PDA

View Full Version : Omg Leviathan Rocks!

Trynant
3rd Mar 2002, 09:59 PM
this map is great! u can get it off NC btw, and just look at it!

the graphics are...... the best i've ever seen for UT

the bots do EVERYTHING (I learned where the keg o' health was from them!)

the main problem is the spamming opportunities during the game.

bots 10
architecture 10
sound 10
flow 10
playability 9 (it's more tight than other maps but still avoids spam)
fun factor 8.5 (you cant really top some fun other maps out there)
lighting 10
theme 10
items 10 (especially considering where the keg is :D )
textures 10

the total 9.5 (9.75)

download it if you don't believe me, and then post your opinion about me being wrong here :rolleyes:

Mxtrmntr
4th Mar 2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Trynant
this map is great! u can get it off NC btw, and just look at it!

the graphics are...... the best i've ever seen for UT

the bots do EVERYTHING (I learned where the keg o' health was from them!)

the main problem is the spamming opportunities during the game.

bots 10
architecture 10
sound 10
flow 10
playability 9 (it's more tight than other maps but still avoids spam)
fun factor 8.5 (you cant really top some fun other maps out there)
lighting 10
theme 10
items 10 (especially considering where the keg is :D )
textures 10

the total 9.5 (9.75)

download it if you don't believe me, and then post your opinion about me being wrong here :rolleyes:

If you mean DM-Leviathan, then you're definetely wrong imo... played it only for a few minutes a few days ago, because someone mentioned it in another thread (maybe it was you) as an example for great debut maps, but I didn't really like it, very dark, not very beautiful, kinda bad flow...some interesting ideas and not too bad atmosphere (well, maybe because you get a bit claustrophobic in there), but your rating is way too high...

Trynant
4th Mar 2002, 03:02 PM
not beautiful! wtf, looks great!.
As for flow there are barely any snags I've seen and all you have to remember is not to jump in the teleporter barrel places. Flow is bad on maps with bunch of boxes and snaggy stairways, that's not leviathan.
Actually I keep my brightness up when I play, so darkness may be a problem.
It's one of the maps I play frequently.
Oh well. Everyones entitled to their own opinion (this is a thread). This maps looks like it's going to be hit or miss.

Hourences
4th Mar 2002, 03:32 PM
6/10

some good ideas, but all poor executed, typical avg map from a learning mapper, he tried of mkaing a cool settings, wich is always nice but cmon, cave textures with decayed with skaarj with nalicastle >> ermmm + leet uber white not good sourced white light + uberleet messy architecture
and ghey items, lol a redeemer in such a small dm map, thats just erm sick :) and flow isnt good too, just alot of corridors, some parts are way too isolated

you give items a 10 cause he placed them original and you had too search after them, erm dood, this isnt a hide and seek game where the mission is to search the items ...
textures 10 ? i found 8754.1244 misalligned and poorly choosen textures, so dont say its leet
lol architecture 10 ? its ubermessy build
lol light a 10 ? its ****ing boring dull overall not well sourced light wich does nothing to the theme

now you compare this map with some real good maps, and the you ask yourself, how well is this in comparisation with the real leet maps, and then you ask yourself, is this really a 10 then ? a 10 means uber****ingultra leet stuff, wich is so leet it became a perfect thing, you really cant give it to this

Eyuva 'S' NRG
4th Mar 2002, 09:30 PM
alright lets see a screenshot of this *uberleet* schit.

Trynant
5th Mar 2002, 01:30 PM
The reason why I said the textures were great was because he did get the really crappy texture packages and made the map look good. That's what I think is impressive.

I was spamming with the tens mostly tho :p

ur right about isolation. But hide and seek? The items weren't that hard to get. Yeah lighting is boring tho.

everyone has their opinion including me and I like this tight little map. I'd attach a screen shot but I'm super lazy

Hourences
5th Mar 2002, 02:17 PM
ermmmmmmm you just gave the map almost a 10/10, that means a perfect map, and now you are saying yourself that the light is a bit boring, erm that is not perfect

Trynant
5th Mar 2002, 05:20 PM
i didn't give the map of ten overall.
i was spamming mostly with the ratings, except for the bots.

I'm willing to lower everything else to slightly above average now.
Lighting is average though :( . but the rest of Leviathan is great!

I am especially displeased with the people who don't like the applied textures. I like the fact that the map looks the way it did with the textures applied to it. I don't like the misalignments as much though. So the texture isn't perfect.

As for flow there are several areas that are lonesome, so the flow really just goes to the center of the map (the atrium). But the flow isn't hindered by any snags as far as I could find and I tried. I like the fact that the map is so easy to move around in. Connectivity is great in this level.

The best parts of the map ARE perfect or atleast .5 away from it.
The bots don't get stuck on any part of the map and they go for every item. That's definitely better than some maps as some of the items here were hidden behind doors and needed the grav boots to get to the top of.

