PDA

View Full Version : CTF-SquirrelRun new version ready for testing

Squirrel4
1st Mar 2002, 03:23 PM
Ok people I was rather dissappointed by the feedback in the previous version of this map. I basically only got info from Chrysaor, which was a big help, but I need some other people to give me some feedback as well. I have made a bunch of changes to this version, made it look a lot prettier and have fixed some trim where needed. I also added some mirrors, which I don't whether they look good or not, but I want to see what you guys think. Since it is still too big to place on here you have to follow the same link as before for the new file:
http://www.chapman.edu/~sprig100/UT/CTF-SquirrelRun.zip

AMmayhem
1st Mar 2002, 03:37 PM
Downloading it now. I'll tell ya what I think hopefully before the weekends over, it's going to be kind of busy for me.

GMotha
1st Mar 2002, 03:57 PM
No screens, no down

Squirrel4
1st Mar 2002, 04:44 PM
Here is first screen shot of outside of red base, my computer takes dark screen shots even though i try to bump up brightness.

Squirrel4
1st Mar 2002, 04:45 PM
Second shot, not great quality either.

Markie
1st Mar 2002, 05:41 PM
Just downloaded it. I'll play it and post feedback asap. :cool:

AMmayhem
2nd Mar 2002, 10:33 AM
Me likes. Although it is a little bit longer distance than I tend to care for, but it's not such a big deal here. Good architecture IMO, the cave with the rocks jutting out everywhere was sweet. I like your skybox with both the cloud sheets in it, that was a cool idea. Texturing was good. Overall I didn't see any problems with it. :tup: :tup: And your two screenshots are really dark, just to let people know.

GMotha
3rd Mar 2002, 06:15 AM
Played it and quite liked it:)

Markie
3rd Mar 2002, 12:01 PM
I had fun playing this one, but there are a few things that could be improved.

Lighting was the worst part of the map, all the lamps didn't look like they were giving off light.
You could place some bright lights with a small radius near them, or make the lamptextures 'special lit'
and place lights near them which are also set to 'special lit'. This way you can adjust the brightness
of the lamps, without affecting the textures around them.

The map is nicely build, but the bases did look a bit boxy. There were also a lot of different textures
used in the bases, which didn't make it look better.

Bots were good but I didn't see them take the 'cave route', you might want to make this route easier to reach
by placing a lift outside it or something like that. There was just one way to get there now.
The bots also got stuck at one point, I took a screenshot of it. The screenshot will also show a texture
which isn't supposed to be there, I think. ;)

It's still a good map though, it just needs some more work. :)

Markie
3rd Mar 2002, 12:06 PM
Oops, that screenshot was kinda big...

Squirrel4
4th Mar 2002, 12:19 AM
Good stuff people. Yeah, I am going to work on improving the lighting, it seems like depending on what graphics mode you are using, the lighting looks extremely different. On my computer everything looks good, and the sources look fairly realistic (i did use lights with small radius/high brightness near light sources) but on some other computers I notice it looks much darker and less realistic. I will hopefully fix this. I am going to add some renovations in the main bases, adding another route or two. I will try to fix the bot problems, especially at that middle grating thing, it has been a problem for a bit now. Keep letting me know what else needs work, or what is good, I am going to made some last changes then release it, hopefully within the week.

Balton
8th Mar 2002, 09:53 AM
my input.

make the light better. if you could hit the same tone the skybox has it would be nice. than the skybox is panning too fast. if you would add some wind houls it would seem to be a bit more realistic of if you just slow the panning down. and add more ambient sound. this map screams for those. and change the interior of the bases. the metalish like walls don't go right with the shiny marble floor. you might want to look at those things...

Squirrel4
8th Mar 2002, 01:39 PM
Just wondering if anybody can tell me how to slowdown/or speed up the panning on something?

AMmayhem
8th Mar 2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Squirrel4
Just wondering if anybody can tell me how to slowdown/or speed up the panning on something?

I do it by stretching the texture. You can do this in the texture properties just under the texture scaling. You'll see a U and V next to the box where you insert a number. Remember too, each box has to have a number. If you want to stretch the V, but not the U, set the U to 1. Or vice-versa.

Squirrel4
8th Mar 2002, 04:05 PM
Hourences replied in a nother post that you don't need to stretch the texture, you can go into the zone actor that is in the same zone as the texture and go into its zonelight properties then there are vpan upan speed settings.

Balton
8th Mar 2002, 06:58 PM
Hourences replied in a nother post that you don't need to stretch the texture, you can go into the zone actor that is in the same zone as the texture and go into its zonelight properties then there are vpan upan speed settings.

correct...

AMmayhem
9th Mar 2002, 09:45 AM

Sweet :tup:

Squirrel4
10th Mar 2002, 07:48 PM
The final version is complete, I uploaded it to stealthdp's site. I will upload it here probably soon. THanks for all your help guys.