PDA

View Full Version : BeyondUnreal ut2003 video

TWD
14th Jun 2003, 02:51 PM
We're going to make a video. Take demos then use fraps to turn the best shots into small video clips and then put it all together into a cool video.

So start taking demos of fragbu's and other places where you get nice shots so you can get yourself into the vid.

The last thread got killed due to the great forum crash of June 03 but whatever. So recap. We need to get an ftp or some other way of exchanging the files around. Most demos are too big to post here and small video clips will definatly be too big to put here.

Shuriken
14th Jun 2003, 04:05 PM
Do they have to be vids of us, or can they just be of complete strangers and we take demos? :)

janiwashere
14th Jun 2003, 04:22 PM
So you mean a BU video, 1 cool shot from 1 member? Good idea :)

TWD
14th Jun 2003, 04:56 PM
We want demos of you. People who we know that post on this forum. The video will several minutes so we'll have plenty of time to stick in all our coolest looking shots and tricks.

WebSlinger
14th Jun 2003, 04:57 PM
One of Rev's shots where he tags someone's XLoc midair with the LG definately needs to be in this vid.

Shuriken
14th Jun 2003, 05:05 PM
If I'm botmatching and demorec, does it do a host-type demo that when watching I can move around/change cams?

TWD
14th Jun 2003, 05:20 PM
If you take a demorec of a botmatch then it will be a serverside demo yes. Shots of you playing online or better yet at a fragbu are prefered. Killing bots isn't too impressive. If you can do a trickjump though then there doesn't even really need to be other players in the game.

Yeah we need to get some shots of rev hitting TL's.

Sir_Brizz
14th Jun 2003, 07:28 PM
Hedge popped one of Rev's TLs last night on FragBU. I almost did but he translocated to fast and got his head popped off lol. I wish I had THAT for the video ;)

edhe
15th Jun 2003, 11:51 AM
TTM would bea good idea for this, it can be set to auto-record demos with unique filenames. If playing fragbu on the web then webby are you going to have ttm active? or is that against the free-play fragbu idea without stupidly big dls? :)

One thing TWD - what one person defines as a good shot can be completely different to what another does.

You should also put a limit on it, FragBu footage only, imo, otherwise it'll loose it's community edge.

edhe
15th Jun 2003, 11:53 AM
p.s.
Recording TS2 chat might be funny for applying to the vid.

Draco 84
18th Jun 2003, 10:50 AM
Make sure that there is an official announcement if this really goes down...I want to see what you guys are capable of...

WebSlinger
18th Jun 2003, 10:58 AM
Make sure that there is an official announcement if this really goes down...I want to see what you guys are capable of...
maybe we should make this a "bloopers" video then?
;)

*NiKita*
18th Jun 2003, 12:28 PM
oooooooo....I can't wait to add in my nurse skin. I still have the screen shot of Webby flying in the air with the flagpole between his legs, that would've been good. ;)

TWD
18th Jun 2003, 12:33 PM
I agree with mored might be best to keep it to a fragbu only type thing. Also TTM might be a good thing if just for the recording.

All we really need to get started is an ftp or some way to share files (I guess we could do it through IRC DCC) and for webbie to start taking demos.

WebSlinger
18th Jun 2003, 12:52 PM
I'm not installing TTM on The Web

spineblaZe
18th Jun 2003, 01:47 PM
:lol: I saw Scumgrief get that headshot, because I saw someone flying off the tower and was getting ready to shoot him myself, but Scum beat me to it...

Then I hear on TS "OMG I just booted that guy off the tower with my shield and headshotted him..." Too cool.

I think all you have to do to record a demo is hit the tilde key to bring down the menu, and then type "demorec" without the quotes. It should record a demo of that level or until you quit....

TWD
18th Jun 2003, 02:01 PM
Well I don't really see any reason to not stick ttm up on a server. Don't like the hitsounds? You can turn them off. Hate brightskins fine don't use them. Any option you might have a problem with can be turned off. In fact you can have ttm running and not tell a difference between it and the normal game.

Renegade Retard
18th Jun 2003, 02:28 PM

Thank you. I like Vanilla, not Rocky Road.

Sir_Brizz
18th Jun 2003, 03:17 PM
Well I don't really see any reason to not stick ttm up on a server. Don't like the hitsounds? You can turn them off. Hate brightskins fine don't use them. Any option you might have a problem with can be turned off. In fact you can have ttm running and not tell a difference between it and the normal game.

Actually no... the timer is always there even if you try to turn it off, all the server side settings can't be changed and this INCLUDES your crosshair, your hud size, you detail settings (on some maps) et al. As far as I am concerned TTM is the worst piece of crap in existence. If it appeared on the Web I would stop going to FragBU's plain and simple.

TWD
18th Jun 2003, 04:42 PM
All serverside settings such as those mentioned can be voted on by the players or turned off by the server admin. The only thing you can't change is the clock on the hud and I can't see how you can absolutely hate that...

