PDA

View Full Version : Using an Automatic Transmission as a Manual

Twisted Metal
15th Jun 2003, 09:42 PM
Ok this is probably a stupid question, but is it safe to use an automatic transmission as a manual(when accelerating)? Meaning can I start at "1" and then switch to "2" and then switch to "Drive"? Or will that just feck up my transmission?

Raffi_B
15th Jun 2003, 10:08 PM
trying to look like a car stud in front of the ladies eh? :p im not sure but i guess it would be ok... someone can affirm me on this

Twisted Metal
15th Jun 2003, 10:10 PM
trying to look like a car stud in front of the ladies eh? :p im not sure but i guess it would be ok... someone can affirm me on this

lol nah I'm just curious

alien8
15th Jun 2003, 11:03 PM
You can do it, but it's not the best thing to do to your tranny - if it spends too much time at a higher-than-normal RPM, it'll overheat a helluva lot faster than a standard tranny would.

thewalkingman
15th Jun 2003, 11:04 PM
silliest thing I ever seen done to an automobile

BlAcK_PlAgUe22
15th Jun 2003, 11:06 PM
I've been wondering about this too.

You can do it, but it's not the best thing to do to your tranny - if it spends too much time at a higher-than-normal RPM, it'll overheat a helluva lot faster than a standard tranny would.

What exactly is your definition of "too much time"?

What about downshifting? IE: From D to 2? :p

alien8
15th Jun 2003, 11:15 PM
Too much time is anything longer than what the tranny would have normally shifted on its own.

I guess what I'm saying is, just don't drive like that every time you get in a vehicle - you aren't getting any performance bonus out of it, and it's a big pain in the butt to do. With an auto tranny, it'll always shift up depending on how hard you are driving it - if you are pinning the vehicle everywhere you go, it'll let the engine spin up to redline before it shifts...

I guess it's just the fact that I've always laughed at people who did it that I'm so against it. There just isn't any good reason to do it.

Shifting down? Yeah, I used to do that a lot. It does help wear and tear on your brakes, and is also good if you drive a lot of steep downgrades.

I guess it just comes down to the fact that if you wanna be the master of your transmission, just drive a standard ;)

BlAcK_PlAgUe22
15th Jun 2003, 11:24 PM
So in other words, only do it when I'm feeling frisky? ;)

alien8
15th Jun 2003, 11:28 PM
Yes :D

Twisted Metal
15th Jun 2003, 11:32 PM
Shifting down? Yeah, I used to do that a lot. It does help wear and tear on your brakes, and is also good if you drive a lot of steep downgrades.

On an automatic? Do you recommend it?

And should I downshift just from Drive to 2, or from Drive to 2 to 1 ?

lol and I know this is pathetic sh*t, but I wanna shift dammit!!! :D

alien8
15th Jun 2003, 11:39 PM
It's not bad - I only ever did it to drop my old car out of overdrive and into drive, as I was slowing from highway speeds to freeway speeds going into a city. I wouldn't recommend doing it if you only have a three speed auto.

Naw, it's not pathetic - everybody wants to have fun with their vehicle :)

BlAcK_PlAgUe22
15th Jun 2003, 11:42 PM
3 speed, as in a 4 speed auto, with the 4th gear overdrive?

Twisted Metal
15th Jun 2003, 11:46 PM
What is overdrive anyway? I know my car is a 4 speed, and it has an electronic switch for overdrive(which I leave ON). The manual says to keep the car in overdrive for normal everyday driving... Also if I turn overdrive off, a light will come up on the instrument cluster indicating that it is off. What does it do though?

alien8
15th Jun 2003, 11:51 PM
Overdrive just drops the vehicle into a higher gear - it's great for highway use, or for better mileage.

Feel free to turn it off when you are in town - it's perfectly safe to drive w/o overdrive turned on, and it'll make your tranny a little more responsive in the city - it won't have to kickdown every time you wanna accelerate.

BlAcK_PlAgUe22
16th Jun 2003, 12:00 AM
Yeah... I turn OD off when I leave school. (It takes me 15 minutes to get from where I parked to the enterance of school. :rolleyes: )

Amanda
16th Jun 2003, 01:57 AM
You should start out in drive with an automatic, unless you have to drive up a hill, then 1 or 2 would be okay.

