***OFFICIAL Infiltration 2.9 Release Discussion Thread, v2***

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
Welcome to the Official Infiltration 2.9 Release Discussion Thread! Please, focus all of your Infiltration 2.9 release discussion here. Until the release of 2.9, all posts regarding 2.9 will be either closed or merged with this thread. Thanks!

Infiltration 2.9 Quick Fun Facts

I N F I L T R A T I O N _ 2 . 9
Release Date: When it's done
Release Candidate Number: RC2
2.9 Base Install Size: Approximately 120 megs
2.9 Upgrade: There will be no 2.86->2.9 upgrade.
EAS Mappack Size: 320 megs
Full 2.9 install size (excluding DSMP): 450 megs
EAS Mappack Number of Maps: "About 22 maps"

I N F I L T R A T I O N _ 2 . 9 _ C D
The infiltration 2.9 CD is available through DaddyBone's company, theOnlineGaming.com. What you are buying is the service of having the files pressed to a CD and shipped to you. If you have problems with your order, or want to change your order, mail daddybone@sentrystudios.net .

D E S E R T _ S T O R M _ M A P P A C K
Desert Storm Mappack Release Date: Alongside 2.9
Desert Storm Mappack Size: "Roughly 100 megs"
Desert Storm Mappack Number of Maps: "About 22 maps"

Last edited:

Degree

Mafia Freak
Dec 2, 2000
Finland, Europe
koti.mbnet.fi
1) What's the size of DS map pack? I remember everyting (DS maps + official INF maps + INF 2.9) would be something around 350 megs?

2) How many new maps are coming with INF 2.9 and DC Map Pack?

Last edited:

erehwoN

The Bass Ackwards BTL
May 30, 2001
Wyoming, USA
Visit site
Okay, I've been authorized to answer your questions, so here ya go.

The DS pack is roughly 100 megs, and includes about 22 maps (some of which are day/night or Small/Large versions of the same thing).
The size of RC2, which included everything but the DS pack, was about 450 megs. There are also about 22 new EAS maps in 2.9, but maps that went with 2.86 are also included in the full install.

And Keg, a few corrections to your info... currently we aren't at RC3 yet and the 2.9 mappack is about 320 megs.

Edit: There's a thread showing off the DS pack here.

Last edited:

jasdave

Mar 16, 2002
Visit site
Keganator said:
EAS Mappack Size: ~200 megs

So the eas maps are the only maps to be released in a separate map pack while the other maps will be released with the full install package?
Sorry- but I am curious. :)

Last edited:

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
currently we aren't at RC3 yet

Huh ?
after reading some posts in the lost forum and the news in INF site , i was certain that RC2 was history now but maybe my memory was disturbed by too much drinking or my anticipation is a little too quick to assume facts

So any date when the compiling of RC3 or the testing of RC3 will begin ? (as i dont dare to ask a possible date for the release now that i hear RC3 does not exist yet)

Last edited:

DamienW

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir
Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
RC2 is history for long. However, the very reason it's history is because it had bugs in it. Thereofre, several beta versions had to be made to create a new RC. The said RC3 is now almost ready. I hope that cleared the confusion ;)

Degree

Mafia Freak
Dec 2, 2000
Finland, Europe
koti.mbnet.fi
erehwoN said:
The size of RC2, which included everything but the DS pack, was about 450 megs. There are also about 22 new EAS maps in 2.9, but maps that went with 2.86 are also included in the full install.
So TOTAL size for INF+DS is 550 megs? Quite huge. :)

Oh sh1z! 44 new maps (day-night/small-large versions counted in) to learn! :eek:

One more question: When can we see the full map list (hopefully with screenshot of each map like in the DS preview thread)?

Last edited:

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
Oh , it seems i was confused by all the terms used here

So there are -beta release candidate- , and when it is no longer -beta release candidate- -> it transforms into -release candidate- (the -beta- prefix disapear) until now i can understand.

But at this point, so what is the real difference between the -release candidate- and the -gold- version if there are -beta release candidate- despite there is no -beta- anymore , what made a -beta release candidate- becoming a -release candidate- ?

This is more and more confusing than previously in my certainly drunken mind (now i have no dout about this ;) )
So what exactly is the difference according to the INF team between a -beta- , a -beta release candidate- and a -release candidate- , and finally the gold version in sentry studios terms ?

If i succeed to understand the explanations between all those step , i will stop drinking i think.
If it was clearly stated "we are back in beta status between 2 release candidate" , it will certainly be easier for me to understand, but the "no beta status anymore" plus the introduction of the "beta release candidate" now really throw me away from the understanding path

Thanks for any courageous people that will try to explain this to me :)

Last edited:

Ice

Apr 11, 2002
Visit site
A beta has new features being added
A release canidadate is being tweaked for release, squashing bugs and no new features
Gold is going out tomorrow

There is no such thing as a beta release canidate, as it is mostly a contradictory phrase.

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
Angry Ice said:
A beta has new features being added
A release canidadate is being tweaked for release, squashing bugs and no new features
Gold is going out tomorrow

There is no such thing as a beta release canidate, as it is mostly a contradictory phrase.

that is at this precise point i was lost
I thought that a RC was tested , and when bugs from tested RC were fixed --> dev team make a new RC and begin the test to see if there are no new bugs
And if there are no new bug --> Gold version , ready to be released "when its done"

But as Max Sterling confirmed that RC2 was history for long and begin to talk about several beta to obtain RC3 , i was more confused than previously

So in that case why made a beta between 2 RC ?
Is it not the purpose of a RC to be tested untill all bugs are found or has RC another meaning than i thought ?

Ice

Apr 11, 2002
Visit site
When at the RC stage, several betas are made to hammer out details until they get to the "OMFG NO BUGS" stage. When there, they call it RC 3 and test it to death to double check.

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
Ok , i begin to get it , thanks for the clarifications
So the RC is like a tool to double check if the bug-free beta is really bug-free ;)

/note for myself : need to stop drinking

erehwoN

The Bass Ackwards BTL
May 30, 2001
Wyoming, USA
Visit site
Here's how it goes: If the code & maps are at a level to be considered for release, a release candidate is put together. This is a full install which includes everything. We test that, and find bugs. Then Beppo puts together a beta to fix those. Since these betas are usually under 8 megs, it would be rediculus to make another whole install. So, once the code & maps are again thought to be release worthy, another RC is compiled. If there are bugs found, then betas are put together to fix the problems. Keep repeating this cycle until no issues are found and it is sent to the presses.

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
I knew that i will get it one day

Thanks to you 2 for saving a confused mind from oblivion ;)

Even if it was obvious for you , it is interesting for me , as i have now more info on what is going on during a game development

AlmostAlive

Jun 12, 2001
Norway
Visit site
Degree said:
One more question: When can we see the full map list (hopefully with screenshot of each map like in the DS preview thread)?

Your best bet for screenshots is the beta log. It has also been stated earlier that there are some nice surprises in the map pack, so a complete map list will most likely be available the same day 2.9 is released. It wouldn't be a surprise if you got the complete list now, would it? :)

Degree

Mafia Freak
Dec 2, 2000
Finland, Europe
koti.mbnet.fi
Almost said:
Your best bet for screenshots is the beta log. It has also been stated earlier that there are some nice surprises in the map pack, so a complete map list will most likely be available the same day 2.9 is released. It wouldn't be a surprise if you got the complete list now, would it? :)
Mmm, surprises? Sounds interesting... :)