I have never had ttm force me to use one of it's crosshairs never changed my detail settings or my hud size.

WebSlinger
18th Jun 2003, 04:51 PM
I'm still not installing it, so y'all can argue about this somewhere else.

spineblaZe
18th Jun 2003, 05:34 PM
Thanks Web!!! I just uploaded it.

Yeah, this topic got hijacked. It went from "lets make a video" to "TTM pros and cons" :lol:

Sir_Brizz
18th Jun 2003, 06:52 PM
no public server admin can cast a vote very well. TTMv2.2 changed my crosshairs from my custom ones to thes eweird angles, and you can only use the "TTM approved" crosshairs on that server.

edhe
19th Jun 2003, 06:43 AM
TTM's great for matches, but it's not a 'public play' kinda thing

Here's an idea then, just set up a keybind for 'demorec' and at the start of the game hit the bind. The only thing i'm unsure of though is if it'll just record over the previous demo it took. If you want to make sure the demo's taken and is done right open the console (def. '@ key on euro, ` key on US afaik) and type a name in accordance with 'demorec fragbu-date-mapname-myname'

Radiosity
19th Jun 2003, 07:33 AM
Demos are saved sequentially:

demo000.dem
demo001.dem

etc :)

WebSlinger
19th Jun 2003, 07:51 AM
I'm trying to get SOMEONE to make an auto-demorec ServerActor for the server. Then I can upload them for y'all to download

[EDIT] Nevermind, see DaBeatard's post

DaBeatard
19th Jun 2003, 08:20 AM
Webby, am I way off base by pointing you to this (http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=242306) thread?

edit: I think edhe's suggestion of using demos from fragbu, to keep it within the community, is a good idea. :)

WebSlinger
19th Jun 2003, 09:09 AM
thanks DaBeatard

WebSlinger
19th Jun 2003, 09:18 AM
wait a minute... so this is currently implimented?!?

DaBeatard
19th Jun 2003, 09:28 AM
I think so, but I'm not certain. I believe that thread is about the 2199 patch. I'm just not positive whether everything in Pezman's post was actually implemented.

WebSlinger
19th Jun 2003, 09:30 AM
well p00p in my mouth and call me Leonard! It does work, I just tried it. I will be DEMOREC'ing all future FragBU's

then I have to let you all download them... I'll figure it out

TWD
19th Jun 2003, 12:36 PM
I haven't used fraps yet but I'm trying to find a way so that you can run fraps or other program and capture the output from another machine because fraps is pretty intensive and you can't run ut2003 with details full etc with fraps running.

WebSlinger
19th Jun 2003, 12:38 PM
fraps works best in OpenGL too IIRC (640x480 - 800x600 depending on system).

www.fraps.com

JohnDoe641
19th Jun 2003, 02:57 PM
fraps works best in OpenGL too IIRC (640x480 - 800x600 depending on system).

www.fraps.com
fraps suggests that the lardest res should be 640x480, otherwise the rest of the screen will be cut off.

I've recorded my demo's with fraps and they all look great.

Here's two examples:

Boom #1 (www.lod-hq.net/files/Videos/Grendelrocket.zip)

Some say this second video is to dark, others say it looks fine.
Boom #2 (www.lod-hq.net/files/Videos/Grendelrocket2.zip)

This was done with fraps and ecoded with xvid in Premiere.

Renegade Retard
19th Jun 2003, 03:15 PM
fraps suggests that the lardest res.....

I don't know why, but that cracked me up! :p

All the technical mobo-jumbo is way over my head, but I'd love to see some vids of FragBU matches. Hope it works Webby!

-AEnubis-
19th Jun 2003, 04:35 PM
If you bind a key to "demorec", like chainsaw said, it will save them secquentially with the default name Demo followed by the 3 digit number...

I really should try and start coming to these.

JohnDoe641
19th Jun 2003, 10:54 PM
I don't know why, but that cracked me up! :p

All the technical mobo-jumbo is way over my head, but I'd love to see some vids of FragBU matches. Hope it works Webby!
I really hate typos sometimes. :(

But atleast it gave somone a laugh. :p

Anyway, if anyone tried the vids, are they too dark? If so, I'll need to figure out that gamma adjustment feature in Premiere.

TWD
20th Jun 2003, 12:22 AM
Yeah they are pretty dark. Go ingame and change the brightness/gamma

Part of it is the level.

I agree we should keep it fragbu only but I think we can make a few exceptions. If you do a 1on1 with another buf that should be stuck in. As long as we keep it as much of shots of our community type thing.

Radiosity
20th Jun 2003, 04:39 AM
@JohnDoe - Search on Google (or find the link in the Fraps readme) for Virtual Dub. Using that, if you go to the video menu and select Filters you can then add a Brightness/Contrast filter to increase it. About 11% increase in Brightness does the job nicely :)

EDIT:
you can't run ut2003 with details full etc with fraps running.

