winamp problem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Frostblood

Strangely compelling...
Mar 18, 2001
Blighty
winamp has b0rked up and cannot play any files. Whenever I try and start a file, it pops up the message "The specified format cannot be translated or supported" with the title of the message box as "Nullsoft waveOut Plugin 2.3". This suggests it could be a plugin problem, but i have changed no options since yesterday when it worked fine.

Any ideas?

Frostblood

Strangely compelling...
Mar 18, 2001
Blighty
I think the problem is a hardware one. No sound at all works on the PC and the little system tray volume control icon ( for Win98 ) isnt there. I did nothing to cause this, as far as I know...I have a soundblaster 16 compatible i believe...its about 5 years old since i've had it since the computer was first bought ( back when it was a P75Mhz )

Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

JTRipper

Chimpus Maximus
Sep 12, 2001
Denial
www.planetunreal.com
When all else fails, yank the drivers and reinstall. ;) Before doing that though, pop into the control panel and check out "Sounds". Highlight any one of the sounds that are set, and see if the play button stays greyed out or turns black ("usable"). If it goes black but nothing plays, you've probably got a dead card. In either case though, boot to safe mode and open device manager. Yank anything that even looks like a sound card under "sound, video & game controllers" and reboot. Have your driver disk handy in case Windows doesn't have the .inf, but it should.

One other thought - if it's that old, might it be an ISA card? If so, before yanking drivers double-click "computer" at the top of the device manager list and see that nothing is trying to share an IRQ with it. Generally, ISA cards hate that.

cdeaconu

waiting for the worms
Jul 13, 2001
not far enough
www.geocities.com
Nullsoft WaveOut is the default selection for plugins.

What type of file is it?

Go to control panel->Multimedia->Sound options, see what the output is.

Have you installed any devices recently? (e.g. Mp3 Player, MD player)

Is the file itself corrupted?

Did u run a virus check?

There are a million more things that can be wrong...

Frostblood

Strangely compelling...
Mar 18, 2001
Blighty
Thanks for your help...

I'm now sure its a hardware problem. No sound at all works, and in "Device Manager" it says there is an unspecified prob. with my sound card. It could be drivers, but it worked fine 2 days ago so i greatly doubt it. Looks like it's time for a new card basically...

JTRipper

Chimpus Maximus
Sep 12, 2001
Denial
www.planetunreal.com
Well, a 5 year old card is probably due for a change anyway. :( The good news is that a Live value edition is a good, cheap card. If you want a great, not-neccessarily-cheap card, the Audigy is nice. I'd still try yanking/reinstalling though - if it's not working anyway, you're not going to break anything.