BlAcK_PlAgUe22
16th Jun 2003, 02:04 AM
I hear also 2nd gear is good for use in snowy places.

Amanda
16th Jun 2003, 03:11 AM
Yes it is. I had to use 2nd gear for when it was icey in Arkansas and I was driving on mountains.

PainAmplifier
16th Jun 2003, 03:23 AM
Ok this is probably a stupid question, but is it safe to use an automatic transmission as a manual(when accelerating)? Meaning can I start at "1" and then switch to "2" and then switch to "Drive"? Or will that just feck up my transmission?

Short answer: Yes you can, and no it doesn't hurt your transmission. For the most part however doing more than D<->OD is silly and just makes you look lame.

Long Answer: Automatics are really not much different functionally that a manual transmission, it's just all the auto gear switching stuff that makes it very complex. (I'll ignore the hybrid auto-manual sportronic tranmissions...) But what you want to do is think of an automatic as a bike with two sets of gears. One on the pedals, and the other on the rear tire. (A manual would only have one set on the rear tire.) While driving, the automatic will change the rear gears for you never touching the front gear. Selecting 1/2/D/OD is the equivelent of you changing the front gear manually. So you select 1/2 when your vehicle is loaded or pulling a load, and then switch up to D when you reach speed on a highway and back down when you come to a stop. (Going to OD with a load would put excessive wear on your transmission and should be avoided. And if you don't reach highway speeds, just leave it in 1/2 gear to keep the strain off the transmission also when loaded.)

Think of it this way:
1 = High Torque Low RPMS
2 = Mid Torque Mid RPMS
D = Normal Torque Normal RPMS
OD = Low Torque High RPMS

(Torque = Power, and RPMS = Speed) (An FYI if the terms are unfamiliar.)
:-)

DedMeat
16th Jun 2003, 03:52 AM
What you need is one of these...tiptronic gives you the best of both worlds :)

Selerox
16th Jun 2003, 05:46 AM
Or alternativly, you could stop being a wuss and drive a manual ;)

Zarkazm
16th Jun 2003, 05:54 AM
:D

Lizard Of Oz
16th Jun 2003, 07:20 AM
Using a Auto tranny as a manual.

It will help acceleration because you can shift later than the auto is tuned for. But, rev'ing the engine beyond a certain point is.... well, pointless. The power curve does not necessarily rise with RPM. In fact, beyond a certain point, which COULD be well below the redline, the power may actually drop. It varies from engine to engine.

If the car feels like it's not pulling anymore, and you still have not hit the redline...up shift.

See the fictitious power-band example below.

This will also cause your tranny to run hotter which ultimately will reduce its life and the life of the tranny fluid. This will also increase wear & tear on the engine because you'll be rev'ing it higher than normal.

Lewis
16th Jun 2003, 12:26 PM
lol sel thats true... before i started driving lessons in october last year, i was ****ting myself about the gears cos it all seemed complicated. now its a natural habit and something that i enjoy doing on the 60mph limit roads... got my retest on thursday so i should be able to go 70 if i pass which i hope

Zxanphorian
16th Jun 2003, 12:42 PM
You should start out in drive with an automatic, unless you have to drive up a hill, then 1 or 2 would be okay.
I dissagree. My brother started out driving a manual and he didn't have any trouble with it. Now he has his temporary junior license. When i begin driving, in about 2 years, one month, i will start with a maunal. I think adjusting from a manual to an automatic is easier than adjusting from an automatic to a maunual.

L_S
16th Jun 2003, 12:43 PM

With a beer in one hand and my d1ck in the other it's hard enough to steer, let alone shift! I'll stick to my automatic thank you!

alien8
16th Jun 2003, 12:47 PM
All the lesbians in the back seat doesn't help the concentration either, does it L_S?

Good to see you bud.

Zarkazm
16th Jun 2003, 12:50 PM
I think adjusting from a manual to an automatic is easier than adjusting from an automatic to a maunual.
I believe what Amanda meant was that when using an automatic, you should start driving in "Drive" setting.