I can and do run everything at full detail even when using Fraps, so if you want me to capture a demo and encode it I'd be happy to help out :) I also lower the mindesiredframerate to 1 so all those other little details from the shock combo and various trail effects don't disappear either.

Radiosity
20th Jun 2003, 10:18 AM
Nothing major really: XP1800+ at 1.53Ghz, 768mb DDR333 RAM, ti4400 128mb. Normally get around 40-50 fps consistent on all maps, obviously increasing or decreasing slightly depending how intense the map is (Chrome vs December for example), and that's with all details maxed and the additional stuff like projectors enabled :D
But since Fraps adjusts your ingame framerate to whatever you are capturing at, it doesn't make a lot of difference what details you're running, as long as your machine can handle the fps you've set in fraps. I normally capture at 15fps, so the game will run at 15fps for as long as I'm capturing. I've tried 30fps which runs better (and is therefore easier to play) but when you play the video back it looks like you were playing at 150% speed. 15 or 20 fps is good normally, and doesn't take as much space.

WebSlinger
20th Jun 2003, 10:26 AM
Some say this second video is to dark, others say it looks fine.
Boom #2 (www.lod-hq.net/files/Videos/Grendelrocket2.zip)
Too dark... SWEEEET frag

TWD
20th Jun 2003, 12:01 PM
So we'll be getting our first demos tonight right?

Sir_Brizz
20th Jun 2003, 12:04 PM
Same her chainsaw...I can have about anything running in the background and not experience any lag. The other day I have Matrix Reloaded running on my second monitor while I was playing ut2003 online :)

The Warden
20th Jun 2003, 05:14 PM
1) DO NOT RUN FRAPS in an actual game! (unless you like 30FPS! )

2) Demorec the game as usual

3) set up fraps, start demoplaying the demo in UT2K3, record in fraps.

4) go find the AVI Fraps just made.

5) edit with VirtualDub at will.

6) edit with some other program.

7) I have NO clue how to do steps 5 and 6, KTHXBYE!

DaBeatard
21st Jun 2003, 10:09 AM
Friday 6/20/03 FragBU Demos (http://www.dabeatard.com/files/fridayfragbu.zip) are here. They will stay there for one week.

Imaginos
21st Jun 2003, 11:24 AM

Amen, brother.

DaBeatard
22nd Jun 2003, 10:13 AM
Saturday 6/21/03 FragBU Demos (http://www.dabeatard.com/files/saturdayfragbu.zip) are here. They will stay there for one week.
approx 52 mb

Rev.Whoopass
22nd Jun 2003, 11:23 AM
TWD.the Citadel map on saturday fragbu. (maybe the 2nd or 3rd map) had some nice translocator/lightning gun shots.Someone who called themself "Becks",was the recipient.Possably good for teh movie

edhe
22nd Jun 2003, 03:39 PM
Note:- One person who dominated fragbu shouldn't dominate the film ;)

There's no I in FragBu! :-)

WebSlinger
22nd Jun 2003, 03:46 PM
Note:- One person who dominated fragbu shouldn't dominate the film ;)

There's no I in FragBu! :-)

WebSlinger
22nd Jun 2003, 03:48 PM
;) @ edhe

anyway... man, let's add some dang COMEDY to the video!!! This vid should be a representation of what FragBU is all about... FUN!

Yes, there are some amazing frags that happen, but just ask ReneRetard and Brizz and Hanover... there's also some VERY funny things that happen.

Hopefully we'll get some of that on one of the demos and hopefully we could include it in the final vid?

Sir_Brizz
22nd Jun 2003, 03:52 PM
Yes and with Demos....we can make the funniest ut2003 movie ever made :)

Rev.Whoopass
22nd Jun 2003, 04:00 PM
no one person "dominates" fragbu.

Websliger posted about having a midair trans shot in the vid,so I did a few.And now you all have the demo to use at your discression.

The video should have alot of differnt things in it.Focus on the "regulars" for the 1st part,maybe a couple scenes with each person.Then have the "comedic" part of the vid.

WebSlinger
22nd Jun 2003, 06:10 PM
Rev, good idea. I seriously think that a FragBU video should reflect the mood of FragBU's. We're not going to (shouldn't) have one of those "hey look at how 1337 I am" videos. If we put the comedy in... even if people think we're a bunch of goody good wankers, who cares? There are probably a lot of people out there tired of the 1337 attitude and just looking for a place to have fun. This should almost be an advertisement for BuF, and not necessarily FragBU.

shadow_dragon
22nd Jun 2003, 06:52 PM
I downloaded them but they wouldn't run when A: i didn't have the map needed or B: i don't have MapVoteVersionWhatever!