Fun factor isn't as great as maps I know of, that's definitely true. Sfear][ was fun, Diamond was fun, AggressiveTendecies was fun.
This is better than most maps I know as average though, (fun factors hard to hit with).

Playibility is not a 10 either I admit that (I told u I was spamming a lot of this). The smallness of this map gives way to spam and the z's are missing in places. That's not to say leviathan isn't playable. There's great action in the center and even if this resembles r-c-r-c (which it doesn't might i add), enemies attack every direction. And Leviathan doesn't have the really small corridors that are horrible to play in. The map is far from flat but not as much as places like Brunel or Seraphim.

Item placement is excellent except for the redeemer and the sniper rifle which shouldn't be in a map so small. And the redeemer is placed sensibly.

This level has the detail attended to and sound is no difference, the only problem is the lighting is also unattented to in the audio department.

this is the rating i'd give if I wasn't spamming

Fun Factor 6
Playibility 8
Lighting 4
Architecture 10
Bots 10
Items 9
Flow 8
Texture 8
Theme 9
Sound 7

Total 7.5 (7.9)

Hourences
5th Mar 2002, 05:56 PM
your score is still too high :P compare every aspect of the map with a few uber maps like your mentioned brunel and seraphim and compare it with that, on all fields, and then you tell me how much faults and stuff you find in Leviathan wich should be differnt (and then think of the fact that brunel only got a 8 or something and seraphim a 9.5 i thought, but still not a 10 wich you gave it or the 8 wich you gave it now :) but if you like the map no prob, but the map isnt good :)

Trynant
6th Mar 2002, 03:58 PM
YOU gave brunel an eight :rolleyes:

considering it now i think that the reason i liked this map was it's fun factor and thematic execution, those were 9s. It was rare that I was attacked by somebody on the same level as I was. The bots got played impresively and got even the hard to reach items, and what! you think the flow is bad!

I go with the flow and I find that's a good quality in leviathan (semi-good). First the flow is good in that it doesn't snag anywhere i've seen, the connectivity is good for me except that the layout is a little complex. The only bad thing about flow is that it doesn't make you go everywhere all the time but definitely loops.

playibility has to be lowered because of it's polys but there's nothing that stops it other than that.

texturing has some bad quirks and misalignments. The way the texturing is done in leviathan is so that each separate aspect is average but the overall effect is great (hence high thematic score)
I looked at the textures and thought that the map was a different look for UT without being gimmicky. It DOES have misalignments I'll give u that.

Items are a 6. There are some cool places the specials are hidden and the items have had care added to them. The main problem is that the author tried to add every item to the map, but he did a good job at that.

Lighting's dead average. I was spamming the first time I put a ten there.

Sound is there and music is added too. I think doors would have been an improvement as it does wonders for the gameplay (read DavidM's tutorial about gameplay thoughts and you'll know what i mean).

Overall the enviroment is great and the gameplay is average. I still say this map should land around a seven if I used NC's schematics.

Trynant
6th Mar 2002, 03:59 PM
AND I WAS SPAMMING WITH THE TENS

Trynant
6th Mar 2002, 04:01 PM
sorry about saying that I'd still give architecture and bots a ten.
maybe not architecture :p .

Hourences
6th Mar 2002, 04:30 PM
1. i did not gave brunel an 8, that revuiew on nc is not from me, i just commented it
2. i would give it a 8.5, only reason why the map gets only 8's everywhere is cause there are too many polys for most systems
3. you are funny and im not gonna type more, takes too much time
4. theme is something else then lookign at a dull substracted cube with ghey textures that does nothing to you, the enviroment sux, its poorly executed, cool idea, but does nothing
5. who cares about bots :P

Trynant
10th Mar 2002, 03:15 PM
a subtracted cube! are we looking at the same map? probably not

some of the textures are gay.......

environment...... it's too based on opinions for this map.

I'm just a little tired of this conversation I'm going to work on my map now. Then you'll get to see what a bad map is :p

however, the name of the reviewer for Brunel at NC is H-O-U-R-E-N-C-E-S I guess the name's popular....

Mxtrmntr
10th Mar 2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Trynant
a subtracted cube! are we looking at the same map? probably not

some of the textures are gay.......

environment...... it's too based on opinions for this map.

I'm just a little tired of this conversation I'm going to work on my map now. Then you'll get to see what a bad map is :p

however, the name of the reviewer for Brunel at NC is H-O-U-R-E-N-C-E-S I guess the name's popular....

you say Hourences is the reviewer! are we looking at the same review? probably not :p

err, now seriously, he wasn't the reviewer, his user comment just made it on the main page, as a quote for the hotlist

(just to clarify that)

Hourences
10th Mar 2002, 05:13 PM
learn to read

and dont use the lame excuse ''its your opinion'' tjhats highly ghey and stupid, if it sux it just sux, if i make a cube with 800 purple discolights and if i say then its ****ing leet then thats my opion too ? no the map just totaly sux then, you dont need to have alot of opinion for that then