New PC Game Boxes... my outlook.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kibbles-N-Bits

Dec 7, 1999
I know there are other threads for this, but they get to the point where they are so long that the original topic is lost. Then no one reads them and they get pushed off the page.

Anyway. Recently, or rather since the release of Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, a new trend has developed. PC game boxes are smaller. A lot of people like this new turn towards minimalizing clutter and all that, while other loathe the new box sizes because they like box art and enjoy wasting large amounts of space.

As for me, I like the new boxes. They still have box art, although maybe not as much. But you aren't buying a game for the box art. They take up less space which is a big plus. I currently have exactly 82 computer games. Out of these 82 games, I have 63 of the boxes on a shelf. They are taking up a massive amount of space. I don't want to throw them out, because I spent money on these games and I know from past experiences that they will eventually be played again... and again... and again. Hell, I still play Kings Quest.

Anyway. The new boxes are roughly the size of a paperback novel, a bit larger maybe. They look nice on my bookshelves. Not so out of place. Also, if this trend continues, then one day you will see the boxes of complex games such as simulators, reaching the same size. This restricts the amount of space that game designers can pack a manual into. So? Put it on a CD! With the manual on one cd and the game on another, how can you go wrong? Perhaps the smaller boxes will promote the use of posters to display game art. This would be great.... I mean hey, if I got posters for all my favorite games, I wouldn't have such incredibly boring white walls anymore :D

Anyway, in conclusion... I like the new boxes.

ThunderChunky

L337 Cube H@X0®
Jul 1, 2000
Agreed about the manuals being on paper rather than CD.

But the I do like the new boxes. :)

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
Possible solution: Chances are you will only need a manual with a complicated sim, as most games have tutorials these days. Have an option to order a paper manual for 5 bucks for so, or have them sold at the store. That'll just be an option if you hate CD manuals.

Sheesh, I've been lurking these forums for about 3 years and I'm up to what.... 200 posts?

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
Yeah, I'm back (again). I actually never leave, I just lurk for months at a time until I feel like posting again. I've been lurking here for years.

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
Well i just picked up Star Trek: bridge commander today, which also came in one of those little boxes. I was pleasently surprised to find a 94 page manual contained in the box (for reference the new boxes are just a little bigger than a N64 box, except they're vertical, rather than horiztonal.)

So perhaps these small boxes don't cast a death sentence on manuals... The manual is roughly about the size of a novel ( or your average TV guide) in dimensions.

Judgeing by the left over space in the box when it's filled by the manual and CD (normal sized jewlcase) it apears at max you could fit a manual of about 200 pages in the box. maybe 300, if you used one of those thin jewl cases, So by no means do i think that paperback manuals are comprimised by the new boxes, except in extreeme cases where games need huge manuals (688's 800 page manual for example) in which case i'd simply suggest to gaming manufactures to sell the book with the disc in a slip. (kinda like those overpriced "learn programing/webdesign/desktop publishing ect books.) That way you wouldn't need a box. Just print than manual, put the cd in a slip in the back, and shrink wrap it.

the nothing

Dec 10, 2001
Visit site
I do like the new box sizes... but, I have no space to store something that I will likely no longer use, they, like every other game box or package I have had, go to the trash. If I had enough space to put a shelf to store the game boxes, I would go out and buy a shelf to do so. But then, there is also the tight budget problem and-

*Gets punched in the stomach*

Ok... I think i'll stop talking now...

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
If a box is any larger than ((manual width + box thickness)(manual height + box thickness)(manual + jewel case thickness + box thickness)) then I'd consider it a waste... and if the cover art is an issue, why not just print the boxes at a higher resolution or something?

Kibbles-N-Bits

Dec 7, 1999
... higher res. Which is why I would suggest companies include posters for thier games. Or maybe cool sh*t like patches (ala RTCW) and stickers (like Red Faction). Or maybe cool action figure things like Tiberian Sun and model trains like Railroad Tycoon 2.

I personally want to see more stickers for games... like the UT ones that have the red team and the blue team logos and then the UT logo and such... my PC case is a bit bare at the moment. ;)