I'l retify that hopefull but you should be aware, MOds/muts and maps affect the people your advertising too! :)

(P.s/ Where do i get get mapvote, i can get maps at Nali easily enough but mapvote?)

Sir_Brizz
22nd Jun 2003, 08:26 PM
just connect to the web and you will cache it. well during fragbu at least :p

TWD
26th Jun 2003, 12:01 AM
Ok I went through a few of the demos. I think the best way to do this is to just in and spec yourself and point out anything you think is really cool or funny or whatever.

There isn't much in the first 7 demos. In demo 3 you get to see the 3 gay duo people (who if you watch you will find out are actually |C| members) scrim 2on1. In demo 6 you get to see me screw around for a long time and then kick the tail out of somebody named new setup. 8 is a DM in compressed between me thrawn zues thewalking man and at the end rev. Nothing too significant. Demo 9 is citadel rev always gets cool hits on citadel.

Renegade Retard
26th Jun 2003, 08:25 AM
.....We're not going to (shouldn't) have one of those "hey look at how 1337 I am" videos. If we put the comedy in... even if people think we're a bunch of goody good wankers, who cares? There are probably a lot of people out there tired of the 1337 attitude and just looking for a place to have fun. This should almost be an advertisement for BuF, and not necessarily FragBU.

TRANSLATION:

"We can get both great shots AND comedy. Let's just show a demo of Renegade. We'll wicked sick shots with Ren on the receiving end, plus we'll get comedy with him lagging off the map or fragging himself."

:D

Seriously though, I think we can pull of both. We do have some guys that can pull off some sick stuff, and we should have a lot of video of us having fun. Webby, that time on DeepSpirita on Friday night where you and I were jumping around each other trying to telefrag each other - something like that should be a good video. It would show us having fun, but also some pretty intense action (which, of course, resulted in the Retarted one losing).

As far as TWD's suggestion of everyone watching there own and pointing out what they'd like in the vid - Some of us aren't able to download every fragbu. I started to dl Friday's until I saw that I had 30 hrs left. ;)

WebSlinger
26th Jun 2003, 09:24 AM
LOL the telefrag battle was hilarious... at least it looked that way from my angle

Renegade Retard
26th Jun 2003, 09:58 AM
LOL the telefrag battle was hilarious... at least it looked that way from my angle

Looked funny from my angle too, at least until I saw the "You were killed by Webslinger_Buf." ;)

I haven't watched it, but I imagine it may look pretty cool on the vid.

TWD
26th Jun 2003, 11:49 AM
Right well if I got through all the demos and look at me and point out all my good shots and rev does the same that will help us along a lot. There's no way that one person can go through and see everything that goes on in a game.

Hanover_Fist
26th Jun 2003, 12:49 PM
Right well if I got through all the demos and look at me and point out all my good shots and rev does the same that will help us along a lot. There's no way that one person can go through and see everything that goes on in a game.

I've already gone through some of the FragBU demo's for my own personal use, I'm up to fridays dem0009.dem and have gone through every persons perspective in that particular demo.

I'm planning to go through them all just to learn, if you want me to I'll go through the one's that you select for me. Or whatever else you might need.

By the way, the Rev. misses alot of his LG shots.....I was surprised by that. ;)

Oh, and Gary[GayDuo] is "Survey_Says", in case you were wondering.

TWD
26th Jun 2003, 02:25 PM
Yeah the gayduo was placing up some sort of conspiracy! It's really funny what they say

Adminmessage: uhh everything ok in here guys?
Gary: no
Gary: i need water.

Hanover just write down how much time was left when you see something really cool or funny. Perhaps we can make a keybind so that next fragbu when you make a good shot you just press the button and it'll record the time and map to a text file.

Renegade Retard
26th Jun 2003, 02:28 PM
Oh, and Gary[GayDuo] is "Survey_Says", in case you were wondering.

Ahhhh, that explains a lot.

WebSlinger
26th Jun 2003, 02:30 PM
Perhaps we can make a keybind so that next fragbu when you make a good shot you just press the button and it'll record the time and map to a text file.Wow, that would be great! now, how do you do that?

Captain Kewl
26th Jun 2003, 03:15 PM
I could probably throw together a small mutator or something that'll allow users to log stuff.

TWD
26th Jun 2003, 04:55 PM
I have no clue I think it's possible though...we need a scripter to tell us how though.

Sir_Brizz
27th Jun 2003, 02:10 AM
I can tell you HOW to do it...doing it is a different story altogether! :p

Someone with experience could probably do that in like 10 seconds.

Captain Kewl
27th Jun 2003, 05:31 PM
Needs to be added to the server and ServerPackages, but all the logging is done clientside. Just bind a key in the config (I think it defaults to "p" if it's not set). Player name, date, map and game time are logged in UT2003.log and in TimeLog.ini.