Zxanphorian
16th Jun 2003, 12:53 PM
I believe what Amanda meant was that when using an automatic, you should start driving in "Drive" setting.
Thanks, i must have read it wrong, i thought that she said "start driving with an automatic, not start in drive in an automatic. My bad :(

Rukee
16th Jun 2003, 12:59 PM
Short answer: Yes you can, and no it doesn't hurt your transmission. For the most part however doing more than D<->OD is silly and just makes you look lame.

Long Answer: Automatics are really not much different functionally that a manual transmission, it's just all the auto gear switching stuff that makes it very complex. (I'll ignore the hybrid auto-manual sportronic tranmissions...) But what you want to do is think of an automatic as a bike with two sets of gears. One on the pedals, and the other on the rear tire. (A manual would only have one set on the rear tire.) While driving, the automatic will change the rear gears for you never touching the front gear. Selecting 1/2/D/OD is the equivelent of you changing the front gear manually. So you select 1/2 when your vehicle is loaded or pulling a load, and then switch up to D when you reach speed on a highway and back down when you come to a stop. (Going to OD with a load would put excessive wear on your transmission and should be avoided. And if you don't reach highway speeds, just leave it in 1/2 gear to keep the strain off the transmission also when loaded.)

Think of it this way:
1 = High Torque Low RPMS
2 = Mid Torque Mid RPMS
D = Normal Torque Normal RPMS
OD = Low Torque High RPMS

(Torque = Power, and RPMS = Speed) (An FYI if the terms are unfamiliar.)
:-)
LMAO @ this!! :lol:
an auto tranny on the inside is nothing like a manual tranny at all, and it`s nothing like shifting gears on the front and back of a 10-speed bike!! :p
OD for the most part and in most cars and trucks will lock up the tourqe convertor, that locking up, or the stopping of the normal viscus(sp?) action going on inside gives the feeling of shifting another gear.
Some old `50s Caddys had trannys with lock-up convertors, hot-rodders loved them as all the guts of a turbo 400 dropped right in the case. And then hook up the lock-up wire to a button on the dash or councle, pushing the button was like side stepping the clutch peddel! :)
For the most part you can shift your auto tranny manualy and not hurt it. Most will over ride the shifter if left in low or first too long and actualy shift to second even if you don`t shift. There too, most will not downshift if you are going to fast, yes they will go from D to 2, but most will not go into 1 untill you slow down to a point the tranny will allow it.
Driving an auto tranny like a nut in manual mode will heat it up, but it should be able to....well, on second thought, .....if the tranny falls out the bottom of the car while your jurking the gear shifter around......you migh be pushing it too far!! :p
Get a tranny cooler if you do plan on beating on the tranny.
I`ve built a few drag cars with auto trannys and found if you put a shift kit in the tranny and just leave the shifter in drive, mash the gas to the floor and just let the tranny do what it`s suppost to, it goes about the fastest it will ever go.
If you feel you realy want to shift....and must all the time...trade your car off for a stick shift. :tup:

Rukee
16th Jun 2003, 01:00 PM
Yes, but remember, put it in "R" for 'race' ;)

Clayeth
16th Jun 2003, 01:03 PM
If I'm not mistaken there can even be some differences in pressures, etc. with the different settings on an automatic. But mainly all they do is not let the car go above that gear, doesn't mean that it will shift when you move it from 1 to 2, unless you're past the normal shift point.

Amanda
16th Jun 2003, 01:24 PM
Thanks Zarcazm for clarifying that for me. That is what I meant.

Battosai
16th Jun 2003, 01:45 PM
I would have to agree with the Rukee. Cause he knows his stuff about cars. Shiftkits are nice for and auto and usally cheap to have installed. And they will give you the most out off your auto tran. But there is nothing better than a manual+short throw. :)

PainAmplifier
16th Jun 2003, 02:14 PM
LMAO @ this!! :lol:
an auto tranny on the inside is nothing like a manual tranny at all, and it`s nothing like shifting gears on the front and back of a 10-speed bike!!

You really need to stop taking things so literally. I never said that they were mechanically the same, I said said they were functionally the same. In short I said that they act in a way that the given explanation would illustrate when and why to shift without wearing out your transmission . It does NOT mean that my explanation should be taken as an actual explanation of how the transmission works.
:stick: