PDA

View Full Version : Review: WolfPack

ModSquad NewsPoster
17th Jun 2003, 05:38 PM
[ Transcript of review for WolfPack (http://modsquad.beyondunreal.com/review.php?id=118) | Posted by Doobin on 2003-04-23 | Score: 7 ]
OK. First of all, I tell a lie. This mod is not called WolfPack. In fact, it isn't called anything. As far as I can see, it doesn't have a name. Though since it's made by some bloke called CWolf, and since it's a collection of mutators, I thought I'd try to be clever and call it the WolfPack.

WolfPack contains 6 different mutators- Damage Scaling Match, Extended Damage Scaling, Redeeming Rifle, Redeeming Rifle Arena, Variable Bot Behaviour, and Instant Death.

Damage Scaling is where your damage multiplicator rises every time you kill somebody, as if you picked up a Damage Amplifier. Once you've killed 40 times consecutively, you deal 16 times the normal damage! If you die, your damage is reset to normal, though. And if you kill someone who's damage rating has been upgraded, you receive health according to your enemies level, up to 300 health.
One bug I did notice is that when you pick up the Damage Amp, your damage rating is reset.
Enhanced Damage is the same, but as you kill more, you become faster and more agile as well. With 40 kills under your belt (16x damage!), and a Pulsegun, your opponents won't stand a chance!

Both these mutators work reasonably well- not many complaints there, but aren't the players who are doing well also the one's who need the least help? Well, I guess it wasn't supposed to be an equaliser mod. And slaughtering the bots is fun, especially if you've had a bad day. So, anyways, on to the next mutator: the Redeeming Rifle. As the name suggests, this is a cross between the shock rifle and the redeemer, replacing the Shock Rifle. Simply shoot the rifle's secondary fire with the Primary Fire to activate a redeemer-style blast, destroying everything within a sizeable area. Of course, with this amount of firepower readily availiable, it does tend to unbalance the game. Luckily, CWolf has included a Redeeming Rifle Arena mutator to allow you to enjoy the Redeeming Rifle without creating an imbalance.

Next we have Variable Bot Behaviour. Not a lot to say about this one- basically, it causes the bots you slaughter regularly to smarten up and play more cautiously, and the bots who slaughter you regularly to 'dumb down'- they become more agressive and less alert (think Quake 3 bots!) This levels the playing field a bit, but who wants the bots to be all the same?

Lastly, we have the Instant Death mutator. One hit kills, self-inflicated damage, lava/acid damage and fall damage don't count. Well, what's the point? Actually, if you use the mutator plus an Arena mutator, you end up with an Instagib arena match with the weapon of your choice.

Well, what to say? Bottom line: these mutators work, but some may question their usefullness. I guess in the end, it's up to you. At least download them and give them a go.

-Doobin