WebSlinger
27th Jun 2003, 06:29 PM
wow, sounds cool.. my question is why does it need to be on the server if everything is done client-side?

I don't like to install things on the server, because with the reservation system in its current state, it's hard for me to get mutators working with it (doubt I'll ever have time to fix it).

Captain Kewl
27th Jun 2003, 07:01 PM
Because if it's only client-side it's a "cheat" (ala console hack), and may render users unable to connect to servers. Does TheWeb use UTSecure?

Sir_Brizz
27th Jun 2003, 08:00 PM
CK, do you mind if I rip the code out of this and see how you did it?

DaBeatard
28th Jun 2003, 10:54 AM
Friday 6/27/03 FragBU Demos (http://www.dabeatard.com/files/demos_06272003.zip) are here. They will stay up for 1 week. 134 mb.

[Ci]Necro
28th Jun 2003, 11:12 AM
If i remember correctly, i had a few sick shots last night... i cant remember the map, but the time was around 10pm eastern time (i was aliasing as "starman" or something like that, i dont remember much about last nite ;) )

<edit>
I went thru a few of the demo's and found a few shots that are decent/funny, or otherwise a candidate for the movie... when i get a spare moment, i'll turn them into a vid...

TWD
29th Jun 2003, 12:27 AM
Ok here's something funny though I did it in a botmatch. Dim face3 shot parody. I think if we remade this together on a fragbu it'd look much better, plus we can shoot a bunch of other setup stuff.

DaBeatard
29th Jun 2003, 10:19 AM
Saturday 6/28/03 FragBU Demos (http://www.dabeatard.com/files/demos_06282003.zip) are here. They will stay up for 1 week. 64 mb.

Captain Kewl
29th Jun 2003, 08:39 PM
Go nuts, Brizz. It's probably buggy anyway.

WebSlinger
29th Jun 2003, 08:53 PM
Lol @ Twd

Sir_Brizz
29th Jun 2003, 09:27 PM
Lol

pakman
2nd Jul 2003, 08:52 AM
Actually no... the timer is always there even if you try to turn it off, all the server side settings can't be changed and this INCLUDES your crosshair, your hud size, you detail settings (on some maps) et al.

Quoted statement seems like intentionally said lie. I don't know that person and don't know if that person has any reasons to tell such imaginative stories, but what really matters is that statement is, in fact, absolutely nonsence.

WebSlinger
2nd Jul 2003, 09:33 AM
heya pakman, welcome to BuF :wavey: ...

Now, here at BuF when someone says something that is wrong, we usually make an attempt to SHOW them the correction rather than just accusing them of outright lying or something along those lines :)

So, if you have something to contribute, perhaps other readers here would like to know how to do what it is he says can't be done :)

again, welcome, and enjoy your stay :)

No, I don't usually end every sentence with a smiley :) ... arg, I did it again :)

Renegade Retard
2nd Jul 2003, 09:47 AM
LOL Webby, I just noticed the comment under your name. "Dr. Webslinger" - looks like I created a monster! :lol:

Pakman - I'm have absolutely no knowledge on the subject, so please explain how he is wrong. I'm one of those techincal n00bs that's trying to learn, but making a comment without an explanation is not of any help.

BTW, Brizz is usually pretty knowledgable in tech issues, and he's a pretty swell guy. He's usually right on the money, but will admittedly be wrong from time to time. If he is wrong, show him why. He'll probably say "thanks for the enlightenment" and admit he's wrong. However, just bashing his comment with no explanation as to why will only cause him to stand by his previous statement.

Anyhow, welcome. We have a great community here. Just don't pet TWD - he bites.

TWD
2nd Jul 2003, 11:07 AM
awh...don't listen to him!

Actually in the newer version of ttm you can get rid of the timer and everything else for that matter. If the server has options enforced that means the server admin is an idiot, and doesn't know what he's doing. TTM is a good thing because some of us actually like the options and for those that don't you just turn it off.

Sir_Brizz
2nd Jul 2003, 06:58 PM
Most TTM server admins are idiots...well the ones I have played on :p

yah pakman...thanks for that enlightening bit of information...whether you are right or wrong we may never know.

pakman
3rd Jul 2003, 02:58 AM
So, if you have something to contribute, perhaps other readers here would like to know how to do what it is he says can't be done :)

If you or any other reader needs any info on TTM, feel free to come by TTM's site (http://www.planetunreal.com/ttm/). TTM's readme (http://www.planetunreal.com/ttm/ttmv22_readme.html) can also be of help to those interested.

Statement I quoted one post above doesn't says "something can't be done". Instead, it says that number of settings (some of which aren't even TTM's settings) doesn't has any effect on actual expirience from the game/mod. I have some reasons to believe it has nothing to do with reality.

Oh, and a smiley in return -- :)

pakman
3rd Jul 2003, 03:09 AM
Pakman - I'm have absolutely no knowledge on the subject, so please explain how he is wrong.
Ok, let's see.

