It's obviously an Abraham Lincoln space wrestling addon.

Curve[UK]
20th Jun 2003, 05:08 AM
lol its very confusing but i guess thats what makes it fun.

Ferd
20th Jun 2003, 07:48 AM
Maybe it's an American "patriotic addon" for the July 4th.

TossMonkey
20th Jun 2003, 09:11 AM
maybe it's scott dalton playing a really nasty joke on everyone.

Thrawn70
20th Jun 2003, 09:31 AM
Wait, Lincoln wrestling and UT2003's wrestling-themed intro...... :( I'm confused.

Toolvana
20th Jun 2003, 01:03 PM
Maybe it's a free mod that let's the player reenact Lincoln's untimely demise?

Thrawn70
20th Jun 2003, 01:46 PM
I don't think Lincoln would be "pleased" to undergo that experience an infinate number of times again. ;)

Atouk
20th Jun 2003, 02:41 PM
It's a Five buck off a coupon to the Unreal ""Movie"" when you buy Unreal II-.....Escape from.....

"Get the F**k outa here, did he say a movie!" About UNREAL! "And five bucks off the ticket to boot!"

... Napali.

:eek:

Oh... and there wrestling with Shatner's ... [from Star Trek]... agent about playing a role in the ""Movie"......

RaptoR
20th Jun 2003, 06:42 PM
Quote from post-release BU interview with Glen Dahlgren -- http://www.beyondunreal.com/content/articles/36_1.php

BU: What are you most happy with in the finished product? What would you have wanted added or improved upon?

Glen: I think we succeeded admirably on a lot of fronts. Unreal II indisputably pushes the graphics envelope. The game also delivers significantly more character development than you'd traditionally find in a FPS. And we packed in a fair amount of game play variety, including the highly praised defend missions. On the flip side, I found the loss of multiplayer to be particularly significant. I'm hoping we can revisit that aspect of the game at some point, in some form.

Interesting ;)

Balton
20th Jun 2003, 07:10 PM
I think we punch scott a few times till he "realises on his own" that being cryptic in his position was a stupid idea!

Imaginos
21st Jun 2003, 03:24 PM
Multiplayer would certainly be nice. I can't see it being adapted to the released part of the existing storyline. Gotta be something else... A hunt the Lincoln gametype? Everyone spawns as John Wilkes Booths... Hmm.. no... Don't think that is it.

I recall one map from the leaked U2 that featured deathmatch in an asteroid field? As much as I'd love to see that one, I do hope they have the sense to leave the UT/UT2003 gamestyle multiplayer to the current platforms and press on with mission packs instead.