TTM has some menu which you pop up by pressing F7 or typing "menu" in the console. Submenus are player-side settings, server-side settings and some others. To enter server-side settings menu you have to enter admin password first. Player-side settings have effect only on your machine, server-side settings are for the server :).

Quoted statement:
the timer is always there even if you try to turn it off, all the server side settings can't be changed and this INCLUDES your crosshair, your hud size, you detail settings (on some maps) et al.

1. the timer is always there even if you try to turn it off ---> Works fine for me and other users of TTM servers (25-30% of all UT2003 servers, I must add)

2. the timer is always there even if you try to turn it off ---> Works fine for me and other users of TTM servers

3. and this INCLUDES your crosshair --> (a) TTM's crosshair setting isn't server-side one and (b) it works fine for me and other users of TTM servers

4. your hud size ---> (a) Isn't server-side setting and (b) it works fine for me and other users of TTM servers

5. you detail settings ---> TTM just hasn't any special settings for world/players details. All of those settings are in UT2003 as it is even without TTM.

I have bug-reports forum for TTM and, surely, it isn't empty. There are some bugs in TTM, though I hope we leave less and less in every new release. IF you know any 500k-sized (source code) project without any bugs at all, please let me know. That should be first one I heard of.

I admit we had some issues with crosshair setting and HUD size in earlier versions, though it it's not problems of the "It can't be changed" kind.

Finally, I assure you that any person who writes nicely put question on TTM's forum or directly to me (pakman@mail.ru) gets nicely put answer pretty fast. Also, I read ina-community.com/forums from time to time and try to help those having any kind of problems running TTM servers on playing on'em. I suppose if quoted statement was put in more decent fashion, that person could even get some help pretty fast.

Anyhow, welcome. We have a great community here. Just don't pet TWD - he bites.

pakman
3rd Jul 2003, 03:16 AM
awh...don't listen to him!

Actually in the newer version of ttm you can get rid of the timer and everything else for that matter. If the server has options enforced that means the server admin is an idiot, and doesn't know what he's doing. TTM is a good thing because some of us actually like the options and for those that don't you just turn it off.

TTM's configurability indeed improves over time. v1 was released very fast (1 month after UT2003 release) and it's features weren't as configurable as I'd love to see'em. I don't feel very happy about the fact v1's brightskins forced everyone to use them if they were enabled server-side, same goes for hitsounds.

We did quite a lot of work to add as much configurability as it has sence in v2 and v2.2 is pretty stable while having all configurability posibilities of v2.

If you know some admin running TTM server, urge him to move to v2.2 or wait a week until we release v2.3, probably final v2.*. It should improve playing experience of the users of that server pretty much.

-AEnubis-
3rd Jul 2003, 02:12 PM
For those of you who don't feel like doing a whole lot of reading, or haven't figured it out on your own, pakman is on the TTM team.

He was just saying that what Brizz was saying is false, just being a little "witty" about it, though he was right. The clock know has a pull down menu player side, that has options for location which include not on your hud.

Hud size I've never seen ditatable server side, and I know because my scale has been custom since day 1. So unless it was a bug I never saw...

The crosshairs got fixed I believe in 2.2, another thing I know because after the "customcrosshairs patch", I was boycotting TTM servers until they fixed it, and now, I don't think it matter what I set the "TTM Crosshair" to, my customs overwrite that setting.

After that mother of all thread hijacks, Webby, I don't blame you for not wanting much installed on the server, and we were talkin' about making a video?....

Really wish you guys would play on random weekdays, or later on Fridays... working nights makes it tough for me to participate.

WebSlinger
3rd Jul 2003, 02:37 PM
thanks pakman!

AEnubis, I'm toying around with the idea of opening my server for Noon (CST) DM. We used to get a pretty good group in the UT99 days.

Sir_Brizz
3rd Jul 2003, 06:29 PM
Perhaps it is the fact that 20-30% of the TTM servers never get updated so always have the same buigs in them.

Most of my statements are from one server I joined where I couldn't change my crosshair to my custom crosshairs, and the HUD was about 50% smaller than what I used, and none of the settings in F7 would change it. I know that TTM has gotten alot better, I just don't like it.

Renegade Retard
3rd Jul 2003, 06:51 PM
AEnubis,

Give us a day or so heads up on when you can play during the week, and some of us will try to be there, I'm sure. If it's during the day, then I'm out, but evenings in middle of the week I'm game.

-AEnubis-
4th Jul 2003, 01:43 AM
Most of my days off get owned by mom, or some friend who needs a favor, but I'm hoping to be doing less ('cause I need to save money) in the near future, and will try to spend more time in front of this thing again (like the 30 hrs I used to put into UT a week). Other prob though is my days off change. This week it's mon/wed, and I think I've got plans on monday. Hopefully my days off will get more consistant in the future, but only time will tell.

Noon 'till when is the question. I'd fav it for sure, but I'm almost always asleep @noon. I may be likely to play some before work, which is usually around 5, and for sure after from around 1-6. Most people think working swing shift is weird, but someone has to do it.

TheGunkster
4th Jul 2003, 03:26 AM
The traditional noon dm usually would run from 12-1 cst (lunch break + boss who plays ut with him :p) but other than that its shut down during working hours, since its used for business :)

-AEnubis-
4th Jul 2003, 02:56 PM
Heard.... Then I assume it's a CTF pub during normal hours... don't bother on my account then.

DaBeatard
7th Jul 2003, 06:52 PM
Friday FragBU (http://www.dabeatard.com/files/fragbu_7-4.zip) 58 mb
Saturday FragBU (http://www.dabeatard.com/files/fragbu_7-5.zip) 124 mb

As usual they will stay up until next FragBU

WebSlinger
7th Jul 2003, 07:01 PM
:tup: thanks beat!

TWD
7th Jul 2003, 11:02 PM
We should really do that timestamp mutator.

I'd really like to start fraping these things but unfortunatly I"m behind a firewall and such so I wouldn't be able to give it to you. I've already mentioned a few shots that were great of mine if someone will fraps those that would be great and then I'll go through and find more shots from everyone that are all great and stuff.

A few things we need to decide on right now is
What size etc should we encode everything to
What music we gonna stick in it?

Hanover_Fist
8th Jul 2003, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the d/l Beat. :D

DaBeatard
8th Jul 2003, 11:56 AM
np on the dl.
TWD has asked some very good questions. What format/codec and size do the videos to be edited together get captured at? This definitely needs to be answered. Also, do we eliminate the hud and crosshairs etc for czpture?
More importantly, who is going to edit this together? That person should probably choose the format.
Also, if I decide to submit anything for this, it most likely will not be some crazy shot from a FragBU. I've seen enough 'trick shots' and 'trick jumps' to be bored to death with them. If I submit something it will be a scripted sequence like that 'Attack the Alpha' video was.
Sound effects and music I can help with.

DaBeatard
12th Jul 2003, 10:33 AM
FragBU Demos for Friday July 11 (http://www.dabeatard.com/files/fragbu_7-11.zip) 95.5 mb
Up for a week

DaBeatard
13th Jul 2003, 12:26 PM
FragBU Demos for Saturday July 12 (http://www.dabeatard.com/files/fragbu_7-12.zip) approx. 60 mb
Up for a week

missPoopShoot
14th Jul 2003, 03:40 AM
np on the dl.
TWD has asked some very good questions. What format/codec and size do the videos to be edited together get captured at? This definitely needs to be answered. Also, do we eliminate the hud and crosshairs etc for czpture?
More importantly, who is going to edit this together? That person should probably choose the format.
Also, if I decide to submit anything for this, it most likely will not be some crazy shot from a FragBU. I've seen enough 'trick shots' and 'trick jumps' to be bored to death with them. If I submit something it will be a scripted sequence like that 'Attack the Alpha' video was.
Sound effects and music I can help with.

OK... I'm not much of a player (I can beat 1on1 Godlike and sometimes win Masterful against multiple SuperBots but hey) but I'm good at video editing/compression :)

If you want good quality and codecs that everyone has then use DivX505 and VBRmp3 (LAME or something) at around 576x432. If you want supreme quality, lower filesize and decide to include codecs in the video's package then use DivX with ogg vorbis for the audio (muxed into an *.ogm). All video must be encoded in two pass as well. I see sooo many video with a low CBR when they could have used a two pass and got much better quality for the same filesize.

Fraps 2.0 is out as well! :D (Just noticed) And sound is captured with video in this version. YAY!

Features
Sound is captured along with the video.
High speed capture codec allows for recording games up to 1024x768.
Frame-skipping support, movies always run at the correct rate.
Full gamma correction on screenshots and movies. No dark captures!
Half-size record option lets you play in hi-res without chewing through disk space.
Ability to disable the overlay, and a hotkey to switch corners!
Much nicer user interface.

www.fraps.com

Unfortunately for me... until November I'm on 56k so until then I can offer myself as advisor only to the technical process if you want me :)

DaBeatard
14th Jul 2003, 12:53 PM
If many different videos are going to be edited together, should we compress after capture or not? Because the final edited piece will be compressed again, right? And compressing an already compressed video will lower the quality. Or am I way off base on this?

I wish I could have said that with afew less 'compressed'-s, but whatever

missPoopShoot
14th Jul 2003, 01:17 PM
If many different videos are going to be edited together, should we compress after capture or not? Because the final edited piece will be compressed again, right? And compressing an already compressed video will lower the quality. Or am I way off base on this?

I wish I could have said that with afew less 'compressed'-s, but whatever

You're not way off base at all. However, unless you have limitless storage you will need to compress your fraps (or similar) captured footage. When doing this however, you must use a codec which is (a) As lossless as possible (b) Can be read properly by Premiere.

Premiere can have problems reading mpeg4 variants like divx or xvid so you must use something like intel indeo 5.11.

I'll research and find out a good intermediate codec for you ;)

missPoopShoot
14th Jul 2003, 02:05 PM
[U]Suitable intermediate codec test results[/U

Original footage captured by Fraps
640 x 480, Uncompressed, 38 secs, 424mb

Footage dropped down and compressed (lossless)
576 x 432, HuffYuv2.11 codec, 38 secs, 303mb

This means that whoever cuts the movie will have to do it all themselves unless they have a t1 line or something. They will need to get the demos with a good job-spec as to when the good shots are. They can then capture, trim and (lossless) compress each scene.

If people want, the editor could then upload a heavily compressed version of the day's shots to some webspace so we can all see.

I just did a quick test and found that a two second shot will be about 10mb which is more managable if people are desperate to cut and compress their own shots.

Something to chew on anyway... :)

DaBeatard
19th Jul 2003, 10:58 AM
FragBU Friday July 18 (http://www.dabeatard.com/files/fragbu_7-18.zip) As usual, they will stay there for 1 week. 22.3 mb.

Is anyone dl'ing these and pulling clips?

@poopshoot. Thanks for the info.

If this video is going to happen it would be nice to know if anyone is capturing or atleast noting where cool stuff is.

TWD
19th Jul 2003, 11:26 AM
I've been downloadin them. However I can't capture them. I don't have any video editing tools, and I have no way to transfer the files to anyone else :\

missPoopShoot
22nd Jul 2003, 06:05 AM
I have fraps 2.0.0 retail now :)

DaBeatard
26th Jul 2003, 02:32 PM
Friday 7-25-03 FragBU Demos (http://www.dabeatard.com/files/fragbu_7-25.zip) will stay in place for a week. 95.7mb

and

Saturday 7-19-03 FragBU Demos (http://www.dabeatard.com/files/fragbu_7-19.zip) Small file, doesn't look like many people showed that night.

TWD
2nd Aug 2003, 10:43 AM
I tried doin the fraps on my computer but it didn't work too well. There are two absolute musts from the last string.

In the face3 map I do the jump off the edge shoot the combo down and then hit the jumpad land by the pyramid and hit the combo (first try too). I've done it before, there might be a demo out there of it but whatever.

In grendal keep scumgrief does a impact hammer jump onto the bridge and then does a falling combo onto me.

Both maps were towards the end like within the last 5, I'm not sure where exactly they were I'm still downloading.

poopshoot: can you fraps these two and then compress it to something nice for us?

Sir_Brizz
2nd Aug 2003, 08:21 PM
dont forget my headshot on rev on citadel through a popped combo!!

DaBeatard
5th Aug 2003, 09:45 AM
Alright...since no one seems to be willing to do any actual work on this, I'll have a go at it. Here's the deal- If you can frap some stuff on your own that's great. Set the camera up all nice and pretty and get a good capture. If you can get sound, even better. No music please, and no HUD or crosshair on the video capture (unless you really want it). If you can't capture somethin yourself then you need to tell me EXACTLY when and on what map the shot is, and whether you want first or third person pov. I am not going to sit in front of my computer for ten minutes watching you run around, and then another ten minutes to set the camera right, and then another ten until I can capture it. If you want a nice shot do it yourself.
Once you have a captured shot pm me a download link or find me on the fragbu irc channel and give me the file(s) there.

CrazyCougar
5th Aug 2003, 10:20 AM
Fraps is easy to setup. You need to have some codec's installed to record the vid. You then need to run UT2k3 at 640x480 resolution. Crank up the details and make try and keep the FPS at around 25-30 min.

Set Fraps to record at at least 25 fps and you should be fine.

Once you've got the vid recorded load up virtualdub and resave it into a more suitable codec(ie, divx5 or so).

You can trim the vid with virtualdub if you happened to record too early or didn't stop it soon enough.

methodfx
6th Aug 2003, 11:42 AM
i can frap stuff....but when its all done, it ends up being like 500 mb for 10 secs of recording =\

BigFolks
6th Aug 2003, 02:44 PM
]x[isspoopshoot after all those times i've read past your name i am amazed to see how long it took me to catch on. YOUR NAME IS HILARIOUS!

Sir_Brizz
6th Aug 2003, 10:52 PM
Where do you get fraps??

BigFolks
7th Aug 2003, 12:29 AM
Where do you get fraps??

http://www.fraps.com

DaBeatard
7th Aug 2003, 08:19 AM
It looks like I'll be doing most of the capturing myself. So if you have any good shots/caps/suicides/funny crap, post when and where in this thread:
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=112908